Very good point

Jronman

Very good point about flexvolt and the new battery platform argument. Some say its not a big deal others say it is.

On 2/8/2017 at 11:02 AM, Framer joe said:

I agree on 12v Dewalt,,ah where ? ""Sad because a lot of guys like ergonomics of the 12v drill and not the wider m12 set up...they did abandon it...shame...but if it was to create Flexvolt..ok good.....

......totally disagree with flex is another system to buy into....if you buy a FUEL mitre saw ,are you buying bare tool ? FUEL grinder bare tool ? FUEL sds max bare tool ? Your putting small batteries on them,,,I don't think so ..your buying kits with the big fuel 9ah ...and use that 9ah with all your tools...if your being DEWALT ..mitre saw,table saw, grinder, sds max..your buying kits for big batteries 9/3ah...use them in all your other tools ,,what's the difference? 

.         ...Buying Batteries is just part of business,they don't last many years after repeated hard use and daily charging...I can buy more batteries I can't invent more powerful tools to put them in..  FLEXVOLT  is Options....Flexvolt is POWA...You May Never Need That Much Raw POWER,but it is an option..

.        ....I'm with ya on Brushless everything 20v max.................btw the flex sds is 4.7 ft/lbs and the fuel is 5ft/lbs ...flex 3150 bpm...fuel 3000pbm...close but fuel wins on paper...cost  I see 799 flex 2batts9.0..fuel 650 1 batt 9.0.....

.      .    BRING ON THE NEW TOOLS !!

• Like 4

I don't think most people have a problem buying bigger batteries for the big high demand tools and there are definately advantages to them.  I can also see the arguement that the m18 9.0 is essential another battery platform because you're not really going to use them on your small tools. Where it becomes a problem is when a person has a bunch of 20v tools and batteries and wants to upgrade to a brushless reciep. saw, grinder or circ. saw.  They currently don't have the option of buying a bare tool and you're forced to buy new batteries.  

Example: I want to buy a new recip. saw.  With milwaukee I go out and buy a $200 saw and use batteries I already have.  With flexvolt I have to buy a $380 kit and even then I feel like 2 batteries isn't enough for a jobsite.  I would spend another $150 for a third battery or $200 for two more.  So although you're getting batteries, to add a saw with flexvolt it cost $530-580 and with Milwaukee I can do it for $200.

• Like 1

Good points but I don't consider the 9.0 a seperate platform. Since getting my 9.0's I've used it on my flashlight, flood light, 6.5 saw, multitool, sawzall, and drill. Never at any point did I think 'man this battery is too much I need a smaller battery' . I don't think it's really that big at all once on a tool. I use mine on my drill pretty often and a guy I work with actually keeps a 9.0 on his drill because he prefers the runtime. 

Not sure what the point actually was, but I think everyone needs to understand that at some point, everyone makes a choice on what manufacturer to go with, and if you invest heavily enough in that brand's line, it would take a lot to make you switch to another brand. I've been using DeWalt's 18V (I'm in the UK) XR tools for 5 years now. I own most of the 18V XR line at this point and recently invested in a few FlexVolt tools and batteries as well. I am 100% happy with all of my tools and what I've seen and experienced with FlexVolt so far has really impressed me. There is nothing in the world that would make me go out and buy a cordless tool from Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee or any else at this point. I own half a dozen each of the DeWalt 4AH and 5AH batteries, plus a few 1.5's for flashlights, the impact driver etc... I've bought the majority of my tools bare so I don't end up with the ridiculous amount of extra chargers that I don't need. It's a good system and I'll never change now, even if I wanted to I'm too heavily invested in it at this point for that to be an option.

The 54V grinder is by far my favourite tool, to have that much power in a cordless grinder is immense and it has made my job a lot easier. As soon as the 54V SDS Max comes out in the UK I'll be buying that too. Looking forward to being able to leave the 110v and transformer in the van when I need to drill 22mm holes for conduit!

• Like 1

A lot of its personal preference.  I don't own a m18 9.0 and after buying a flexvolt grinder I'm in no big hurry to.  I don't really like the extra weight and prefer my fuel grinder with a 5.0 when I don't need the extra power.  But like anonymous joe the day I do buy a 9.0 I like the idea that I can use it anywhere even if I dont.

Some of these tools are a compromise with the 5.0 and you don't even realize it at first. 9.0 on the Fuel Sawzall makes a huge difference. I'll never use it on an impact or my 2704. It's basically for lights, grinder, circ saw and Sawzall. In that respect my Dewalt collection follows the exact same thought process and planning as my M18 so comparing 9.0 and FlexVolt are very comparable in my eyes and I'm eyeing up more HD9.0 for my M18 gear because the 5.0s feel like a compromise in hindsight. 

