New tools/Flexvolt 3ah battery

soicyboy

I just wish we knew for sure on whether a mower was coming.  I know there are leaks and rumors but nothing has been confirmed yet.  I actually bought into the 40v stuff but as just a single home owner the Flexvolt may make more sense in the long term since you get the battery synergy.  I doubt the mower would be on the 40v line as that is meant for more professionals who are going to use the bigger mowers anyway but on Flexvolt I could see it working. If not I may just go Ego and keep all my tools on just the 20v platform. 

4 hours ago, BigTuras said:

I just wish we knew for sure on whether a mower was coming.  I know there are leaks and rumors but nothing has been confirmed yet.  I actually bought into the 40v stuff but as just a single home owner the Flexvolt may make more sense in the long term since you get the battery synergy.  I doubt the mower would be on the 40v line as that is meant for more professionals who are going to use the bigger mowers anyway but on Flexvolt I could see it working. If not I may just go Ego and keep all my tools on just the 20v platform. 

Dewalt's mower can't be too far away....

Screenshot_2017-03-06-07-26-43.png

• Like 2

On 3/6/2017 at 7:30 AM, Cr8ondt said:

Dewalt's mower can't be too far away....

That is good news as maybe you are right and it is not far away.  I do hope they go with a different design though.  That thing looks more like a toy than a rugged piece of equipment.  It needs more than just a yellow and black point job. :)

2 hours ago, BigTuras said:

That is good news as maybe you are right and it is not far away.  I do hope they go with a different design though.  That thing looks more like a toy than a rugged piece of equipment.  It needs more than just a yellow and black point job. :)

I did see one at Menards and while I didn't spend much time looking at it, it did look well made, the thing I was surprised most about was how close the B&D batteries resemble FV ones, I guess I shouldn't be surprised buy it lol.

58c1edec87fc1_2017-03-1011_03_39.jpg.b6ba4202b715a75a84e55dcbce06bd99.jpgAnyone see the new Makita impact drivers coming out of Japan?

Most compact and fastest rpms in the class.

Dewalt need to come up with something similar very quickly.

SPECIFICATIONS1/4″ hex bit holderLow speed: 0-1100 RPM, 0-1100 IPMMedium speed: 0-2100 RPM, 0-2600 IPMHigh speed: 0-3600 RPM, 0-3800 IPMWeighs 1.4 kg (3.1 lbs) with 3.0Ah BL1830 batteryBuilt-in LED fuel gauge

Makita says that the TD148D is 35% faster than their previous leading 18V-class impact driver. 175 Nm, which is about 1550 in-lbs.

Makita-18V-LXT-TD148D-Impact-Driver.jpg

Don't hold your breath. Makita takes impact drivers far more seriously than yellow or red, as you can see Makita is basically competing with itself. Red and yellow slowly leapfrog each other (just barely) and pretend the teal king doesn't exist. 

• Like 1

Just curious if I'm the only one that thinks impact drivers have gotten a bit carried away?  Don't get me wrong the more compact the better but it's like they got in a war to see who can take the biggest lug nut off.  To me that's what a impact wrench is for.  I think my 2753 has to much torque in setting 3 for a lot of things I do but setting 2 is too slow.  The 2653 is almost a better combination of torque and speed to me.  One question that I have and don't really know the answer to, is having more speed with less torque more controllable with smaller construction screws? It just seems like that is kind of the approach makita takes and they're king of impact drivers.

• Like 1

Makita knows RPM is where it's at with smaller screws, torque past a certain point doesn't matter as much if you're not dealing with beastly fasteners. That's why their impacts drive the usual construction screws faster than higher torque models in other colours.

• Like 1

Yep, the new torque wars will be in hydraulic drivers I feel. Impact drivers are pretty much maxed out at this point. Like 1100+ in lb drills, eventually they're all at a level where you can't go wrong. The power tools arms race is in other categories these days lol. 

6 hours ago, Bremon said:

Yep, the new torque wars will be in hydraulic drivers I feel. Impact drivers are pretty much maxed out at this point. Like 1100+ in lb drills, eventually they're all at a level where you can't go wrong. The power tools arms race is in other categories these days lol. 

Torque with hydraulics will be tougher to judge. For all of Milwaukee's marketing fluff, their published graphs for the Surge make a good point: Higher sustain of a lower torque number is an okay replacement for high peak torque. I don't think the math behind that is easy to put on a marketing graphic (definitely harder than x is bigger than y), so it will be interesting to see the comparisons that companies come up with.

That being said, I think hydraulic drivers' sweet spot is in smaller diameter fasteners, so you are right when you say rpm is ultimately where it's at. But we've been trained to look for torque numbers so torque will likely be what we get.