Drywall screws are different colors

olletsocmit

Has anyone else been noticing this, has the industry changed the way or the chemical that they cover drywall screws with? I just bought another box of drywall screws today and noticed that they are different color from all my other drywall screws. A few months back I noticed it again. By the way they are all the same brand. Maybe they buy them in batches from different companies or different countries. And yes I know it doesn't matter if the colors different but I'm just curious.

This is the brand-new box I bought today:

382ee13c5fe2f032b5dbfd5bf652821a.jpg

9a6b78cd86974cfcd09ad732fe3b5f5f.jpg

The new ones are on the left & the ones on the right are a combination from two other boxes:

fed816f62cfa6c70594c637a49d90050.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, olletsocmit said:

Has anyone else been noticing this, has the industry changed the way or the chemical that they cover drywall screws with? I just bought another box of drywall screws today and noticed that they are different color from all my other drywall screws. A few months back I noticed it again. By the way they are all the same brand. Maybe they buy them in batches from different companies or different countries. And yes I know it doesn't matter if the colors different but I'm just curious.

This is the brand-new box I bought today:

382ee13c5fe2f032b5dbfd5bf652821a.jpg

9a6b78cd86974cfcd09ad732fe3b5f5f.jpg

The new ones are on the left & the ones on the right are a combination from two other boxes:

fed816f62cfa6c70594c637a49d90050.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! I just bought a box of grip rites at Lowes and noticed they had a more finished appearance over my old ones. 

• Like 1

So back to the original query, i may have noticed this, just didn't give it a thought, but one thing to note is that #2 phillips is different than phillips dedicated to drywall screw heads, apparently the bits fit much more snug in drywall screws, so they say...

8 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

So back to the original query, i may have noticed this, just didn't give it a thought, but one thing to note is that #2 phillips is different than phillips dedicated to drywall screw heads, apparently the bits fit much more snug in drywall screws, so they say...

I'm pretty sure you're correct on this, I recall reading somewhere that the different "colors" are to indicate which ones take which type of Philips bits.

S-type and W-type. S-type screws are designed for attaching drywall onto metal. Their sharp points make penetrating the surface easier. W-type screws, on the other hand, are longer and thinner. They are designed for installing drywall onto wood. Although drywall panels differ in thickness, it’s usually sufficient to drive W-type screws into the wood at least 0.63 inches (1.6 centimeters), and for S-type screws to penetrate a metal stud to a depth of 0.38 inches (0.9 centimeters) If you are screwing through multiple layers

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the difference last week. I also noticed HD having a more pronounced featuring of the # size as well. Didn't pay attention at the time, but I found myself having to make decisions I didn't ever have to make before when purchasing drywall screws

• Like 1