• Like 1

So as you can see the battery is not only taller, it is also longer, and, in some cases, wider. This makes big batteries heavier. You still have the convenient slide rails and locking tab on both batteries for easily installing and removing the battery. Because they both have the same slide and locking mechanism size does not matter on different tools. Thanks fer watchin'!

@Biggie you'll end up with a 9.0 or two at some sure I'd bet. It really wakes up the heavier duty tools so you don't overheat your 5.0s or bog down the tool with voltage drop. 

A frugal shopper pays 250 for flex sawzall kit (50 off) and gets a free flex battery.....my idols...77ford and Ricky will pay 3cents......you gotta shop DEALS...

.  If your going for Big POWA you need Big Batteries to run those Big Tools,,to maximize that tools potential...that is where it becomes an even playing field...you Must buy a Big M18 9ah or a Big Flex 9ah ..to PROPERLY power those high demand tools,.then use that battery on ANY other tool.....as Bman says

if you want your 2ah -5ah batteries to power ALL your cordless tools and think that no matter what bare tool you buy that those batteries are enough , ,,,  ,you will be very disappointed, underpowered and in many situations completely waste that tools ability....resulting in underwhelming results and productivity........from my experience        MORE POWA

On 2/20/2017 at 11:44 PM, UnicornSystems said:

Size definitely matters, as demonstrated in this video from BOZO Tool Reviews:

I don't listen to a word he says, his bogus videos condescend to a new low, please refrain from posting further info from him, his name tarnishes the good work of the serious reviewers out there...

Sorry I had to break it to you this way.

Thanks

On 2/21/2017 at 0:26 AM, Bremon said:

So as you can see the battery is not only taller, it is also longer, and, in some cases, wider. This makes big batteries heavier. You still have the convenient slide rails and locking tab on both batteries for easily installing and removing the battery. Because they both have the same slide and locking mechanism size does not matter on different tools. Thanks fer watchin'!

@Biggie you'll end up with a 9.0 or two at some sure I'd bet. It really wakes up the heavier duty tools so you don't overheat your 5.0s or bog down the tool with voltage drop. 

Ugh it's hard to puke on will but his voice makes it easier when I need something to come back up lol

2 hours ago, Framer joe said:

A frugal shopper pays 250 for flex sawzall kit (50 off) and gets a free flex battery.....my idols...77ford and Ricky will pay 3cents......you gotta shop DEALS...

.  If your going for Big POWA you need Big Batteries to run those Big Tools,,to maximize that tools potential...that is where it becomes an even playing field...you Must buy a Big M18 9ah or a Big Flex 9ah ..to PROPERLY power those high demand tools,.then use that battery on ANY other tool.....as Bman says

if you want your 2ah -5ah batteries to power ALL your cordless tools and think that no matter what bare tool you buy that those batteries are enough , ,,,  ,you will be very disappointed, underpowered and in many situations completely waste that tools ability....resulting in underwhelming results and productivity........from my experience        MORE POWA

I like your energy!! Haha I love the light 2ah pack on my surge impact, haven't tried it in a conventional impact yet, they say the surge sustains it's power better throughout the whole length of the fastener. I can take a slight drop in performance for the convenience. 

For my use, the grinder sees a lot of lighter gauge cutting tasks, I'm not in a welding shop, but I could see myself getting the flexvolt grinder if I was. Therefore, a 5ah works great on my fuel grinder. The only tools I would be totally convinced I would need the big 9ah pack is with the new miter saw and new OPE, which means I get by great with my 5ah packs. 

The miter saw and SDS max and new OPE definitely is basically buying into a new system, but the other tools can easily use the existing batteries if one were hesitant about spending money on a bigger expensive battery. If one were really hesitant about spending money, they would stick with the corded equivalent, but I digress, I understand both sides of the coin and that's how I see it

• Like 1

I know all about being frugal, I got my fuel Sawzall for free only had to buy a $300 drill/impact combo haha.  I know there are deals to be had it was just an example and the main reason I don't get why people say it's the same battery platform.  I get what you're saying if you want a more powerful tool you need a bigger more powerful battery.  Which is why I bit the bullet and bought a flexvolt grinder and batteries (I got one free).   But the only way to buy that grinder was to buy a new battery platform to go with it.

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I don't listen to a word he says, his bogus videos condescend to a new low, please refrain from posting further info from him, his name tarnishes the good work of the serious reviewers out there...

Sorry I had to break it to you this way.

Thanks

All in all it just means that with 15 rows of batteries means you have 3 rows of 2.0 batteries that (Each row) have an average amp drawl of 15-20 amps each. So with more batteries you can lighten the load of a 20 amp tool to ~6.33 amps per row roughly. So yeah you put a 2.0 battery in an angle grinder, you're more likely to overload the maximum draw on those 5 batteries rather than 15. So yes bigger is better unless you're using the new 20700 then those have a superior power draw and load limit than 18650.

I dunno what he did to you guys but the guy seems a bit douchey, hey who am i to judge

• Like 1