Removing chuck from old B&D reversable drill

medusa

Hi All.....I have an old B&D reversable drill ( model 7127 ) and I'd like to repurpose the parts for a mini lathe.

I can 't seem to get the chuck out. Got the screw out for can't figure out if its threaded, tapered or what. There seems to be no way to stop the chuck fron spinning so whacking it with a hammer doesn't seem to work. The tiny bit of spindle that come out the rear of the drill is not enough to really get a good grip on it. Any suggestions would be great. 

chuck_sm.JPG

chuck spindle_sm.JPG

• Like 1

All portable drill that I know of are threaded, though remember they are left hand threads(opposite of standard). I have replaced a few keyed chucks with Jacob's hand tightened chucks and yes It can be a pain. Here are a few tips, first try chucking up a large Allen wrench and possibly using a pair of vice grips on the stub and giving the Allen wrench and few sharp wraps. The key is short powerful hits. Another option is to mount a bit holder to a impact driver with the other end of the bit holder chucked in the drill. This will also give you short powerful impacts, but remember the threads are left handed so the impact driver should be in the tighten mode. A good soaking with WD40 and/or heat before this is a good idea. Good luck....

6 hours ago, tpamatmat said:

All portable drill that I know of are threaded, though remember they are left hand threads(opposite of standard). I have replaced a few keyed chucks with Jacob's hand tightened chucks and yes It can be a pain. Here are a few tips, first try chucking up a large Allen wrench and possibly using a pair of vice grips on the stub and giving the Allen wrench and few sharp wraps. The key is short powerful hits. Another option is to mount a bit holder to a impact driver with the other end of the bit holder chucked in the drill. This will also give you short powerful impacts, but remember the threads are left handed so the impact driver should be in the tighten mode. A good soaking with WD40 and/or heat before this is a good idea. Good luck....

I've used a large hex key tightened in the chuck and a dead blow hammer. It works well, no need to beat the crap out of it, just firm hits...normally it takes a couple.