Opinions needed (Makita 18v Subcompact vs. Milwaukee 12v Fuel)

aabee

Yes probably a bad example.  But honestly when I pick up the two bare tools at the same time the fuel feels heavier in the motor and impact mechanism to me.  After you called me out I went and looked at weights and was suprised at just how close they actually are.  Like I said it's probably in my head.

I'm running the Makita XDT15 and the Dewalt DCF887. Both are fantastic machines and cover all of the work I could possibly need. The assist mode on my Dewalt took some getting used which I did but with the Makita assist mode I don't even use that mode on the Dewalt. I figure enough power to driver Volkswagen sized lags with the Dewalt is good enough for me! My Makita does all of my precision work and assembly in the shop while my Dewalt will be getting a serious work out in the spring when I start a large heavy timber pergola out back.

On 3/23/2017 at 9:25 PM, Bremon said:

(come on; the 887 precision mode doesn't really count for much lol). 

May I ask why you don't like this mode? It is slow but isn't that the point? I like this mode except I have never had a Makita to compare it to.

8 minutes ago, Jronman said:

May I ask why you don't like this mode? It is slow but isn't that the point? I like this mode except I have never had a Makita to compare it to.

It takes for ever, it will slowly spin until the fastener reaches an extremely low torque point, than 5 seconds later it will start slowly impacting, 

To further what Jimbo said, not only does it turn extremely slowly (too slowly), it has no jam whatsoever to snug something up, and when it starts impacting it feels like it somehow reverses the mechanism and impacts your arm rather than the screw lol. I hate it, in case you can't tell. If I had to spin a really small screw through a piece of cardboard it would likely be sufficient for that ? 

5 minutes ago, Bremon said:

To further what Jimbo said, not only does it turn extremely slowly (too slowly), it has no jam whatsoever to snug something up, and when it starts impacting it feels like it somehow reverses the mechanism and impacts your arm rather than the screw lol. I hate it, in case you can't tell. If I had to spin a really small screw through a piece of cardboard it would likely be sufficient for that ? 

What do you mean by no jam? I would agree the tool does shake a lot in this mode during impacting. Not a big fan of the shaking. Less shaking would be much appreciated. For its intended purpose it does what it is intended. Can't say I have ever broken a fastener in this mode or sank a fastener too deep because of the tool fastening too quickly or with too much power. This mode is not designed to be fast, it is designed to prevent these 2 issues even if it may not be executed as well as it could be. In some situations it would be nice to have a bit more torque before the impacting starts. One can only be optimistic that the next generation of precision drive mode is improved without sacrificing the intended purposes. Hopefully the tool connect impact will provide the solution. 

Power. Torque. Spin. Go. Juice. Balls. Whatever word you want to use for "ability to get the job done" lol. I just find precision mode too weak. I can be more precise, yet use more power, using one of my Wera screwdrivers. 

It's precise when its operating like a drill/driver. All precision is thrown out the window when it starts trying to rip your arm off like a Trump handshake. 

I understand it's meant to be precise, and have very little power. The problem is it has about as much power as an M12 screwdriver in that mode, but depends on its impacting to get to that amount of power. 

I would prefer to see slightly higher rpm/torque with impacting completely disabled. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

As someone who's already invested in Makita's 18v line I really like the idea of subcompact tools.. I've always liked the thought of having a few 12v tools for small/quick work. But the idea of having to keep track of a whole new set of chargers/batteries doesn't seem worth the trade off. But smaller tools that use my same 18v batteries I really like.

I've had the subcompact set for a while, I really like it. It'd be great for an electrician, plumber, or cabinet guys installing pulls/knobs. Obviously they're for lighter duty work, and it's nice to have the lighter tool when the beefy heavier duty capacity isn't needed. They'd be great for someone who's on a ladder most of the day, as they're very light weight and you hardly notice them on your belt.