12v Drill and Impact Combo

Jaybird

I am about ready to invest in a solid 12v drill and impact set. I am seeking the crew's opinion on which way I should go. I am not interested in getting a whole 12v line. I just want a drill and impact to use in tight spaces, overhead, and for everyday fastening use. I have been looking at the 1/4 inch hex drill and the impacts from Bosch, Hilti, and Milwaukee. Please let me know which you would get out of these and why. Also, if there are any others I should consider let me know. I have invested in Ridgid for my 18V line but I wanted to go more higher end for these since it will only be two tools. Thanks guys.

7 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Bosch. Second largest lineup and the most compact tools out right now. I have hpthe 12v brushless screwdriver and use it all the time. Plenty of power and the head is tiny.

Makita CXT 12v is smaller in head length tho Chris :)

They are taller but shorter head length is the most important right ?

For OP:

https://www.protoolreviews.com/buying-guides/best-12v-cordless-drill-roundup/25102/

Something to read :)

Just now, kornomaniac said:

Makita CXT 12v is smaller in head length tho Chris :)

They are taller but shorter head length is the most important right ?

For OP:

https://www.protoolreviews.com/buying-guides/best-12v-cordless-drill-roundup/25102/

Something to read :)

Yeah, I forgot about that new release. Had Makita been in the game before I  at have considered going with that line but the old 12v line I did not like. I've got a few Bosch 12v tools now and am very happy with the lineup and don't see the benefit to switching over to them. The tools are taller than my Bosch PS22 but yeah the head length on that new Makita is smaller. Truthfully the OP does not care about the number of tools in the lineup so Makita is certainly viable for that. 

On on another note about the Makita 12v lineup. I wouldn't buy the, because I just got the new Makita sub compact XDT15 which is about the same size of the 12v and powers the small collection of 18v Makita tools I have.

For the OP, Makita makes awesome tools.  I've got a few including the grinder, the aforementioned impact, the X2 chainsaw, the brushless recip and the brushless barrel grip jiggy. I like those tools quite a lot. I don't own any more Bosch 18v tools. They make great tools, just had some issues with the 1/4 chuck / anvil on my IDH182 and got rid of it. The Bosch 12v tools are great though, I have the PS22, the rotary tool, FL12 light, vacuum and two heated jackets (my wife has one).

• Like 1

If you already have 18's and are just looking for compact tools I'd stay away from the Milwaukee's.  They are excellent tools by themselves, but most are almost the same length (or even longer) than a lot of 18v tools.  I use Bosch for my 12v tools.  Never the most powerful option, but they are high quality, small, light, and have a great lineup.  The new Makita stuff looks awesome as well, and I've heard nothing but glowing reviews about them.  I haven't tried them myself though, and I'm unsure about the slide packs.  The thing I like about the bosch is that because they don't use slide packs, I can have it clipped to my belt all day and it stays tight to my body so it's barely even noticeable unlike my 18's with slide packs that tend to just hang off my belt.  Makita's is pretty narrow though so that might not be an issue.  

23 minutes ago, dcl said:

If you already have 18's and are just looking for compact tools I'd stay away from the Milwaukee's.  They are excellent tools by themselves, but most are almost the same length (or even longer) than a lot of 18v tools.  I use Bosch for my 12v tools.  Never the most powerful option, but they are high quality, small, light, and have a great lineup.  The new Makita stuff looks awesome as well, and I've heard nothing but glowing reviews about them.  I haven't tried them myself though, and I'm unsure about the slide packs.  The thing I like about the bosch is that because they don't use slide packs, I can have it clipped to my belt all day and it stays tight to my body so it's barely even noticeable unlike my 18's with slide packs that tend to just hang off my belt.  Makita's is pretty narrow though so that might not be an issue.  

Welcome to the forums dude!