Rrich1's shop project builds.

rrich1

4 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

I still have not found anything that protects the way I want. I have issues with getting rust on table saw as there is moisture in my garage from washing around the corner, etc.  I have tried Boshield and Johnson's paste wax which I see recommended often.

Does anyone have experience with Johnson's vs this Minwax. I am to the point that I really dont feel there is an answer so I just keep the rust removed and wax applied.I bought a table saw cover which was almost worse.

You could try outside the box. Sexwax, it's for surfing but I know of it because we use it in ice hockey to help prolong tape life which starts with keeping water out of the tape. I have not used it elsewhere but your comment made me think of it.

5 hours ago, BMack37 said:

You could try outside the box. Sexwax, it's for surfing but I know of it because we use it in ice hockey to help prolong tape life which starts with keeping water out of the tape. I have not used it elsewhere but your comment made me think of it.

Mmmm, Mr. Zogs, The best for your stick...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I am really wanting to make some sort of miter station. My shop area isn't exactly the biggest for this. My area of the garage is in front of my truck. When working on a project my truck is usually outside if I'm using the table saw or an assembly table. My actual work bench is in an L configuration. I am wondering how much room I really need for material length for the miter saw. I could either put it just off center of the back wall giving me around 5' from wall to saw. The left side would give me more length but I wouldn't have a measuring tape on that side since that is where my table saw, planer, and an exterior door is if needed. Or I could put the saw on the right side where it is in the pics. Giving me about 5' to the left of the saw. I could put a fold down wing to the right and use a roller stand if needed. If I needed anything longer than 5 ft I could just use a circular saw.

Also what I was thinking is I could put the saw and drill press on the back wall. Leave the drill press where it is at but I would lower the base into the bench just like the saw would be. This maximizes space since there wouldn't be a measuring system for the saw on that side.

Thoughts? Here are some pics.
fed1e4cc95241515853d9d0189c07699.jpg3c15a8a770f31d133fadc8d607d6b108.jpg94a04647a4eec8f10e9e65d82dbe61a7.jpgad5787883c4d66b2d5ceb13cf7362a05.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Foneguy said:

Dude.....good luck. Pretty full in there especially when you consider adding a truck.

can the table saw move to where the tool box is, and make the tool box more mobile ????

not really. i have the tool box, then my air compressor, garbage can, and then the door to get in. the truck fits in the garage where everything sits in the pics. I can walk between the table saw and my truck when it is parked and walk between my truck and the toolbox. so all that space is free when my truck is parked. 

something that I have been contemplating doing is putting the miter saw and drill press on the back wall. leave the drill press but lower it into the bench. put the saw to the right of it and give myself 5 ft of cut capacity. the right section would then be a rubo type workbench on mobile base. that way i could move it out into the garage where my truck is parked. right now my "assembly" table is either the workbench which is against the wall (doesn't work well for big projects) or a single centipede table. works great but completely stable. also a rubo would allow me to make a leg vice which i would love to have. i dont have any issues with the truck being parked outside when i have a project going. i refuse to use my garage as a permanent storage area for stuff lol. either way the any bench/miter station will be remade. thinking drawers and not doors as well. 

• Like 1

[mention=50861]rrich1[/mention] is your mitter saw fixed or sliding?  I would say add some decent dust collection for your miter station and maybe the capability to add features to the station in the future if need be. Also how do you like your table saw?

It's sliding with a vacuum attached to it.

I Iike my table saw. Sometimes it has been a pain to incrementally adjust up or down slightly but it might just be me. Adding the router table wing and storage box on the side has really been great use of space for me.

I should mention the right corner is where my crawl space access spot is. Right now I keep one of my shop vacs there and it is the one attached to my miter saw. So that space will keep the vacuum there for whatever I do.

Based on that cutout dude, I would consider a mobile base. I have my Kapex on an  mft with Fastcap extension wings. The wings worked perfectly in my shop and allowed me to cut 12' and 14' pieces. It looks like your longer wall would not permit extra long cuts. Going with a mobile base, you could roll your saw further out and attach wings for long cuts. I would have suggested an actual built in station like on Jays YouTube channel but you really need a long wall for that to accommodate bigger pieces.

https://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=57444

There are several options, I have the Kapex one but they actually have one for a permanent station too. They zero out very accurately and you can move and level them anywhere. I have mine set up in the shop now with the intention to eventually to eventually do a built in and use my fences on that set up.

• Like 1

Based on that cutout dude, I would consider a mobile base. I have my Kapex on an  mft with Fastcap extension wings. The wings worked perfectly in my shop and allowed me to cut 12' and 14' pieces. It looks like your longer wall would not permit extra long cuts. Going with a mobile base, you could roll your saw further out and attach wings for long cuts. I would have suggested an actual built in station like on Jays YouTube channel but you really need a long wall for that to accommodate bigger pieces.

https://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=57444

There are several options, I have the Kapex one but they actually have one for a permanent station too. They zero out very accurately and you can move and level them anywhere. I have mine set up in the shop now with the intention to eventually to eventually do a built in and use my fences on that set up.

Problem with a mobile base is that is something else on the floor. I'd rather find a way to put the saw in a bench and use that or space for a band saw later on. I really don't see myself cutting boards that long. If I put the saw with 5ft of cut capacity on the right side then that would leave 7 feet to the left as well. Anything longer I can just use a circular saw. Not ideal but it would work fine.

If the saw was on the right wall then any long boards would go direct into the middle of the garage. Giving me 5 ft to the left of the saw and the length of the garage to the right. I could use a wing like the fast cap for support with a stand on that right side.

48 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

Problem with a mobile base is that is something else on the floor. I'd rather find a way to put the saw in a bench and use that or space for a band saw later on. I really don't see myself cutting boards that long. If I put the saw with 5ft of cut capacity on the right side then that would leave 7 feet to the left as well. Anything longer I can just use a circular saw. Not ideal but it would work fine.

If the saw was on the right wall then any long boards would go direct into the middle of the garage. Giving me 5 ft to the left of the saw and the length of the garage to the right. I could use a wing like the fast cap for support with a stand on that right side.

I have a solution to your problem. buy more tools.

Shorten your bench where it currently sits. Rebuild a short section of identical bench with wheels and just roll it out into place when you need it and attach some sort of wing to support your stock. When done, roll it back in place and you will basically have what you have now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Well...fine then. Mr. Glass is HalfEmpty! :-*