What to do with old tools???

WeldfabNeil

What do you guys do with your old tools? I am always upgrading an left with the old ones. I also somehow accumulate tools.

Usually if I hear someone wants/needs one I give it to them. My used Bosch 12 volt stuff went to theultimatehic. I had some other stuff I no longer needed so tossed in the box. I have literally two boxs of extra screwdrivers so gave some to a neighbor kid. For the hassle an time it takes I rarely sell stuff. Ten bucks isn't worth ten lowball offers 5 of which are from questionable people. If it's something big it's worth the hassle but the small stuff I just "pay it forward" 

• Like 4

My daughter if she needs it and if not Craigslist. When I do Craigslist I price things fair and clearly state PRICE IS FIRM-CASH ONLY.

If its not worth $40 or $50 and if I cant give it away easy it goes to the garbage can.

I love to pay it forward but a lot of stuff doesn't make sense to ship !

I should find a place to donate.

Like you said, not worth it if small items.

I did sell my SnapOn classic 96 box on craigslist, that actually went quite well.

I've passed a few things on to new guys here at work, screwdrivers, and a buddy of mine got a few triple square socket bits for his Volkwagen, since i no longer have one.

I still have most of my mechanics tools, and the only other tools i really had to get rid of was the old XRP dewalt line, they were used and abused and no one would be able to use them without some surgery haha

• Like 1

One of my nephews just bought his first house, so I have been sifting through all of my tools looking for duplicates and passing them along. I have to agree that getting low ball offers on an item is too much of an insult to bother with. I would rather let an item rot then deal with the attitudes most times. Paying it forward works well enough for many items, but only if someone really needs the item. Marginal items generally get tossed. The other insult that you run into is when you give something to someone and then they accidentally tell you how much they got for it on eBay.

I won't bother selling anything on CL unless its over 100.00. I also post I will not even respond to low ball offers. I hate having people come to my house, but I have two cameras staring them in the face as they come down my drive way. 

I would rather give away tools to people starting out, than try and get 10 to 20.00 for the cheaper things.

3 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

You also sold me some of your used m18 stuff for the cost of shipping. I agree with you, I like paying it forward when I can. I normally give it to a neighbor, an employee at my shop or a FB friend.

I totally forgot, that was a while ago. How are they doing?

there is a huge economic impact involved, depends if you are a tradesman or a company owner that actually makes money from newer better faster tools or your just a hobbyist/DIYer that relies on the tools at hand to do what you want done. or like most toolnuts just want the bigger better faster latest and greatest tool just to have it. I know myself I don't need 9 different drills nor do I condemn anyone that wants or has them however I am a little old school and have been brought up that most tools should last you a long time so in saying that I do a lot of research before buying tools I try to spread the budget over the whole shop by having many different tools to do many different things. I also have patients being able to wait for deals not rush out and grab it at full retail just to have it. So to answer your question I probably have most of my tools and very rarely I might sell something off if I go buy a tool and because of a combo deal end up with a second duplicate tool. I have however bought more than one tool because it was a smoking deal and later sold them and kept one that I wanted. Not gonna lie, eat my food but don't mess with my tools....!!!

• Like 1

It depends on the tool. I usually just give my no longer wanted/needed tools to someone who does want/need them. 

There are occasions where a tool I'm getting rid of has significant enough value that I opt to sell it, but those instances are pretty few and far between.

Someone once said if you are looking at buying a new tool and have 2 tools you want to buy but the budget for only one,  go with the tool that provides the most amount of function you don't already have.

I have tried to follow this principle even before I heard what this person said. I guess we will see when my tool collection gets bigger. I don't see a reason to have 50 cordless drills just because. I don't foresee myself selling many tools unless It was a tool that came with a deal that I already had/didn't need or a tool that is getting upgraded and no longer needed because I don't really need duplicates of tools right now. 

I usually give it away to someone who wants or needs it. If i charge anything its not much. I accumulate tools myself and once in a while i clear out doubles i never use and pass em on.  Speaking of, @Fletcher94 bout to ship your package been waiting on some things to get shipped in. It's coming soon I promise lol.