1940s Craftsman drill press clean up!

rrich1

Built like a tank! 

No kidding. Pieces are not light. My wife was asking me how much I have into it right now (no more than $75). Told her I could buy a newer cheap one for more at the store but wouldn't be as awesome or well built.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rrich1 said:

No kidding. Pieces are not light. My wife was asking me how much I have into it right now (no more than $75). Told her I could buy a newer cheap one for more at the store but wouldn't be as awesome or well built.

No, when you have the guys over to the shop and crack a beer, that oldie is going to be looking pretty stellar in your shop. I'm really liking the work thus far Rich, awesome job. No about Ford.... :-\

• Like 1

I wasnt suure if i was going to replace any bearing but remembered i bought new spindle bearings back in december. I spun the pulley assembly again and they def should be replaced. Ordered a new set tonight. 

I borrowed a punch kit to get the pin out for he tilt table, after that is out I need to take off the head badge. Then i will be stripping the paint off.

i cant wait to actually get to the point of getting it back together. I am currently looking for an older craftsman block grinder. that will give me the ability to polish up all the handles, 

well after church today i tried to take off the paint stripper. it worked so so. getting into the small areas is a huge pain in the butt. I put a second coat on and will either try again after work tonight or tomorrow. I used a combination of wire brush, pneumatic air grinder, scraper, and these bristle brushes for the drill. i will need to buy more pads for the air grinder. 

• Like 1

Main body pieces are done. Will need to do a final check/scrape plus run them over with acetone then prime them. I also go the motor mostly apart. Would be nice to paint all the pieces at once. If I can't get the motor apart tomorrow I will just go ahead and paint the body. 1ba7b4c90ac6c59ac96610ffa9a601c4.jpgc38d336f3386f1c95f42b094e195e62f.jpg0e8307f01b6d65fc5f9135e396512b14.jpg0fd95f88f3969688de6ba11b2c463621.jpg

• Like 2

Got the motor apart tonight. Got the rest of the pieces that were originally painted soaking in stripper right now. Also took the time to clean up the knobs and handles. I don't have a grinder right now so I used a drill with bit plus my pneumatic angle grinder. I purchased a Ryobi buffer wheel set for the drill but it is crap and doesn't work. My friend took the pulley assembly to his work to get the second bearing off. He will clean up both pulleys as well.

cdfbf18559793209690d57161dce8af1.jpgce0dc8ef36bca53a88d656c68c313749.jpgce25a6e5814d41ff3b701f41138cdd06.jpg

• Like 3

I got the handles buffed a little more today. I also got the main body pieces all sprayed and cleared. 3 coats of each. I polished up the head and as well. I cleaned up the last of the painted pieces with Paint stripper and those are ready to be cleaned and taped off before painting2e85a5cbb37cc0961bc3a595c22eaa95.jpg7239cd96c88014ea5dc858ab53383145.jpg

• Like 1