Rusty bolt extractor socket set

CATERPILLAR

I have the same style Rich does, only mine are Irwin. Extraction of damaged fasteners is hit it miss. There's no one tool that always works unless it involves a welder. 

I've gotten several types of extractors and I've been in situations where each of them both worked or failed. 

• Like 2

I have the same style Rich does, only mine are Irwin. Extraction of damaged fasteners is hit it miss. There's no one tool that always works unless it involves a welder. 

I've gotten several types of extractors and I've been in situations where each of them both worked or failed. 

The irwins are nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I use Irwins, bolt extractors, spline extractors, and the ones that are 1/4" shank. Never have any problems using them, and they have freed-up some seriously stuck stuff. I can't see how a straight spline would have much grab, once you got to a certain point it's got to slip. There's only so much bite you can get with a flat surface. Irwins and similar are spiral fluted, so when it grabs it keeps grabbing until the hardware comes free, the hardware breaks, or the extractor breaks. So far I've been lucky enough that extractors haven't broken.

Standard extractors, those spiral ones that everyone knows and hates...I've broken plenty of those in my day, too many to count, and more than enough to make me never want to use them again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

My favorites are PB blaster, torch, and grinder/dremel if the head is rounded or snapped. I just make a new one and use a flat head screwdriver. 

If that fails, I just smash everything in sight with a sledgehammer. 

Damn remind me not to get near when u get angry jk lol ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kato said:

I use Irwins, bolt extractors, spline extractors, and the ones that are 1/4" shank. Never have any problems using them, and they have freed-up some seriously stuck stuff. I can't see how a straight spline would have much grab, once you got to a certain point it's got to slip. There's only so much bite you can get with a flat surface. Irwins and similar are spiral fluted, so when it grabs it keeps grabbing until the hardware comes free, the hardware breaks, or the extractor breaks. So far I've been lucky enough that extractors haven't broken.

Standard extractors, those spiral ones that everyone knows and hates...I've broken plenty of those in my day, too many to count, and more than enough to make me never want to use them again.

Those spiral extractors are a joke they have never worked for me I think its a bunch of shit that they claim it works so GOOD 

The Craftsman set is the same as Irwin bolt extractors. I use the Irwins at work probably

once or twice every couple of weeks and they haven't failed to perform yet. I use my sets at home but nowhere near as frequent as I do at work. We get a lot of heads broken off of bolts on our pallet trucks and other stuff, and the Irwin stuff does great.

The only time they won't work is when there's not enough meat left for them to grab onto. When that happens I just drill out the hardware and retap.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2017 at 5:22 PM, rrmccabe said:

The ones I bought at sears looked like this. Craftsman brand.

20170202_114122.jpg

I have a set similar to this but is made by Irwin, I have a impact rated set and the regular but both are same design. I have yet to use them as I just keep a box of cheapo sockets and just beat them on with a hammer.

I have used the snap on branded versions at my old job at a junk yard and it worked well.

• Like 1