Starter table saw?

plumbfitter

So I've been starting to get into some wood working. There are a couple of projects I wanna start. I need a table saw and am not looking to spend a fortune and space in my garage is not unlimited. Looking for suggestions on a good table saw to start with, I dont need anything fancy with dust collection and what not. Just a good solid saw that will get the job done. I know the portable ones are relatively in expensive but I think I'd like one with a larger table. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Thumbs up for the both the Rigid and the Delta. Of course, you could hit up craigslist and find a good deal as well. If your planing on making cabinetry, I would stay away from the contractor saws that are small and portable. Don't get me wrong, those saws are great and you can make cabinetry with them but I've found that the tolerances are not up to speed with the hybrid or cabinet saws. I have a Bosch 4100 D contractor saw that I absolutely love, but the table on the saw is not flat, it's ever so slightly off. I like to have flat and square surfaces to register off of, very helpful when making precise jigs and such. 

• Like 3

I suggest the two listed if you  have the room. they are really not much bigger than a jobsite saw on a roller stand. they will be more stable with good fences. not to mention cast iron tops. all jobsite saws do not allow dado stacks so that will automatically limit you. they are not necessary but great to have. I have the delta and am pleased with it.

• Like 4

I was in your shoes about 10 years ago and went with a used Delta Unisaw. Never looked back. They are built like tanks, high quality and made in America(back then anyway) and can often be found for around $400. It is a true cabinet saw and If you are putting together a woodworking shop, everything is going to center around your table saw. Don't skimp here. Just be sure to check for missing trunnion teeth and/or worn arbor bearings(slop or clicking sounds when running)

Also, first upgrade I would recommend for any table saw is a link belt. Cheap and effective.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tpamatmat said:

I was in your shoes about 10 years ago and went with a used Delta Unisaw. Never looked back. They are built like tanks, high quality and made in America(back then anyway) and can often be found for around $400. It is a true cabinet saw and If you are putting together a woodworking shop, everything is going to center around your table saw. Don't skimp here. Just be sure to check for missing trunnion teeth and/or worn arbor bearings(slop or clicking sounds when running)

Also, first upgrade I would recommend for any table saw is a link belt. Cheap and effective.

I've had two Delta Unisaws, both bought used. Sold the first one to a friend and the other one is still running strong and a great workhorse of a saw. Your right, these can be found on craigslist or in local ads for around $400. 

• Like 2

I second the notion of trying for a used one. However, The DW7491RS is another option that is in the same price range as the Delta or Ridgid, with a smaller storage footprint, is easy to hook a shop vac to for dust collection, has a great fence, a tool free modular guard/ riving knife system and I would argue better mobility if you wanted to take it to a jobsite or outside in nice weather. They also have a slightly less capable version for a little less with a folding X stand, and an even smaller compact benchtop style saw for even less. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Table-Saw/50040968

1 hour ago, rfwjr said:

Looks like everyone gave you some good options.  Like Rich said check to make sure it will take a dado stack.  I bought a Porter Cable PCB220TS (job site saw)  years ago and found out it would only take a 6 inch dado stack up to 1/2 wide.

the bosch 4100, will accommodate an 8" dado, with a 13/16" width.

That is not really in the same class as what these guys are recommending which are good choices in my opinion.

The Skil is more of a job-site saw. Not saying it wont work but the ridgid and unisaw would be much more saw.

If you plan on doing woodworking I would hold out for something bigger. 

• Like 3

On 1/18/2017 at 4:57 PM, tpamatmat said:

what is a link belt?