Best new brushless drills

Jordan1995

16 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Dewalt Dcd 790, older model but a great drill

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

Are my eyes playing tricks or did Jimbo say a DeWALT drill? I was surprised to not see the gen 3 fuel listed.

I would have to say my dcd996 but that the only brushless drill I have owned.

• Like 2

Are my eyes playing tricks or did Jimbo say a DeWALT drill? I was surprised to not see the gen 3 fuel listed.

I would have to say my dcd996 but that the only brushless drill I have owned.

Beleive it or not I had gen 1 xr dewalt drills and impact, great tools just wasn't happy with the flex volt battery platform being a new battery line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Dewalt's speed switch issue and tiny composite handle is a killer to me, I can't stand it. I do like the light options and the handle connection system better than Milwaukee. I also like how all SBD drills have a lighter clutch than Milwaukee on the lowest setting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Dewalt's speed switch issue and tiny composite handle is a killer to me, I can't stand it. I do like the light options and the handle connection system better than Milwaukee. I also like how all SBD drills have a lighter clutch than Milwaukee on the lowest setting.

I agree the transmission selector isn't very good but the fact that it has 3 speeds is very nice. I wonder why other companies don't have 3 speed transmissions.

3 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I agree the transmission selector isn't very good but the fact that it has 3 speeds is very nice. I wonder why other companies don't have 3 speed transmissions.

I've heard this repeated so many times and I agree! I've said it before but I'd like to see Milwaukee keep their current drill as a premium compact version and come out with something 3 speed and better lighting even if it is a bit bigger.  They are so focused on being the smallest and strongest but their gen 2 drill is so small now I don't see how they can continue on that same path.

• Like 1

3 speed selector on dewalt is junk, new brushless tech is electronic enough lets see an electric gear selector like on the Milwaukee impacts, and 4 speed like the beast Hilti and fein don't worry about size! Only problem with this is now we're in hawg territory, oh yea kick back protection too please

• Like 1

Favorite drill is so hard to choose. For general use likely the DCD791. Plenty of power, small size, lightweight. 

If I could only have one, my DCD996. Love the ergonomics on Dewalt drills. However, my 2704 is fun because it's almost in compact territory but just screams with power. I bent a 1.5" daredevil spade the other day with it...thankfully it has a much better side handle than the DCD996. 

• Like 1

Favorite drill is so hard to choose. For general use likely the DCD791. Plenty of power, small size, lightweight. 

If I could only have one, my DCD996. Love the ergonomics on Dewalt drills. However, my 2704 is fun because it's almost in compact territory but just screams with power. I bent a 1.5" daredevil spade the other day with it...thankfully it has a much better side handle than the DCD996. 

I've broke my share of dare devils too usually the self feed tip goes bad and renders it useless

37 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Yea I like them until the tip dies been meaning to grab a set of Irwin blue tips

Have you figured out what causes the tip to deform? I know originally we thought the impact driver was the problem(even though they're supposedly impact rated). I've torn them up with my Fuel drill on speed 2...Seemed like it did three 1" holes and the tip was toast, about 8 seconds of use, haha. So do we think it's RPM that kills these or just a crappy tip that will be ruined regardless of RPM?

Have you figured out what causes the tip to deform? I know originally we thought the impact driver was the problem(even though they're supposedly impact rated). I've torn them up with my Fuel drill on speed 2...Seemed like it did three 1" holes and the tip was toast, about 8 seconds of use, haha. So do we think it's RPM that kills these or just a crappy tip that will be ruined regardless of RPM?

I think higher rpms cause not so great steel to heat up and deform, I don't have those issue on other self feed tips

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

I've broke my share of dare devils too usually the self feed tip goes bad and renders it useless

Back when I had used a daredevil spade bit I had no issues with the self feed portion. It worked great. Far as I know it had been used quite a bit.