Bluetooth goodies... Coming soon

Cr8ondt

I hear ya....just wish companies would list what is coming out each year on their website....and what month it will be available so we can plan accordingly......then list what's coming for next year.....forget the guessing and big surprises...I think they would make. A lot more money that way...then companies could plan around that schedule.....instead of jumping ship and buying into another brand for a tool they need now and don't know if their brand will be making it..........ya know

• Like 2

I yawn at this Bluetooth stuff, means nothing to me and I have a hard time understanding the utility...but I do want more details on the Tag. Tracking is about the only useful thing I see out of the whole idea, but given the range of BT I'm not sold on it's utility to thwart thieves unless it connects to wireless networks as well as a crude micro GPS in which case it's gold. 

• Like 2

Quite frankly Bluetooth control has some serious potential. If I could get accurate torque control on an impact driver it would be great. When doing a panel swap it would be great to look at the torque settings and set it up quickly and go to town. As of now I do everything by hand since I don't trust any power tools to be accurate enough. There is no way for me to know if the screw is binding up or if the wire is actually snug on a neutral bar with an impact driver. I won't take the chance.

I can see why Milwaukee didn't include any actual specs in their current torque settings. They use current draw to control torque. Obviously it varies wildly as the battery dips in voltage. It's quite noticeable in practice. It's not remotely accurate enough to post an actual measurement.

The torque cutoff is nice on the driver. But nothing that other manufacturers don't do without Bluetooth control and imo is less of an issue with a three speed transmission.

I yawn at this Bluetooth stuff, means nothing to me and I have a hard time understanding the utility...but I do want more details on the Tag. Tracking is about the only useful thing I see out of the whole idea, but given the range of BT I'm not sold on it's utility to thwart thieves unless it connects to wireless networks as well as a crude micro GPS in which case it's gold. 

I hear ya, one key has some cool stuff but not for me, I think the best part of one key is the remote crimping and the logging associated with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

If the technology is already in the tool and they're just giving the user the ability to change the settings I don't see it as a problem.  I can see the benefits of being able to match the tool with the task at hand.  That being said I'm not going to pay a premium for it, especially when current models are more than capable.

I think that's what bothers me the most, all this extra crap I'll have to pay for eventually and 99% of people (and yes I feel that is quite accurate) that will have to buy it will never use it's functionality. There's all of what, 5 tasks that tool control has a legitimate use for and even then likely unreliably? 

Does not compute. 

For those not interested in Bluetooth tools, what functionality would need to be added to make Bluetooth tools more appealing? A more accurate torque control is one thing I saw. More specialty modes? Would a small display/readout on the tool that could toggle between showing accurate reading of torque, ipm, rpm, bpm, spm, or any other readouts that user may want to see (whichever ones make sense for each tool) make Bluetooth worth it? Just an idea I had.

Something like what is on the Makita sub compact impact could work for the display. That sorta flexible material Makita uses for the buttons could be used to cover the lights used for the display. Same or similar material is used for DeWALT battery fuel indicators. Could even shrink the tough system display down.

• Like 1

I don't get it....when we are screwing stainless Trim head screws into cedar exterior trim...a drill with a variable trigger or a 3speed impact works great.....when we screw off a deck with 3" cortex plug screws I want power and speed to get it done...again dcf887 and dcd791 work great ...Dcd791 is faster.......maybe some guys use those gadgets....we definitely don't have time for that stuff....you gotta get work done...done right...done fast.........I'll say the picture of the new Bluetooth drills look..."pretty" "cool" "sexy" ??!... .             ..but they are going to be beat up quickly on the job...so cool looking goes away fast.......all that's left is the high price you just paid.................................I JUST WANT POWA.....and new tools...NOW ! 

• Like 1

A display sounds incredibly fragile. Torque for impacts is it. From my understanding it's nearly impossible. Rock solid tool tracking is about it for me and I've yet to be convinced of its effectiveness in practice. 

Doesn't Bosch make a grinder with an LED read out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe there is something to Bluetooth that I don't get.
Maybe it is a bigger deal in different job applications.
I know I won't pay extra for something I won't use.

Have 3 impacts. One has 3 speeds. We leave it on #2 all the time.
The rest I control with my finger.
That's a tool that comes out everyday, so I'm pretty used to it.

On 2/16/2017 at 6:42 PM, Framer joe said:

I don't get it....when we are screwing stainless Trim head screws into cedar exterior trim...a drill with a variable trigger or a 3speed impact works great.....when we screw off a deck with 3" cortex plug screws I want power and speed to get it done...again dcf887 and dcd791 work great ...Dcd791 is faster.......maybe some guys use those gadgets....we definitely don't have time for that stuff....you gotta get work done...done right...done fast.........I'll say the picture of the new Bluetooth drills look..."pretty" "cool" "sexy" ??!... .             ..but they are going to be beat up quickly on the job...so cool looking goes away fast.......all that's left is the high price you just paid.................................I JUST WANT POWA.....and new tools...NOW ! 

can't go wrong with DeWALT brushless tool design. They look very nice.

On 2/16/2017 at 8:26 PM, builditguy said:

Maybe there is something to Bluetooth that I don't get.
Maybe it is a bigger deal in different job applications.
I know I won't pay extra for something I won't use.

Have 3 impacts. One has 3 speeds. We leave it on #2 all the time.
The rest I control with my finger.
That's a tool that comes out everyday, so I'm pretty used to it.

bluetooth is more for the user who needs consistent results every time. For example, a guy putting in 1000 drywall screws or sheet metal screws in one day is gonna want to press trigger completely down and get ideal results for the particular application they are completing. Bluetooth also allows for more specialty modes because as more come out you will be able to update the tool and have access to those modes.

On 2/16/2017 at 8:16 PM, JimboS1ice said:

Doesn't Bosch make a grinder with an LED read out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, i remember seeing that post on here quite awhile ago, but nothing came of it.....yet.

I do like having different speeds for my drill to choose from the numbers on the base of the drill. I use it full speed on some applications and like to have it maxed out at a lower speed so i only have to pull the trigger when i'm doing multiple of something. If those speed settings were just part of the drill and didn't require bluetooth connectivity, that would be great too.

Also with the sawzall, i love having speed control on that too, i have found my carbide tipped diablo blades work much better and last longer when i'm cutting half speed, plus I absolutely love the auto brake. Again, those could be integrated into the tool with buttons you can choose to activate or not, so the real benefit of this bluetooth i hope we'll see is the tool tracking in case of theft or lost... 

The newer Milwaukee batteries are also of interest, they now have the OneKey logo on the bottom and i've inquired into what that means, but only got back a simple "it will allow great capabilities with upcoming updates.." still waiting on what that means...

Don't get the portable tracking you add to other tools,ladders..etc....is a thief so dumb he doesn't just rip the little device off ? Bluetooth has a range...free gps service maybe work...provided by the company...service fee  NO....usually the thief is in the trades and knows what he wants to steal,not some random guy.....or the guy you just fired after 2months and knows all the tools you have and where the tags are.....if it's like LoJack great,with no fee........we have insurance for theft

• Like 1

I suppose being able to adjust the rpm would be helpful, occasionally.  The other day a kid was helping screw off drywall.  He kept complaining that the screws would strip out of the steel stud.  If we could slow the screwgun down, it might have made it easier on him.  Experience would solve the issue, but he didn't have that.