Rusty bolt extractor socket set

CATERPILLAR

On 2/2/2017 at 5:39 PM, Hugh Jass said:

My favorites are PB blaster, torch, and grinder/dremel if the head is rounded or snapped. I just make a new one and use a flat head screwdriver. 

If that fails, I just smash everything in sight with a sledgehammer. 

A mini sledge or Big Bertha?

• Like 1

On 2/5/2017 at 4:40 PM, phffter said:

Never seen an extractor that looked like a reverse tapered reamer, but it makes sense.

I too, use the beat-on-an-old socket and hope it grips tight enough haha

maybe one day i'll break down and get a set of the extractors. I've used them before at a shop i worked in, but never had my own set. At this point, i'm not missing much

We sell those...they're decent for low-torque stuff, but chucked in a drill you're inviting disaster.They get returned a lot so I take the adapter out and throw the socket away. The adapters come in really handy, I keep one in all of my socket sets for when I want to put a socket on the impact or on a drill.

Otherwise, the Gator Grip is a piece of shit in a chrome disguise...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, noodeel said:

From the original infomercials in the 1980's:

http://www.gator-grip.eu

I found one at the shop, as Kato said, it's shit. The thing about those is that it will sort of work with very low torque and very slow...but there's too much play and it's almost always off-center so it just doesn't work. It's ok as a paper weight but it rolls if it gets knocked over. Decent knock-off as a pet rock replacement.

BTW, please don't take either of our posts as jumping on you for posting that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

I found one at the shop, as Kato said, it's shit. The thing about those is that it will sort of work with very low torque and very slow...but there's too much play and it's almost always off-center so it just doesn't work. It's ok as a paper weight but it rolls if it gets knocked over. Decent knock-off as a pet rock replacement.

BTW, please don't take either of our posts as jumping on you for posting that.

TELEVISION DOESN'T LIE!!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

For smaller stuff I have had good luck with the Alden Grabit set. I have seen what looks identical under other brand names so I am not sure who actually makes them. It is just the opposite of the slow pitch ones we hate. It is like a conical tap that bites into a shallow dimple you drill. Many have the left hand bit on the opposite end of the tool. I can't believe how tightly it grabs on that very shallow hole. After removing screws it was an effort to get the extractor off the screw. They are hex and can be chucked in any reversable drill. They are also warranteed for life. I sent one back because the drill end was shot and they sent me another one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk