Do the bits go boom?

Hugh Jass

Masonry drilling question for those of you with larger class SDS hammer-drills. I'm looking at buying the DCH293 when it goes on sale over the next few months, but I started to think about it and now I wonder if it might be too powerful for 5/32in tapcon bits? I'd want the extra power for bigger stuff but I also don't want to constantly shatter bits trying to drop in tapcons either, which is what I'd use it for the most. 

As far as I know SDS bits are not given impact ratings so I'm not sure where one draws the line, so to speak. Is this worth the concern or should I be fine? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

I can't help on that one...I use a big ass Mikita for drilling in foundations for 3/4 anchor bolts and threaded rod for hold downs....doesn't a hammer drill work for small tapcons ?

Works fine for a few holes and short tapcons, but the noise is insane and it's far slower. I can drill 50 holes with SDS in the time it takes to drill 10 with a hammerdrill. Just no comparision with volume, vibration, and noise level. 

• Like 2