When do you do what you do...

Kato

My alarm is set for 4:20 a.m. during the week, that's when I get up to get ready for work. I get up, I have my typical morning "check the plumbing" trip, then I go into the office. I check my emails, check various websites and forums, then get dressed. I go into the kitchen and make my lunch, breakfast, and morning coffee. Around 5:50-6:00 I get in the car and go to work. Been doing this for a little over 2 1/2 years so it's at the point where I'm up whether the alarm goes off or not.

Which means on the weekends I'm up at that time or around it, and my "I don't want to be bored shitless" choices are limited. I either stay in bed and try to force myself to sleep longer, which doesn't usually work because I don't sleep anyway, or I get up. Getting up that early on the weekends is rough because the rest of the family sleeps until 10 or longer, which means I can't make noise in the garage. It's very taxing on my mental state because I am ADD and get bored very easily. Having a limit to what I can do that early kills me, and thinking about things this morning makes me curious about what you guys all do at weird times to pass the time. I'm already past insanity, so I don't have to worry about going nuts, but damn...this is painful sometimes.

• Like 3

Lol this is a loaded question.... I have gone for a run that early in the morning when I was running. I haven't done that for awhile. You can find something to build. I use to tie fishing flys. It was fun to me. Sometimes now during those weird alone times I watch movies with subtitles that the wife won't let me watch when she's awake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm sure if you just go into the shop and stare at stuff...... a thousand things will come to mind.

then, you can draw them out / engineer it ..... you can call it the "planning stage"of the day.

or

sign up for more mailing lists .. that should add some email deleting time to your day ??

• Like 2

Being here this morning and starting a thread you found something to do for a little bit. @Foneguysuggested something I have done on occasion. While in my shop I also sometimes clean up a little or do some routine/preventive maintenance on my tools.

Maybe put on headphones and watch YouTube, no shortage of things to watch there.....

If I'm on night shift then the nights I have off work and I'm home I generally spend time in the basement. Music on low, and organize and plan projects, plan a budget for the next few weeks-month, prioritize the to-do list on the house, or watch Netflix in the living room with headphones on. It's surprisingly peaceful and time goes quickly. 

35 minutes ago, Foneguy said:

I'm sure if you just go into the shop and stare at stuff...... a thousand things will come to mind.

then, you can draw them out / engineer it ..... you can call it the "planning stage"of the day.

or

sign up for more mailing lists .. that should add some email deleting time to your day ??

I have enough emails to delete each day, I'm constantly unsubscribing or running junk mail filters to get rid of most of it.

Going into the garage and staring only works for about 2 minutes, then the ADD kicks in and I go back into the house. Then the ADD kicks in and I go back into the garage. Then the ADD kicks in and I go back into the house. Then the ADD kicks in and I go back into the garage. Then the ADD kicks in and I go back into the house. Then the ADD kicks in and I go back into the garage. Then the ADD kicks in and I go back into the house. Then the ADD kicks in and...Ed goes quickly insane. 

I'm not at a loss for things to do, but when I want to do something that requires tools I have to wait until everyone wakes up. The garage shares a wall with the master bedroom, so noise goes right into my wife's ears. Can't run much without waking her up. There lies the problem, when I'm up at 4:30 in the morning there's a good 5 hours or more where I can't do shit...and that eats up a fair amount of my time for the day. There's only so much I can do before I want to do something else..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bremon said:

If I'm on night shift then the nights I have off work and I'm home I generally spend time in the basement. Music on low, and organize and plan projects, plan a budget for the next few weeks-month, prioritize the to-do list on the house, or watch Netflix in the living room with headphones on. It's surprisingly peaceful and time goes quickly. 

The office is fairly sound-proof, so I can watch tv or whatever in here with not too many worries about noise. I have plenty of photography ideas that I can do but they wear thin after a while. There's only so many water and smoke shots you can take before the voices kick in. As for planning anything most of the house needs are taken care of, there's not much to fix around here anymore...and again there lies the issue...making noise.

The only real things to do are to rehang the trim I removed around our bedroom door, and replacing our bath fans. Can't nail the trim while people are sleeping, and certainly can't destroy half the bathroom ceiling to replace the fans while people are sleeping.

If I had a basement I'd be like a pig in shit, I'd be down there doing stuff no problem.

19 minutes ago, Kato said:

The garage shares a wall with the master bedroom, so noise goes right into my wife's ears. Can't run much without waking her up. There lies the problem, when I'm up at 4:30 in the morning there's a good 5 hours or more where I can't do shit...and that eats up a fair amount of my time for the day. There's only so much I can do before I want to do something else..

sounds like a project that is well overdue....sound proof the garage 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, comp56 said:

sounds like a project that is well overdue....sound proof the garage 

If I had your kind of money I'd do it, but I don't. I make peanuts at the circus, juggling elephants and saddening clowns...

• Like 4

Back in the day when I had time on account of I still bothered going to high school I'd more or less have the same problem. No $ for anything I wanted to do and too tired from 5 hours of work and 7 hours of school to do anything. Couldn't sleep no matter how tired I was, still can't. I'd get in my car and leave all hours of the night. Hammer down. Put in a new CD. Hammer down. Get bored and frustrated. Hammer down. There goes third gear. Wish I had 50 more horsepower. Hammer down. Hit the peak speed. Wish there was a cliff in town. Hammer down. That kids is the story of how I lost my license the first time and how I wrecked my first couple cars. Good times. Don't really have free time anymore. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Depends, sometimes I'll try to get organized which is a never ending process, something's always messed up, I'll flip through some news, try to watch a movie, go to Home Depot lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeez it was a long time ago but Home Depot used to have some stores around here open 24 hours that didn't last long though. I can only imagine they were getting robbed blind. I also remember back then the tool area was an actual caged in corral.

• Like 1

Netflix, Amazon Prime and DVR. I don't sleep well so that's what I do, I'd rather be messing with things in the garage but you can't always do that.

There is surprisingly good things to watch, great automotive and science-related programming. It's the primetime shows that mostly suck.

Jeez it was a long time ago but Home Depot used to have some stores around here open 24 hours that didn't last long though. I can only imagine they were getting robbed blind. I also remember back then the tool area was an actual caged in corral.

Still like that in some well not so wonderful areas as I approach closer to Chicago... not a fan of being watched walking around the store

7 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Still like that in some well not so wonderful areas as I approach closer to Chicago... not a fan of being watched walking around the store

I have a feeling no matter which HD you go into .... they have their eyes on you anyway !!!!! (That's the guy.... the sale price Guru)......??????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Up at 5am...on the road 530am..work 7am to 530pm daily building houses.(30hrs)  .then work 10 hrs sat and 5-8 on sunday....building decks(25yrs) on the houses we frame ...long weeks,huge toll on the body ...but I have 3 girls , paid for all their school,no loans...new cars as grad presents,..they are self sufficient...have their own place...I own mine and rent out another ,,,5 years more I retire to only doing decks ...2 days a week...really really good money.......boring I know..

• Like 2

On 1/29/2017 at 0:36 PM, Bremon said:

Sounds like there is quiet time to plan a career move or side business that can relieve some financial strain. 

BOOM solid idea... Despite how much one of our guys likes working here, he's got a different job doing what he loves, doing BBQ chicken and catering

And oh man it's delicious let me tell u