Rust Prevention

Jronman

When you find something that works let me know. I have tried everything you read about online that is supposed to work "better than anything else"

This includes Johnson  paste wax, Boshield and even Lie Nielsen Jojoba oil.  My table saw is next to my utility sink so I often splash it after washing my hands.

One of the guys on here mentioned clear poly but I have not tried that yet.

Boshield worked the best so far. 

all my cast or surfaced ground steel is protected with raw straight up bees wax rubbed in but then again my shop is a constant 72 degrees year round so I'm sure that helps 

• Like 1

I have a secret recipe treatment, wanna buy some?! Lol

It's a can of stuff I can't even remember what it's called, some old old waxy something, now I gotta go look and see what it is..I only tried it once a month ago after I removed a light bit of rust with a worn out sander pad on my ROS on the bandsaw, scroll saw and table saw... Something that has been in my in laws shop since before I was born probably lol

biggest rule in my shop is NO I repeat NO hot coffee cups on or near cast iron of any kind.....you want a ring in cast iron that will take you 3 months of sundays to get rid of go ahead it will leave a ring 99% of the time in a matter of minutes  

On 3/9/2017 at 9:35 PM, comp56 said:

biggest rule in my shop is NO I repeat NO hot coffee cups on or near cast iron of any kind.....you want a ring in cast iron that will take you 3 months of sundays to get rid of go ahead it will leave a ring 99% of the time in a matter of minutes  

Shouldn't be too hard considering I've never had coffee before. haha

I like Ballistol or Boeshield T9. I follow up with Renassaince wax. So far so good though I had a complete moron moment and left a piece of PT on my Sawstop. Rust! After having a crying episode followed by the whole range of emotions, I sanded with steel wool and denatured mineral spirits followed by the above. Clean and no problems since.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jronman said:

so its pizza toppings?

No dude, pressure treated lumber. It's treated to prevent rot but it is almost always wet when you buy it at the home center. Like an IDIOT, I laid a piece over my table saw over night. Came down stairs and there was a vertices line where the lumber was resting.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

No dude, pressure treated lumber. It's treated to prevent rot but it is almost always wet when you buy it at the home center. Like an IDIOT, I laid a piece over my table saw over night. Came down stairs and there was a vertices line where the lumber was resting.

I sometimes use a piece of PT cut in the neighborhood of 6"x8"( exact numbers are not important) to hold my pizza .

??????? YUM !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

I knew that.........another thing that will leave marks on a cast table top is a hot coffee cup......probably already said that but I'll say it again...

16 minutes ago, Jronman said:

Mineral Spirits

I used denatured mineral spirits and steel wool but in all fairness the spirits won't rust your top. It eats the rust right up. Water, coffee, beer, humidity etc etc etc.....that's another story. Of pure pizza toppings would rust it too.

1 minute ago, ChrisK said:

I used denatured mineral spirits and steel wool but in all fairness the spirits won't rust your top. It eats the rust right up. Water, coffee, beer, humidity etc etc etc.....that's another story. Of pure pizza toppings would rust it too.

Oh I said Mineral Spririts cause it is Damp haha

I happen to be in climate controlled basement, humidity hot cold everything is controlled so I don't have much of a problem with my cast other than hot coffee cups.....did I mention they can leave a mark in minutes anyway, my father on the other hand had his woodworking shop outside in the garage....back then he heated it with you guessed it a wood stove so temps were all over the place hot cold damp dry wet you name it BUT he didn't have a problem with any cast either, and the reason is simple..he made plywood covers for his table saw and other rust problematic tools such as planes ect ect always stored them on plywood.

as for the table saw he lowered the blade at night and covered it and left it covered even the next day if he didn't need it.....might help someone with rust problems and hot cover cups for that matter...hmm