DTD154 and XDT14Z query

ps2user

I've just treated myself to a DTD154 impact driver and wanted to know if this is the same as the US version XDT14Z? They look the same and has the 3 speed settings but the US version lists it has 'Quick Shift mode' but there is no mention in the UK site for the DTD154. Does this mean the US version has an extra feature compared to the UK version?

• Like 2

Quick shift mode is the american name for the 'Tek' mode your  DTD154 has :)

It starts in high speed for drilling the hole with self drilling tek screws. When it has to apply  torque to 'thread' the screw in it auto downshifts to a lower speed so you have more control to seat the screw better without over torqueing it :)

Sorry if this sounds like crap english :D

8 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Quick shift mode is the american name for the 'Tek' mode your  DTD154 has :)

It starts in high speed for drilling the hole with self drilling tek screws. When it has to apply  torque to 'thread' the screw in it auto downshifts to a lower speed so you have more control to seat the screw better without over torqueing it :)

Sorry if this sounds like crap english :D

Right, essentially to avoid stripping the threads out in the metal, or should I say stripping the metal out from the threads....

• Like 1

Thanks guys, never understood why we sometimes have different names for the same thing. What is their marketing department thinking?

So the Tek mode is really for drilling TEK screws (Will need to go on internet to find out what they are lol)? Can I really use it for normal screws, as i like the idea it auto downshifts the speed to control the screw and not over torque it? I think it doesn't help that i brought it because i had a discount voucher to use and i like the idea it had 3 settings for speed compared to the lower models. But it is a huge weight difference compared to my BHP481 so hopefully will complement it well on my next DIY project whenever that is

Just need to start looking at impact bits - any good recommendations?

Just went back on the US website and its listed as two different functions

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XDT14Z

• Quick-Shift Mode™ selector has an automatic electronic controller that downshifts and reduces rotation and impact speed prior to driving screw into place, and is engineered to minimize screw thread stripping, screw breakage and damage to work
  • Tightening Mode (T-mode) for faster tightening of self-drilling screws; helps prevent damage to the screw or workpiece

So i'm assuming T-mode is the US term for TEK mode mentioned by Kornomaniac and Quick-Shift Mode is something different but there is no mention in the manual? I'm confused lol

7 hours ago, Jronman said:

does it have a mode similar to precision drive mode on my dcf887. where the impact has low rpm and low ipm?

its better than the dewalt, that dewalt precision mode is stupid if you ask me, took forever, assist mode starts off slow and speeds up allowing your screw to set, tex mode is the opposite balls out speed to tap a hole and backs off to prefer over torquing, I'm sure mode 1 has a low torque setting thought that is closer to the milwaukee speed 1

11 hours ago, ps2user said:

Thanks guys, never understood why we sometimes have different names for the same thing. What is their marketing department thinking?

So the Tek mode is really for drilling TEK screws (Will need to go on internet to find out what they are lol)? Can I really use it for normal screws, as i like the idea it auto downshifts the speed to control the screw and not over torque it? I think it doesn't help that i brought it because i had a discount voucher to use and i like the idea it had 3 settings for speed compared to the lower models. But it is a huge weight difference compared to my BHP481 so hopefully will complement it well on my next DIY projecft whenever that is

Just need to start looking at impact bits - any good recommendations?

Yeah teks are a brand name and pretty universal for describing and ol self tappers... 

By normal screw, do you mean wood? I think you might want just the opposite of tek mode for driving wood screws.

Play around with it and you'll get use to it in no time

2 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

its better than the dewalt, that dewalt precision mode is stupid if you ask me, took forever, assist mode starts off slow and speeds up allowing your screw to set, tex mode is the opposite balls out speed to tap a hole and backs off to prefer over torquing, I'm sure mode 1 has a low torque setting thought that is closer to the milwaukee speed 1

I actually like the precision drive mode on my dcf887. I could see how you like the Makita better though.Thanks for the info.

18 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yeah teks are a brand name and pretty universal for describing and ol self tappers... 

By normal screw, do you mean wood? I think you might want just the opposite of tek mode for driving wood screws.

Play around with it and you'll get use to it in no time

Thanks - I think less thinking and reading and just play around is better :)