Bookcase for daughter

rrmccabe

Just finished a book case for my daughter. She has a L shaped couch in her basement and she wanted a narrow bookcase to go along the side leg of the couch so she could sit drinks, snacks, etc there.

She watches way too much HGTV and of course all you need according to those shows is a skilsaw, paint brush, screw gun  and 30 minutes and you can build really nice furniture. I started off with cheap pine ($130 worth if you can call that cheap) which was laminated and full of knots.  It did not take me long to wish I had bought better lumber.

Her other furniture is really dark so I decided to use dye instead of stain to hide the variations in the grain. This method actually made it look a lot more like hardwood and looked pretty decent. It also covered a lot of the knots which I dont think stain would have done. Yesterday I put a couple coats of General finishes clear on it and today 3 more coats sanding in between.

I will let it sit a day and then get it out of my garage.

Daughters :)  Got to love them.

20170122_165215.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

Just finished a book case for my daughter. She has a L shaped couch in her basement and she wanted a narrow bookcase to go along the side leg of the couch so she could sit drinks, snacks, etc there.

She watches way too much HGTV and of course all you need according to those shows is a skilsaw, paint brush, screw gun  and 30 minutes and you can build really nice furniture. I started off with cheap pine ($130 worth if you can call that cheap) which was laminated and full of knots.  It did not take me long to wish I had bought better lumber.

Her other furniture is really dark so I decided to use dye instead of stain to hide the variations in the grain. This method actually made it look a lot more like hardwood and looked pretty decent. It also covered a lot of the knots which I dont think stain would have done. Yesterday I put a couple coats of General finishes clear on it and today 3 more coats sanding in between.

I will let it sit a day and then get it out of my garage.

Daughters :)  Got to love them.

20170122_165215.jpg

Fantastic dude, looks awesome!

12 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

...of course all you need according to those shows is a skilsaw, paint brush, screw gun  and 30 minutes and you can build anything...

Shelf looks great!

No job is worth doing unless you use 9 different tools and all of your batteries. I was making the simplest of things the other day, a simple block to hold scissors, and I had to stop midway through and revel in the fact that I had about 7 different tools out. I was using 1/4" composite and just sandwiching pieces together, simple right? You'd be amazed at how many tools it took to do something so simple. Wives don't realize what it takes to do stuff, every time my wife asks for a project I have to explain to her the work involved.

All they ever see is us going through the door, then coming back with a finished project. They don't realize that we were gone for 5 hours. This is also the reason why we have to account for every tool purchase, they don't know that it takes half a garage to build something, all we need is a hammer and a screwdriver, right?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kato said:

Shelf looks great!

No job is worth doing unless you use 9 different tools and all of your batteries. I was making the simplest of things the other day, a simple block to hold scissors, and I had to stop midway through and revel in the fact that I had about 7 different tools out. I was using 1/4" composite and just sandwiching pieces together, simple right? You'd be amazed at how many tools it took to do something so simple. Wives don't realize what it takes to do stuff, every time my wife asks for a project I have to explain to her the work involved.

All they ever see is us going through the door, then coming back with a finished project. They don't realize that we were gone for 5 hours. This is also the reason why we have to account for every tool purchase, they don't know that it takes half a garage to build something, all we need is a hammer and a screwdriver, right?

That's awesome.  Just yesterday I got the "People built furniture and entire houses that have lasted hundreds of years with just hand tools.  Do you really need a new sander and dust collector?  Just use a piece of 2x4 with sandpaper and you can get into the corners just fine."

*sigh*

10 minutes ago, khariV said:

Just use a piece of 2x4 with sandpaper and you can get into the corners just fine."

Thank God I did not know that little tidbit of information because over the weekended I ordered this.

http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/orbital-delta-sander-dts-400-t-loc-/p/567871/

If I had known that I would not have been able to buy another Festool product

:)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Thank God I did not know that little tidbit of information because over the weekended I ordered this.

http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/orbital-delta-sander-dts-400-t-loc-/p/567871/

If I had known that I would not have been able to buy another Festool product

:)

I know, right?  I've been angling for a Rotex90 setup and well... lets just say I'm still working the angles.

7 minutes ago, khariV said:

I know, right?  I've been angling for a Rotex90 setup and well... lets just say I'm still working the angles.

I went back and forth over the Rotex 90 and what I bought.  I currently have two different Bosch sanders that work very well and the main thing I wanted was the ability to sand into corners and small parts so went with the DTS 400 and saved some money.  I think the 2mm stroke might do a better job for fine sanding but not sure.

I would like to try a Rotex and see how it compares to the Bosch units I have before buying one.

The Rotex 90 actually solves two problems for me. First off, corners. My LTD5 (if that's what it's called??) obviously doesn't get into corners well. The other reason was for sanding face frames. I really like the idea of having a hard pad that's smaller in diameter for sanding narrow stock without rounding off the corners like I sometimes do with the larger, soft pad sander.  Of course, I'd also need a whole systainer of papers since Festool doesn't sell a variety pack; it's probably another $400 in sandpaper for all of the shapes and grits to get set up. 

I can see that and all those things did cross my mind. Mostly the small hard pad for things like face frames.  One thing I like about the Rotex 90 is you can rotate the pad and use three different tips on the triangle pad.  The 400 does not have the same luxury.

Having proprietary pads is something that does not thrill me as you can break the bank pretty quick with Festool consumables.

I will try a Rotex someday.