Makita App

noodeel

I see that Makita have an app in the Play Store that can set it's batteries to disable in case they are stolen... It's kind of interesting rather than really useful... But I can't find any reference to any of their products being NFC capable...

Are all the batteries NFC? 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.makita.nfc.powertools

The app has been on there for months. I installed it and posted about it on my instagram in November last year trying to fish for information but all I've found out so far is the newer 'B' indicator batteries are hiding technology  that could communicate via NFC, however I've tried a few different devices and from what I can gather, an intermediate device is needed from Makita to activate it. Some of the US tool boxes include documentation about this but no one I've spoken to seems to know anything about this device or how the technology works in practice.

• Like 1

I've been digging further and a patent application has been made by Makita JPN for a new device that could potentially double as a new style charger but in the description it mentions the use of a pass code to disable the use of the battery and the logic process requests a secondary auth code to operate the tool, so this could be the controller.

synclock.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Very interesting find. Never heard of this before

It's been developed for the US market. It's called sync lock and need adapter to put on the battery. The sync lock information is on the side of the new sub compact stuff being sold in the US. I spoken with a USA makita rep recently while I was in the US and the adapter isn't out yet. I've asked my local makita Australia rep and was told it's unlikely come to Australia 

7 hours ago, Tool Lover 69 said:

I first heard about this at a Makita Expo in June last year. At that we were shown pictures of a new charger that would work on existing batteries to basically turn them on and off at certain times. Surprised it still hasn't been released, and clearly not made just for the US.

Word from a makita Australia R&D rep was that it wasn't coming to Australia any time soon 

7 hours ago, Tool Lover 69 said:

I first heard about this at a Makita Expo in June last year. At that we were shown pictures of a new charger that would work on existing batteries to basically turn them on and off at certain times. Surprised it still hasn't been released, and clearly not made just for the US.

Apparently the technology is already in star makita batteries 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...