So much for American assembled

Biggie

Just got a dck299p2 combo kit and open it up to find that the 887 impact isn't assembled right.  Where the plastic housing meets the metal, the plastic wasn't seated right and it was tightened up there.  There was a small tab on the plastic that I actually had to cut off to get it to snap together right.  I'm not sure if it was a manufacturing flaw or a bit of damage from tightening it without it being in the proper spot.  

It wasn't a big deal.  I know I could have just returned it but I was able to fix it by just loosening up half the screws and not actually splitting the case.  I know in manufacturing this kind of stuff is going to happen, but it just kind of shows assembled in the USA doesn't always make it better.  I'm more of a milwaukee guy and this was a kit for one of our work trucks so I had to stir the pot a little.

image.jpg

• Like 1

I can't speak for tools but I buy redwing and Danner boots that are made in the USA and I always end up with defected boots- one boot bigger and/or longer than the other, crooked stitching, uppers crooked from the lowers. I hate to say it but I prefer a machine made boot over a hand made boot. USA tags just don't always speak quality anymore

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biggie said:

I'm more of a milwaukee guy and this was a kit for one of our work trucks so I had to stir the pot a little.

I'm sure your Chinese tools work great!!! (jab jab stiring the pot lololololol)

I can't speak for tools but I buy redwing and Danner boots that are made in the USA and I always end up with defected boots- one boot bigger and/or longer than the other, crooked stitching, uppers crooked from the lowers. I hate to say it but I prefer a machine made boot over a hand made boot. USA tags just don't always speak quality anymore

It really is a shame. I buy Ariat work boots mainly because I go through at least one pair of boots a year, regardless of the make. And also I can go into any western ware store, and get replacement insoles, laces, or a complete new pair if I have to. Never had a huge failure thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 hours ago, Foneguy said:

Quality control is a thing of the past everywhere ... it just seems to be a "that's no too bad" attitude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which surprised me when the new Festool sanders started showing problems, ya never know

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AnonymousJoe said:

I've bought Redwing boots for the last 5 years I guess.... while I've never had an issue straight out of the box, there have been some VERY disappointing letdowns.

The first pair was their Irish Setter shoe I got about 5 years ago and I still throw them on sometimes around the house, love them.

I bought a pair of Redwings couple years ago and get home to put them on, one of the lace hooks popped right off and hit the opposite end of the room!  Got a new pair and a month later the hooks popped off again! Got a new pair and finally they must have fixed that issue because they lasted about 2 years

My most recent redwings, the sole started separating and I had to get a replacement set under warranty....

I've heard good things about Thorogood, so i'll check into them next...

wait weren't we talking about dewalt?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I've bought Redwing boots for the last 5 years I guess.... while I've never had an issue straight out of the box, there have been some VERY disappointing letdowns.

The first pair was their Irish Setter shoe I got about 5 years ago and I still throw them on sometimes around the house, love them.

I bought a pair of Redwings couple years ago and get home to put them on, one of the lace hooks popped right off and hit the opposite end of the room!  Got a new pair and a month later the hooks popped off again! Got a new pair and finally they must have fixed that issue because they lasted about 2 years

My most recent redwings, the sole started separating and I had to get a replacement set under warranty....

I've heard good things about Thorogood, so i'll check into them next...

wait weren't we talking about dewalt?

Ugh my non USA redwings just gave out about a month ago. They barely lasted maybe 8 or 9 months. The stitching gave out on one. Load of dog shit for $230. I've only really got maybe 4 months of actual use out of them. I might attempt to restitch them. I would be pissed if I wasn't wearing insulated rubbers (boots, not the Eskimo birth control) since December. I've probably put as much foot time on these boots that are more comfortable without any water leaks and they were only $50 and made in Canada. Warm to 20 below, and I can attest to them being that warm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Ugh my non USA redwings just gave out about a month ago. They barely lasted maybe 8 or 9 months. The stitching gave out on one. Load of dog shit for $230. I've only really got maybe 4 months of actual use out of them. I might attempt to restitch them. I would be pissed if I wasn't wearing insulated rubbers (boots, not the Eskimo birth control) since December. I've probably put as much foot time on these boots that are more comfortable without any water leaks and they were only $50 and made in Canada. Warm to 20 below, and I can attest to them being that warm.

m12 boots

• Like 2