Husky adjustable pliers

CATERPILLAR

I have a friend that is building up his tool collection. It's a tough sell to get him to buy Knipex but he bought some Husky alligator-type pliers and they're not bad. The jaws are thicker and sloppier but I'm sure they will hold up. Husky gets a bad rep but I think they're made by Apex, so they're essentially Gearwrench.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

I have a friend that is building up his tool collection. It's a tough sell to get him to buy Knipex but he bought some Husky alligator-type pliers and they're not bad. The jaws are thicker and sloppier but I'm sure they will hold up. Husky gets a bad rep but I think they're made by Apex, so they're essentially Gearwrench.

I want to get knipex but very expensive and I will wait till these die

On 1/19/2017 at 3:25 PM, BMack37 said:

Can't comment on the pliers as I haven't paid any attention to them in awhile, but the Husky socket and drive tools are all made by Stanley.

As a matter of fact, the Husky brand was once owned by Stanley via the National Hand Tool purchase in 1986. It was leased to Home Depot for awhile before being sold them outright and some point in the late 90's or early 2000's. I'm wanting to say 99, but that may not be correct. In the old days Husky was made by New Britain and marketed as a step down from their premium namesake brand.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Can't comment on the pliers as I haven't paid any attention to them in awhile, but the Husky socket and drive tools are all made by Stanley.

As a matter of fact, the Husky brand was once owned by Stanley via the National Hand Tool purchase in 1986. It was leased to Home Depot for awhile before being sold them outright and some point in the late 90's or early 2000's. I'm wanting to say 99, but that may not be correct. In the old days Husky was made by New Britain and marketed as a step down from their premium namesake brand.

The Husky ratchets sure seem like Apex to me, they even have the same pass-thru ratchet. The packaging also seems incredibly similar, like the exact same.

Coincidentally @JimboS1ice posted a pic today of some Husky ratchets, looks a lot like Gearwrench packaging to me.

33e01ace902d5a31bb4ef925d8be452b.jpg

• Like 1

Stopped at HD a few minutes ago. I can confirm that sockets, ratchets, wrenches, and at least some of the screwdrivers and pliers are Stanley. Didn't look at everything, but if there are any Apex mechanics tools, they are very limited.

6 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Stopped at HD a few minutes ago. I can confirm that sockets, ratchets, wrenches, and at least some of the screwdrivers and pliers are Stanley. Didn't look at everything, but if there are any Apex mechanics tools, they are very limited.

You check out the new "100 position" husky stuff yet? I Grabbed one the other day but haven't opened it up yet, when I do ill post some pictures

12 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

I have yet to see them at my HD. 

They're pretty smooth, even the 1/2", Im assuming its a dual pawl design as they marketed it as 100 position and not 100 tooth, I picked a 3/8" flex head up for now, of course ill need the rest he he he

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 9.23.22 PM.png

I want to buy some knipex but I already have snap on and Mac plus a few Klein's but I have held knipex in stores and snap on truck and I love German tools. Would like to try the pliers wrench or alligator maybe one day I love my cornwell twister adjustable wrench it's awesome and love my snap on talon grips my vise grips are green handled mac made in usa which are nice also have petersons.