dw718

DIYorDie

Hi guys/gals,

I need your help, I received a Dewalt dw718 as a gift. The problem is that its in pretty bad shape, I've been looking for videos on youtube on how to restore and get it in best shape possible and I was unable to find.  Its been pushed hard and neglected but it just got a better home.....I've never done it and have no idea where to star...Where do I start?

Thanks....

• Like 1

thanks for the info. I will post pictures as soon as bring it from storage... I'm pretty exited. I currently have a 10 inch Hitachi single bevel non-sliding miter if I get this up and running right I'll have to make a decision on which one to keep.....I'm just a diy'er with limited space and the dw718 is overkill for what I use it for and one of them will have to be sold.....

Personally I'd never trade in a dual compound slider for anything other than another dual compound slider. Might be overkill now but what if one day it's not and you need the capacity? For the inches of space I think it's a better trade off. 

Also another thing to check is the condition of the drive belt. Remove the plastic housing and look for any cracks or abnormal wear as you spin the blade by hand slowly. 

Once those two things are in order, you can begin the procedure to insure the saw is calibrated properly with a square in case adjustments need to be made. If you find the saw is not cutting true it's easy to remedy. Whatever blade is on the saw, chuck it in the trash and put on a Diablo and that sucka will cut like butta. 

Check back and let us know what you find. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Personally I'd never trade in a dual compound slider for anything other than another dual compound slider. Might be overkill now but what if one day it's not and you need the capacity? For the inches of space I think it's a better trade off. 

Also another thing to check is the condition of the drive belt. Remove the plastic housing and look for any cracks or abnormal wear as you spin the blade by hand slowly. 

Once those two things are in order, you can begin the procedure to insure the saw is calibrated properly with a square in case adjustments need to be made. If you find the saw is not cutting true it's easy to remedy. Whatever blade is on the saw, chuck it in the trash and put on a Diablo and that sucka will cut like butta. 

Check back and let us know what you find. 

My sentiments exactly, certain things you may not need everyday but when you need it, you NEED it

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys/gals...

I brought my miter saw home today, checked the belt and the brushes as well as the alignment and everything is ok.  One thing I must say in risk of sounding like a wuss... holy crap this thing is powerfull.  I'm used to my 10 inch hitachi miter saw and my dw745 table saw and this dw718 feels a lot more powerfull in fact a little scary...  I'm not sure I'm confortable using it.  I might end up selling it and keeping my 10 inch...not sure yet..  Also I have been looking at used 12 inch sliding miter saw and the prices range tremendously even within the dewalt brand.  I noticed the model that I have dw718 is a lot of times more expensive that other brand new ones? are some people just wanting to make a buck or is there something to this saw that is making it $$$$ thanks for the feedback.  (as you can probably tell I'm a diy and in no way expert on powertools) 

The DW718 is a good sliding compound miter saw, A few years ago it was worth about $450 brand new and it dropped to around $400 when the DWS780 was introduced. The two are very similar with the DWS780 having the XPS light system and improved dust collection. It has since been replaced as the economical big saw by the DWS709 or DWS779. Both of which are easily found for $399. If you are seeing DW718 for higher prices, it is for people looking for suckers because the more easily found DWS780 sells for $599 most of the time, it doesn't see a price cut often, instead every so often they offer a free stand with it.

As far as whether to sell it or not, I'd keep it (especially if you are ever going to work on a deck) and sell the Hitachi and use the proceeds for a new blade or other tools. Don't be scared, be careful. You have a bright yellow insert showing you the path of the saw blade, when you have your hand on the handle and finger near the trigger, don't let your other hand be near that bright yellow area. It is almost like they did that for a reason.

@DIYorDie Is your Hitachi a slider? I find sliders much more enjoyable to use than fixed miter saws. The extra power isn't a bad thing just might take some getting used to. As long as you follow proper safety you won't have to be scared of your powerful saw. You would be that much more less likely to have a problem or injury then if you don't follow safety.

32 minutes ago, DIYorDie said:

Thanks for the info...no the Hitachi is not sliding.  I'll try it out this weekend and see which one I keep. Thanks. The footprint on the dewalt is huge...looks really well built and heavy duty in comparison to the Hitachi.....

If i were a Hitachi guy I would choose the DeWALT no questions asked just for the fact it is sliding. Most sliding saws have a large footprint. That would be their disadvantage when compared to a fixed saw.

• 4 weeks later...