Who's using laser levels on the job?

RTJR

I have lasers on my mind. I was on a job today where there were multiple contractors. I was laying out lines with my laser. I vaguely heard a discussion about red vs green. Then, "lasers hurt your eyes" talk.  Then, a "no lasers ever" guy piped up and said "The romans didn't have laser levels and neither do I". "They didn't have electricity or toothpaste either. What's your point?", I replied. There was a little more friendly for and against and back and forth.

In fairness, the guy is talented and was doing some very fine tile work with his Stabila beam levels and straight edges. Many of us have and could still make due with those just like we did before lasers became good enough. But why I say? They make my life waaaay easier. Anyway...

So, whatchya got?

• Like 1

Yes I own the same Bosch one as @james10million They are tons easier to use than levels.

Escavating

laying waste pipes

Cabinets

any leveling job it can handle

Lasers MASTER MOST jobs but Levels also have a key role.

to me levels are good for quick grab to see if this of that board is level.

It sort of the final check for me.

• Like 3

Yes I own the same Bosch one as @james10million They are tons easier to use than levels.

Escavating

laying waste pipes

Cabinets

any leveling job it can handle

Lasers MASTER MOST jobs but Levels also have a key role.

to me levels are good for quick grab to see if this of that board is level.

It sort of the final check for me.

Agreed, it's a great little unit!

Kind Regards

James Mason - Our Build.

www.renovationjunkies.com.au

www.ourbuildhandyman.com.au

• Like 1

My old cross line laser bit the dust last year, so I was on the lookout. The DW088LR (red) popped up as a lightning deal so I snatched it. I was only expecting a cross line for walls and had no idea that it could wrap a near 360 degree vertical line across the floor and ceiling. It's also very accurate. Awesome!

19 hours ago, Milwaukee_man_stan said:

Escavating

laying waste pipes

Same here! 

We have a little different setup than James, but essentially it's the same unit...

IMG_20161005_131039415

Then there's this:

• Like 3

I currently have a 10yr old cheap red cross laser that has served me well but just isn't bright enough to meet my real needs as I rely on it more and more. Looking to upgrade to the 20v green cross or 3 beam laser soon if they ever release the damn thing. Still trying to milk 12v for all it's worth which is practically nothing...

I have an old Laser Mark by CST Berger(Before they were bought out by Bosch). It is indispensable when it comes to foundation and grading work. We used water levels before that, major pain couldn't even imagine going back.

One thing I have always wondered though. Why don't they integrate a laser distance measuring device in the laser receiver? It could be configured to measure the distance in the support rod or freestanding so you don't need the support rod/pole at all. With today cheap computing power it could automatically subtract measurements or tell you the differences of all measurements from your first one. In addition to telling you if it is a cut or fill situation. They are great tools but it is easy to make bone head mistakes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, a.k.sperry said:

I have the DW089LG and absolutely love the new green laser. Plus the 3 x 360 comes in handy so much more than my old crossline only was....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Me two ;D

a089.JPG

I can't imagine not using a laser.  The Romans didn't have lasers, but if they were around at that time, they would have been using them.

As far as brands, I've had quite a few.  I can't remember the brand of the one we have now.  I think it's Spectra Physics?  It works good, but the batteries went bad so we have to  charge it for every job.  

Have a few of the small Bosch, 5 way lasers.  And a couple Bosch laser measures.  I really like it.

One of the best things on lasers is the self leveling.  

Had a DeWalt that took the 18v batteries.  The batteries never fit right.  It would keep shutting off.  I ended up giving it away.  I don't know if the guy ever sent it in to get it fixed.  When I used it, I would stick a carpenter's pencil between the battery and the unit, so it would make contact.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2017 at 11:06 AM, builditguy said:

I can't imagine not using a laser.  The Romans didn't have lasers, but if they were around at that time, they would have been using them.

Absolutely.

I've attached what I carry around with me every day. I've heard a lot of different arguments for and against using lasers and I find those who are against are the lifers in trades, stuck in their ways who've made their money and done their time. Not always the case though. It all comes down to how you find the best method of working to be productive and profitable in your trade. For me, it's to use laser equipment. For others it might not be. They're certainly not something DIYers really need unless they're just looking at spending money on something for the sake of it but for people who are on the tools all day every day installing things that need to be level, I would recommend them to.

DSC_0760 (Medium).JPG

• 4 years later...

WFOtbzyfxA-s-l1600-13-1-jpg_586x.jpg

Big fan of Intice's Intelligent Laser Level. The four 360° planes include 2 horizontal and 2 vertical lines for fast and easy alignment, leveling, squaring, and transfers allowing users to easily layout large spaces with 1 tool. Been in the construction industry for 25 years. Everything from running heavy equipment to framing to finishing concrete. There are a few essential tools that I rely on regardless of the task at hand. Tape measure, level, cordless impact driver, etc etc. You get the picture. A couple of weeks ago, after many weeks of reviewing all the different laser levels out there, including the rotating models, I pulled the trigger on the Intice Laser Level. After using it for a couple of weeks I only have one comment: How the heck did I get along without it all these years? I can confidently say that it has quickly become an essential tool for me. Where do I begin? Out of the box I was impressed with the workmanship and quality of this level. I firmly believe you get what you pay for when it comes to things like this. I didn't have to even read the instructions to begin using it - it's that simple and intuitive. I strongly recommend getting the Intice tripod to mount it on as it greatly enhances the flexibility of this unit. The green laser has to be seen to be believed. Truly astounding. I've used it to frame walls, lay out wall lines, check elevations, and square rooms. It is eye-opening the different tasks I've used this for. As far as accuracy is concerned, it's dead on. And I mean dead on! I can't say enough good things about this level. Even if you just dabble in construction products, I highly recommend looking into this. If you do construction for a living, then it's a no brainer.