Tool box

Bmill25

I'm looking for a tool box that I can toss on the back of my truck in the rain, snow, etc. I know that the dewalt tough box is a good product but are there any others out there that would work. I'm a masonry contractor so they'll be used roughly. 

Ridgid pro boxes. They are sealed against weather too and what I use. Just saying that's another option, not necessarily that it's better.

Ridgid-Pro-Tool-Box-Cart-Filled-with-Too

Ridgid-Pro-Tool-Box.jpg

This is my exact setup that I bought on sale when HD has it on sale occasionally for $99:

Ridgid-Pro-Tool-Boxes-Stacked.jpg

I may be getting a tough system ds300.... I'll definitely update if I actually do get it

I dont see the pictures @KnarlyCarl

@Bmill25 the Ridgid boxes are a great alternative to the tough boxes. 

I have had experience with both systems. In general I prefer the tough system because it has more box options than the Ridgid system and the wall mount is a nice addition. I own a ds130 and a ds300. Both boxes work well for what I use them for. The compartments in the lid of the ds130 are a nice addition. I am interested in getting a ds400.I prefer the side latches for locking boxes together on the Ridgid boxes because they are metal latches. The latches to keep the box lid closed seem a bit stronger on the tough boxes than the Ridgid boxes. Hard to go wrong with either system.

58 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

What about the smaller Ridgid job box?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-32-in-x-19-in-Portable-Storage-Chest-2032-OS/100189569

It's 32x19 and weighs 77 lbs. empty, so you won't be throwing it anywhere, 

The Ridgid boxes are actually made by Knaack. I recently emailed Ridgid to buy the Ubolts that hold the locks into their boxes and they forwarded me to the knaack website.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 0:27 AM, SetBuilder said:

The Ridgid boxes are actually made by Knaack. I recently emailed Ridgid to buy the Ubolts that hold the locks into their boxes and they forwarded me to the knaack website.

Any price difference when shopping for the two? Or are Knaack boxes higher quality than the Ridgid?

25 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

I'd be interested to see them side by side

I'll look around at work. A lot of guys have the Ridgid 48 x 24 box http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-48-in-x-24-in-Universal-Storage-Chest-2048-OS/100130283 But I think there are a few Knaack in the same size floating around. I'll see if there is much of a difference.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2017 at 8:10 PM, Conductor562 said:

I'd be interested to see them side by side

I really don't see much of a difference to warrant buying a Knaack over the Ridgid box. Unless you move to the larger boxes Ridgid does not offer. 

The lock mechanism is different on the Knaack, but it has one lock where the Ridgid has two.

from just knocking on the steel it does not seem like a heavier gauge.