Dust Collector upgrade Progress.....

comp56

thanks Jimbo,

Update again....

well seeings I have a completely black 55 gallon drum that when it is full it will be a bit of work to empty.

So I added a window on the side so I can see where the level is, the top of the little window sits at the 40 gallon mark as I really don't want this to completely fill to the top. now I will be able to see when it gets close to the top of the window the barrel should be emptied. I glued 2 pieces of lexan together one a little larger than the other, I then glued the piece in the opening I did with a dremel. I then braced it from the inside very tight so I could drill for these little one way clips I have. I then left the brace in place and siliconed all the way around. These black clips are tough they hold more than they look like they will hold. I got 2 cases of these things when they closed the Target store down in our city, I'm guessing there is 5000 in each case so I figured I better start using them.....lol

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.png

after deleting the thread I got my answer so this what I did. I got a wireless remote for my dust collector, rated at 15A it works flawless from across the street about 90 ft away. no need to spend the almost $100 for the " dust collector remote " this cost $22 

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jronman said:

Anyone seen Jay Bates new dust collection? He used pvc pipe as his tubing. Seemed like he had good suction. Especially at his miter setup.

I have and he has covered a few of different styles, good info for sure, however from the looks of things he has bought or has been given products that are out of my budget or willing to spend. I;m happy with my set up so far for hundreds of dollars not thousands of dollars.

it is strongly recommended to run ground wire wrapped around any PVC. I personally have seen some huge set ups in the saw mill for removing chips, they ran huge 14" PVC piping for about 3 weeks and removed it all due fire hazards. fine saw dust can be as bad as dynamite when ignited from sparks. our shop used to make these huge chip bins and cyclones for saw mills. Whenever they needed repairing they use to empty them and blow them out and spray them down for some times 2 days before the welders could start welding depending how big they were....... 

• Like 1

I will more than likely use PVC on mine but plan to have small metal plates on the inside attached with carriage bolts. Then will run wire externally and attach to all those.  I am doing something similar on my Festool dust extractor now.  I know a lot of guys run a ground wire on exterior only but would like to give it a little help.

Jay Bates new system is mostly 6".  I don't want that much 6" around my shop. If needed I will run the first few feet out of 6" but will split off to 4" and all my drops will be 4" for sure.

On 3/2/2017 at 9:21 PM, comp56 said:

I have and he has covered a few of different styles, good info for sure, however from the looks of things he has bought or has been given products that are out of my budget or willing to spend. I;m happy with my set up so far for hundreds of dollars not thousands of dollars.

Jay claims it was the cheapest he could get.

23 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd be hesitant to use PVC, the static could cause issues. 

He mentioned this and if I remember correctly he said he wasn't going to ground it.

10 minutes ago, Jronman said:

Jay claims it was the cheapest he could get.

He mentioned this and if I remember correctly he said he wasn't going to ground it.

well then jay bates is crazy, if he isn't going to ground it...but what do I know.....

7 minutes ago, comp56 said:

well then jay bates is crazy, if he isn't going to ground it...but what do I know.....

I thought he mentioned he didn't have to worry about it. Maybe even gave the humid climate as his reasoning.

on to another mod for 4" duct work on yet another shop tool,

the Ridgid oscillating sander seems to be a pretty common, I've had mine for about 3 years and the biggest gripe i have is the stock dust collection. I figured it was time to try something with it, don't get me wrong it has paid for itself 3 times over so i'm not worried about the warranty on it. Here is a video of what I did, I'm happy with the results it sucks way better than before.........

• Like 2

Awesome. I have the same sander and it works great.  My dust collection is currently "fair" but I know if I lay the hose on the top of table it works perfect. So I plan to modify mine with a flat nozzle that attaches to left side of table.

Great mod !

It would have to be adjustable and always messing with it when you changed to spindle mode.  This gives you the benefit of 4" too. Mine is bench mounted on a slide in a spot I will never be able to run 4" anyway. My miter saw and sander will always be connected to the Festool dust extractor.

Yes my milwaukee 12" miter saw had pretty good dust control the way it was bit I modded it to go straight into a 4" hose no bends and added about an inch and a half of flexible plastic to lower the factory deflectors so it really just pulls everything very well probably the best improvement I got so far

On 2/25/2017 at 2:30 PM, comp56 said:

dust control upgrade, getting there removed hose from blower to barrel to be direct. ordering a canister and when that gets here then I will raise the main collector to same height as blower to shorten or remove that hose as well. Where the collector is I have a height issue as it is on a raised platform so ceiling height is reduced it is not a big deal other than the collector bag is at it's limit but a canister replacement is almost 12" shorter To empty barrel collar directly under blower is loosened off and slips down giving room to move barrel out. I'll will update soon

11_4.jpg

What kind of speakers are those in the background?

• 4 weeks later...

well it's been awhile since I posted some stuff I have been doing to the dust collector, this time a clear plastic bag upgrade, 

I came across a 15 gallon white barrel, it was big enough coupled with the separator I have inline that it will not fill all that quickly. I figure this barrel will need emptying once for every 6 or 8 times the separator needs emptying. In my small one man shop that translates to probably 5 or 6 times a year....
I just made the bottom from 3/4" plywood I had and made a tight fit in the bottom of the dust collector housing, I then offset a hole again tight fit for the barrel. I positioned the opening just inches after the deflector inside the housing so anything coming in will have the most opening coming off the ramp and will drop instead of centering it. I made the bottom plywood sealed and screwed to housing but barrel is only tight fit with foil tape. I'd rather replace the 4 feet of foil tape a few times a year then buy bags. by the way I tested the tight fit of the barrel and foil tape by filling it with water to see how much it would hold before it let go.....and surprisingly it was a little over half So in saying that when it gets half full of fine saw dust it won't be anywhere near the weight of water. (did the water test before assembly) Sorry for the poor quality pics I almost forgot to take them.....
I put a light in behind the white barrel so I could see it's level.
all sealed up and it works good.......no more bags no more holes... here is a short video ....

1.jpg

2.jpg

20170331_130515.jpg

• Like 1