Help me choose a corded 3/8" drill

dwasifar

Well, my old Makita 6404 is getting flaky on me, and although I will probably repair it, I'm going to keep it as a backup and get something new for a primary corded drill.  

What do you guys like?

Here's what I'm considering: 

Dewalt DWD112.  Advantages: Everyone seems to like it, even the keyless chuck.  More power than almost anything else I'm looking at.  Bubble level in the casing.  3-year warranty.  Disadvantages: No lock-on button.  Made in China, although apparently a few are made in Mexico too.  Kinda heavy at 4.1lb.

Bosch 1006VSR.  Advantages: Pretty light weight at 3.4lb.  Made in Malaysia.  Disadvantages: Not as powerful as the DeWalt. Variable speed apparently doesn't go down to very slow speeds.  1-year warranty.

Makita 6407/6408.  Advantages: Choice of keyed or keyless chuck.  Good experience with Makita in the past.  Made in USA (!!).  Available with case.  Lightweight at 3.1lb.  Disadvantages: Less powerful than the others. Kinda pricey for what you get.  Some reviewers say it bogs and breaks under load.  1-year warranty.

Milwaukee 0240-20.  Advantages: Equal in power to the DeWalt.  5-year warranty.  Disadvantages: Heaviest of the bunch at 4.25lb. Considerably more expensive than the DeWalt.  Made in China.  Plus I'm still a little pissed off at Milwaukee.

Hitachi D10VH.  Advantages: Stupid cheap at under $30.  Lightweight at 3.1lb.  Moderate power.  Comes with case.  5-year warranty.  Disadvantages: Seems like more of a homeowner drill.  Lots of complaints about broken chucks, although at this price I could replace the chuck and still come out ahead.  Can't find where they're made.

Opinions?  Thanks.

• Like 1

For a corded drill I'm a fan of Bosch, but to be honest I've mainly only used a hammer and SDS for the past 10ish years so I'm skewed towards the big ones with a cord, when I just need to make pretty lil holes I use one of my cordless DeWalts. 

I use the dewalt myself and it is a great drill.  Never had a problem and the variable speed trigger works great.  I wouldn't choose another.  I also have the 1/2" model, also a great drill. I have makita and milwakee drills but they collect dust now. To be fair the dewalts are newer production then the other 2 i have.

1 minute ago, Theultimatehic said:

I use the dewalt myself and it is a great drill.  Never had a problem and the variable speed trigger works great.  I wouldn't choose another.  I also have the 1/2" model, also a great drill. I have makita and milwakee drills but they collect dust now. To be fair the dewalts are newer production then the other 2 i have.

That same DWD112 model?  I see DWD110s still available for sale out there at the same price; it looks like the difference is they upgraded the chuck and chucked the storage case.

Just curious, why not Ridgid? They have a LSA that is actually good if you follow the rules they have regarding it. Good quality tool and Milwaukee and Ridgid are made under the same parent company. Also Hitachi is a Chinese company and I've never seen one made outside of China. They make great tools though and Hitachi is a well though of brand on all Continents

54 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Also Hitachi is a Chinese company and I've never seen one made outside of China. They make great tools though and Hitachi is a well though of brand on all Continents

Pretty sure Hitachi is Japanese, like Makita, but it's been a long, long time since I've seen a made in Japan power tool. So you're probably right that it's Chinese made. 

I'll have a look at the Ridgid. 

2 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Just curious, why not Ridgid? They have a LSA that is actually good if you follow the rules they have regarding it. Good quality tool and Milwaukee and Ridgid are made under the same parent company.

I did go and look, and you're right.  Might just have a new frontrunner.

29 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Also what are you looking to use the drill for ? My highschool has a old makita 3/8 still going strong I regreased awhile back 

The old makita drills never die it seems.  Don't have any newer makita ones.  You'd think they would be just as good still.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Why not a 1/2" drill so once the old 3/8" is fixed you're not left with two of the same thing?

Well, because...

Uh, because it's...

Uh...

You know, that's a really good point.  

You changed my thinking on what I was doing.  I went out to HD and Lowe's to look at drills today and although I still didn't really have a 1/2" drill in mind when I left the house, I came back with one:

IMG_20170118_201452.jpg

The internet user ratings on 1/2" drills kind of back you up.  Certainly they did for this one.  The 3/8" Hitachi has really uneven reviews, and when you read between the lines you get the impression that the people who do like it don't have a lot of experience to make a comparison.  But go up to the 1/2" model and the reviews are a lot more consistently positive and knowledgeable.  It's 9 amps, at 4.6lb it's light as 1/2" drills go, it has a lock-on button, and it was stupid cheap for a 1/2" drill: $79, and I had an 11% coupon, bringing it to $70.31.  With this drill in the store I don't know how Lowe's ever sells any of their competing Kobalt model, which has about the same power specs but weighs 6lb and costs $10 more.

