Denim insulation?

KnarlyCarl

I haven't heard of this specific product but a I just spray foamed my roof and one of the contractors I got a quote from said they put up a cloth and blow in recycled denim dense packed I was intrigued and they stood behind it. I would have considered it more if they followed up with a quote [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2017 at 10:54 AM, DR99 said:

Also no itching like glass insulation either.

there is itch proof fiberglass insulation now but it still doesn't get around having the feeling of glass sticking into your skin. That to me is worse than the itch.

@JimboS1ice Supposedly Denim Insulation is pretty decent in terms of sound proofing as well as insulating.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a fan of Roxul
da739aab-e66e-49f8-a8a9-5f055cd54a75_1000.jpg

I'll second this, I'm redoing a room and I'm only putting Roxul back in after seeing what 30 year of fiber glass looks like, plus mice won't nest in it! Big plus for me. Goes up easy and cut easy. I'm a fan as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-04-08 at 9:07 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

Roxul is not denim, it's i think spun lava rocks or some crazy stuff

Yep, it's "mineral wool". Respiratory protection is a must when installing (same is true of basically any insulation). The dust and fibres hang in the air and are terrible for your health. That said, Roxul is quite popular and versatile. At one point a couple years ago it was very difficult to get your hands on because people were using it for fireproofing in assemblies, which it technically isn't rated for and now code here has been updated. It was a grey area for awhile so saved and made guys a pile of cash compared to dedicated solutions from Hilti for example. 

When we finish our basement I'll be installing spray foam on the foundation walls and then likely Roxul in interior walls and main floor joists so the basement rooms stay quiet (lots of main floor traffic and mechanical room). Must be memories of growing up with the basement bedroom next to the mechanical room at my parents place coming back to me lol. 

• Like 1