No doubt the most common question - which brand?

DrHarry

If I wasn't happily invested in Milwaukee, I'd go Makita.

Kobalt's like up and cost has been impressive but it's still hard to recommend because the long-term support for Kobalt power tools has never been there. Also, you'd probably have to supplement their lineup with another because they have no compact tools, no lighting.

Milwaukee ticks most of the boxes I want. Great 12v lineup, great 18v lineup. Chargers that charge BOTH batteries in one place, and it's about the same size as a regular charger. LED lighting is superb, I use the lights all the time, I don't know how I lived before them. The only real complaint (after the m12 Fuel drill is released) is the chuck on their drills could be better. I like Dewalt's chuck better and I hear Makitas is better as well.

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:22 PM, BMack37 said:

Kobalt's like up and cost has been impressive but it's still hard to recommend because the long-term support for Kobalt power tools has never been there. Also, you'd probably have to supplement their lineup with another because they have no compact tools, no lighting.

To be fair to Kobalt, their lineup has only been out for a little over a year now and so I wouldn't expect compact tools and lighting yet outside of their standard worklight. Good point re: long-term support, but I'm certain they learned plenty of lessons from their bungled 18v/"20v Max" "upgrades". I worked at Lowe's when those tools came out and the irony was that although the 20v Max were actually high quality brushed tools, there was next to no marketing and virtually nothing for discounts or specials, both of which have been rectified with the 24v line. 

Right now DeWalt is clearly the #1 cordless option at Lowe's, but the #2 spot is wide open and if Kobalt is wise they'll continue to grow their products as they have a clear shot at that position (in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they've reached it this past year sales-wise). Porter-Cable is an also-ran and outclassed by the 24v line significantly, while Hitachi and Bosch are content to remain stagnant. 

I agree with @BMack37. I have mostly Milwaukee cordless at this point, but if I had to make the switch I would probably go with Makita. They literally have every cordless tool known to man, so that is a plus (even if some of them are garbage). Also, they are always on the ball coming out with new stuff and trying to improve. I don't see too much Makita in my neck of the woods, but from what I can tell the people who do use it seem to love it.

• Like 1