A Free Bandsaw...

Conductor562

On 3/23/2017 at 0:28 AM, Conductor562 said:

@Grumpy MSG: That makes sense, but I'm still miffed that the markings are that far off. They can make it however long they like, but you'd still expect the markings to be right.

I can understand where you are coming from, but I can just see the insanity that would ensue on the forum with the 47" mark being about 1/16" to 1/8" different from the 1" mark. i think they do it the way they do it so that the marks work for a full sheet of drywall no matter whether you are going 10 inches up or 38 inches down. Think how mad you would be if the scale were slipped up like you would like and you went to cut a window opening leaving 10 inches below the window. Then the drywall would have an extra 1/8" left on it because the scale was off from the bottom of a sheet. 

P.S. I looked at my Walboard brand drywall square in my basement and it was short an 1/8". I was 90% sure it was that way because I had helped a contractor hang some a few years ago and he taught me about that trick, and I looked at that time and saw that my square was already shortened. I just didn't remember how much for sure.