Tools you hate lending?

StrippedScrew

I think we all have a tool/s that you hate lending or would never lend.

For me its my chainsaws I would never lend them out to anyone, another would be my tape measure, OK I know its just a tape measure but for some reason I hate lending it to people. Last time I gave my fatmax to a friend it didn't come back.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

I am selective who I would lend to. The list is short.

Anything I have that says Festool on it never leaves the shop. Bring it over and I will do something for you with it but dont ask to borrow :)

Iv an old makita drill that somehow still has a beat I keep that around so when anyone ask for a drill they get the makita.

until the government issues a NO tool buying band, and probably not even then... none of my tools get lent out to anyone. When I needed something I marched my ass down to HD and bought it they can too.......plain and simple......call me a prick call me a grumpy old man I don't care and another thing keep your hands clapping at all times in my shop!

• Like 5

I don't lend tools to anyone but my dad and brother. They are the only ones I trust to take care of them just as well as I do and if they break them they have the funds to replace them.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm selective as to who I lend to. I'll come over and help you or you can bring it to me and I'll do it for you, but some tools I just don't like to loan out. 

In a lot of cases it's not a lack of trust, it's just doubt that they have the ability to use/care for the tool to my standards. 

• Like 2

Miter saws. I cringe thinking about people cutting improper materials on my expensive saw blades. 

Last time I gave my 780 to a friend, I gave it to him without the blade, he asked where it was and I pointed south and said "Home Depot". 

Nobody has asked to use my Planer but probably the same story there. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, comp56 said:

until the government issues a NO tool buying band, and probably not even then... none of my tools get lent out to anyone. When I needed something I marched my ass down to HD and bought it they can too.......plain and simple......call me a prick call me a grumpy old man I don't care and another thing keep your hands clapping at all times in my shop!

This is the correct answer.

On 3/6/2017 at 5:39 PM, comp56 said:

When I needed something I marched my ass down to HD and bought it they can too.......plain and simple

5 hours ago, Foneguy said:

I bought ...... so can you

lets say I have a $20,000 wide belt sander and my neighbor needs to use the wide belt. For whatever reason no other tool will do the task the neighbor needs to complete except the wide belt. Lets also say I follow the "I bought it so can you principle".

My neighbor asks me, "can I borrow your wide belt sander?"
I say, "No you can't use my wide belt sander. You will have to buy your own."

To an extent this could work with cheaper tools like a cordless drill, but I don't see it working with more expensive tools like a wide belt. It's not like the neighbor is gonna have the resources or the need to scrap together $20,000 for a wide belt to complete one task.

I would obviously teach the neighbor how to use the sander or whatever expensive tool that the neighbor is needing and be around when it's in use just incase something would go wrong. Not letting them use the tool just doesn't seem right to me. Thats just my 2 cents.

like I said before, call me a prick or a grumpy old man whatever you want, I look at it this way did your neighbor take on such a project that he would need a $20,000 tool to complete knowing you have one or was it shear coincidence that you have one and he ended up needing one? Take away the tool value. I worked in an industry that the tradesman were paid a premium but they also had to come to work with their own tools, it was highly frowned upon to ask to use someone else's tools regardless of what it was or why it was. No different than asking someone to use their favorite fishing rod well all my tools are my favorite.....same with money and friends, I'd rather give you 20 bucks if you needed it so I know I'm not getting it back than to give you 20 bucks and never see it but expect it.....so ya I don't lend money either.......I'm a nice guy I will sit down any time and chit chat about anything over a coffee in my shop as long as you bring the coffee.....

• Like 4

Only a few people I let borrow tools . Usually they get returned to me dirty it makes me not want to lend but finally I had enough so I told him don't get it so fucking dirty , respect other peoples things. I would have to be with comp I have put a shit load of work into getting tools and fixing them so I don't lend out very often .

Almost as bad as Comp56, but have had (all dead now) a couple of friends I would loan anything to. I also have some less than top notch tools I will lend to some people. If they want more than that, they have to buy their own. Used to have a more generous policy, but after having some tools not returned or returned damaged and/or dirty, I reconsidered in self defense.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jronman said:

lets say I have a $20,000 wide belt sander and my neighbor needs to use the wide belt. For whatever reason no other tool will do the task the neighbor needs to complete except the wide belt. Lets also say I follow the "I bought it so can you principle".

My neighbor asks me, "can I borrow your wide belt sander?"
I say, "No you can't use my wide belt sander. You will have to buy your own."

To an extent this could work with cheaper tools like a cordless drill, but I don't see it working with more expensive tools like a wide belt. It's not like the neighbor is gonna have the resources or the need to scrap together $20,000 for a wide belt to complete one task.

I would obviously teach the neighbor how to use the sander or whatever expensive tool that the neighbor is needing and be around when it's in use just incase something would go wrong. Not letting them use the tool just doesn't seem right to me. Thats just my 2 cents.

Could he not rent it from somewhere? Barring that, if it absolutely HAD to be my tool that is used, I would rather go over and do that task for him than just send the tool along. Chances are if he was my neighbour, I've already offered my help anyway.

don't get me wrong I wasn't always like that, I have lost a jigsaw, router and a small arc welder over the years, I tracked down the router and the welder after some time but never seen the jigsaw again. funny how people can easily come by to pick stuff up but it is the life of them to being it back almost 100% of the time I HAD to go get my tools because they are to busy......so ya that is just one reason I don't lend tools and I don't care if it is a $2 screwdriver

• Like 4