Tool Choice Help

Oskie Boy

3 hours ago, comp56 said:

how close is the footing going to be near the edge of the patio? 

Two of them will be only 18" from the edge of the patio, but the other two will be about 14' from the edge. The patio is attached to the house, so when you walk out of the house there is patio for 14' and then the edge.  I see where you are going with this I think, just dig under the patio from the side and pour concrete under it.  If it was not for the two closest to the house that is what I would do.  Thanks -Nic

Now knowing the rest of the story and that inspectors are involved I would just rent a quickie saw.  Depending on the depth of concrete you will probably have to overcut your 12" box to get a full depth cut. That means you are going to get short cut lines outside of your 12" box the width of blade.  These are easily filled using the fines from the concrete for footings or later using a cement patch mix without the large aggregate in regular concrete.

In reality you will need need to make sure the existing concrete and new concrete do not bond together. Separate with sonotube or use expansion joint. Because of frost they are going to move up and down at different rates. In theory the footing wont move and the slab of course will rise.

14 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

In reality you will need need to make sure the existing concrete and new concrete do not bond together. Separate with sonotube or use expansion joint. Because of frost they are going to move up and down at different rates. In theory the footing wont move and the slab of course will rise.

rrmccabe   I was actually planning on just filling the footing flush with the rest of the patio.  The existing patio is 20 plus years old and I live in Memphis TN so it does not get that cold, if they move will they not just move together? Is it not okay if the footing and the existing patio bond together? I guess I could make a square form out of 1/2" material and pull it out after a few hours? Then I could fill the joint with driveway caulking or something?  I was not concerned with the heaving until you mentioned it.  

Well we have more frost in Iowa than you do (42" for footings) so its a bigger deal for me than you. But you want to make them float independently.

In a perfect world you would think when the frost goes out the patio drops back down in the summer months. Around here is not uncommon to see a sidewalk or drive lift against a house or garage slab 1 and sometimes even 2".   If that joint is not forgiving and either gets debris in it or fractures off some of the concrete from the joint when the frost goes out the patio hangs up on the footing leaving a void under your patio which leads to cracks.

So whatever you do, you want to make sure that patio can move up and down without issues. Expansion joint is the most common around here but I suppose you could leave a void and fill it with a urethane expansion caulk.