I'm still a teeny bit unsure about this decision.  The 10-amp DeWalt 1/2" was not that much more: $99, or $88.11 with that coupon, and it has a rotating handle.  But it's heavier, and it doesn't have a lock-on button or a case.  And the case, strangely enough, was what finally tipped me.  I like having a case.  Keeps things organized.  But as you can see, I haven't fired it up yet, and I may still decide to go back for the DeWalt instead.  

Sorry, Caterpillar; that 6302H you found looks mighty nice, and I want it, but I'm leery of buying things like this from random ebay sellers, and the best price I've found on it outside of ebay is $129.  Can't justify that; I'm already stepping outside what I would have spent for a 3/8".  But hey, I am gonna fix my 6404 again, so I'll still have that.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2017 at 0:42 PM, dwasifar said:

Pretty sure Hitachi is Japanese, like Makita, but it's been a long, long time since I've seen a made in Japan power tool. So you're probably right that it's Chinese made. 

I'll have a look at the Ridgid. 

I think the cheap Hitachi stuff comes from China but it think the more expensive stuff in made in Japan.

Wow! I totally thought the other way. Are you thinking of bringing back the Hitachi because of your familiarity with the Makita? I just looked up that Hitachi and it looks, at least based in reviews, which I hate to rely on, to be a pretty decent little powerhouse.

Hitachi tools aren't bad if you stay away from the entry level cheap stuff, at least with a 1/2" you get a metal chuck that will last longer than a shit 3/8" keyless plastic one, that drill can handle quite a bit, 10 amps is a very powerful drill so you may not need that depending on what your doing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My experience with Hitachi power tools is mostly with their miters saws and they are fantastic.  I personally like em better than the similarly equipped Bosch and DeWalt saws I've used, once you get past the god awful plastic flair! 

10 hours ago, dwasifar said:

Well, because...

Uh, because it's...

Uh...

You know, that's a really good point.  

You changed my thinking on what I was doing.  I went out to HD and Lowe's to look at drills today and although I still didn't really have a 1/2" drill in mind when I left the house, I came back with one:

IMG_20170118_201452.jpg

The internet user ratings on 1/2" drills kind of back you up.  Certainly they did for this one.  The 3/8" Hitachi has really uneven reviews, and when you read between the lines you get the impression that the people who do like it don't have a lot of experience to make a comparison.  But go up to the 1/2" model and the reviews are a lot more consistently positive and knowledgeable.  It's 9 amps, at 4.6lb it's light as 1/2" drills go, it has a lock-on button, and it was stupid cheap for a 1/2" drill: $79, and I had an 11% coupon, bringing it to $70.31.  With this drill in the store I don't know how Lowe's ever sells any of their competing Kobalt model, which has about the same power specs but weighs 6lb and costs $10 more.

I'm still a teeny bit unsure about this decision.  The 10-amp DeWalt 1/2" was not that much more: $99, or $88.11 with that coupon, and it has a rotating handle.  But it's heavier, and it doesn't have a lock-on button or a case.  And the case, strangely enough, was what finally tipped me.  I like having a case.  Keeps things organized.  But as you can see, I haven't fired it up yet, and I may still decide to go back for the DeWalt instead.  

Sorry, Caterpillar; that 6302H you found looks mighty nice, and I want it, but I'm leery of buying things like this from random ebay sellers, and the best price I've found on it outside of ebay is $129.  Can't justify that; I'm already stepping outside what I would have spent for a 3/8".  But hey, I am gonna fix my 6404 again, so I'll still have that.

Very nice choice ;) 

2 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Wow! I totally thought the other way. Are you thinking of bringing back the Hitachi because of your familiarity with the Makita? I just looked up that Hitachi and it looks, at least based in reviews, which I hate to rely on, to be a pretty decent little powerhouse.

No, I mainly said that because DeWalt is more of a known quantity for me.  But I had a chance to read more reviews and at this point the only thing that's likely to make me take it back is the weird positioning of the reverse switch; I'll know whether that's a problem when I test it out for the first time.

1 hour ago, Cr8ondt said:

My experience with Hitachi power tools is mostly with their miters saws and they are fantastic.  I personally like em better than the similarly equipped Bosch and DeWalt saws I've used, once you get past the god awful plastic flair! 

I have a Hitachi chainsaw and I like it.  It's branded Tanaka, but it's piece-for-piece identical to the same saw sold under the Hitachi brand:

tanakahitachi.png

Hitachi even ditched the green color for the chainsaws.  They used to be Hitachi green, now they're orange like every other chainsaw.  Anyway, it's a good saw; not a Stihl, but decent.