Best corded miter saw

WestWrangler

I bought a 780 a while ago.  It has a lot of great features, but the slides were abysmal and would get caught up when doing steep angle bevels.  Thought there was something wrong with it, but checked two hd displays and they were both the same. If you are using it for framing and general carpentry work it's still a great saw, but not for high end carpentry. The kapex can't be beat as a trim saw, but it uses a 30mm arbor and the blades can get expensive, so I reserve for cabinets and high end trim jobs. It also really does not have the same capacity as most higher end 12s on the market, close, but not quite, and I want more capacity for framing. The 12in axial Bosch is my go too general purpose saw. Great for framing as well as trim, and I can throw a cheap blade on it for mdf, LSL's and prefinished floors if need be.  My father in law is also a cabinet maker and has the 12in hitachi.  I don't have too much time on it, but it's an incredible saw for the money, and it certainly seems capable of high end results.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dcl said:

I bought a 780 a while ago.  It has a lot of great features, but the slides were abysmal and would get caught up when doing steep angle bevels.  Thought there was something wrong with it, but checked two hd displays and they were both the same. If you are using it for framing and general carpentry work it's still a great saw, but not for high end carpentry. The kapex can't be beat as a trim saw, but it uses a 30mm arbor and the blades can get expensive, so I reserve for cabinets and high end trim jobs. It also really does not have the same capacity as most higher end 12s on the market, close, but not quite, and I want more capacity for framing. The 12in axial Bosch is my go too general purpose saw. Great for framing as well as trim, and I can throw a cheap blade on it for mdf, LSL's and prefinished floors if need be.  My father in law is also a cabinet maker and has the 12in hitachi.  I don't have too much time on it, but it's an incredible saw for the money, and it certainly seems capable of high end results.

Ive done a little research on some of the hitachi's and the 12" will only miter up to 45 but the 10" will go to 52.5"

• Like 1

On 2/26/2017 at 10:08 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

haha it's cool, it tilts to create a bevel hows that LOL

in layman's terms

Miter is a horizontal angle

Bevel is a vertical angle

compound miter can do both at the same time

• Like 1

Dewalt 780 only has bearings on one of the two slides, right? Isn't that why it slides sort of funky? I thought I had read that, hopefully not spreading "fake news" ?.

@ChrisK do you find the Kapex has more lateral rigidity with its rails set so far apart? Seems like a sturdy design but I have no more hands on experience with it than testing the head spring a couple time in store while admiring the wall of ETS and Rotex etc lol. 

14 hours ago, Bremon said:

Surprised you don't use those man arms to power a hand saw like "real men" do. No mitre box required of course; "real men" just freehand it. ? 

Chuck Norris doesn't need a saw. He tells the board what size it is.

Jack Bauer doesn't need a saw. He uses torture interrogation on the board until it becomes the right size. In less than 24 hours.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jronman said:

Jack Bauer doesn't need a saw. He uses torture interrogation on the board until it becomes the right size. In less than 24 hours.

Steven Seagal slaps it to the right size

Jean-Claude Van Damme wonders why it's not the right size while he fights off 130 guys dodging bullets from their machine guns

Robert De Niro just gets someone else to cut it

the rain man just says how many ways it can be cut over and over

Al Pachino knows it should be cut but doesn't always want to

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jronman said:

Actually jack bauer waterboards...the board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, comp56 said:

Steven Seagal slaps it to the right size

Jean-Claude Van Damme wonders why it's not the right size while he fights off 130 guys dodging bullets from their machine guns

Robert De Niro just gets someone else to cut it

the rain man just says how many ways it can be cut over and over

Al Pachino knows it should be cut but doesn't always want to

The president forgets about the board and goes play golf.

Macgyver gets a toothpick, some gum, and a battery to cut the board

The Terminator destroys the board

The most interesting man cuts the board while diving off a cliff to save some dolphins with a smile and a Dos Equis.

• Like 1

The most interesting man cuts the board while diving off a cliff to save some dolphins with a smile and a Dos Equis.

And the academy mis places the board card and selects a beam instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Have you seen Steven Seagal lately ? He eats the board....

Yea but first he scares it with his judo chop

I watched him and a former wrestler in a movie, Goldberg or whatever his name was? Never was a wrestler guy, anywho it was the chubby has been action star flick ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Jronman said:

Some days I measure the board four times and cut once and still...#!%&!!

i have two dewalts a 12 and a 10 inch, the 12 is probably 12 years old and still cuts great. i bought new and better blades though, festool is the only one where you wont have to buy a new blade right out of the box. i had a chance to try my friends festool but i walked away,, was afraid. you wont be sorry about the dewalts though

Here is a picture of my mitersaw its around 32ish years old production year around 1985 . very powerful cuts better then some saws I have used . That have been 15 amp and this ones only 12 . overall wouldn't trade her for anything . was my high schools and I bought it from them and restro it new paint grease 

Screenshot2016-10-16at1_01_18PM.thumb.jpg.4d9e6fdee475179cc3f578b5f7731955.jpg

Screenshot2016-10-16at1_01_06PM.thumb.jpg.6974dadc7952a3fc6db3da52ecd2497a.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Here is a picture of my mitersaw its around 32ish years old production year around 1985 . very powerful cuts better then some saws I have used . That have been 15 amp and this ones only 12 . overall wouldn't trade her for anything . was my high schools and I bought it from them and restro it new paint grease 

Screenshot2016-10-16at1_01_18PM.thumb.jpg.4d9e6fdee475179cc3f578b5f7731955.jpg

Screenshot2016-10-16at1_01_06PM.thumb.jpg.6974dadc7952a3fc6db3da52ecd2497a.jpg

just need to outfit the saw with a slider?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
for the money I think the hitachi cant be beat

The Hitachi 12" slider is such a good saw especially for the price. I ended up selling mine for the Bosch glide saw. I wouldn't say I moved up but went sideways with it. I love my Bosch and I got it for a great price but the Hitachi is severely underrated.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2