What will Makita come out with next?

Jronman

23 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

What do you mean with less holding power ? :)

He meant the likelihood of weaker fastening with d-head nails. As for residential construction in New Zealand, majority of timber framing is done with Paslode d-head nails. What is the regulation of clipped head nails in North America?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Ah yeah :) most nails for framing nailers are also clipped here. 

No federal laws against them, you could build a fence or something non structural most places.  There is not a single National code in the US.

The heads are smaller so they are more likely to pull through structural, roof sheathing etc. In many locals along the South and East coast they are either against code or frowned upon due to hurricane wind threat.  In California/ west coast due to earthquakes again they are more likely to pull through sheathing in a quake.  

Probably in the central US in "tornado alley" they have or will have in the future problems with them too. 

Here in Georgia I dont think I can even buy clipped head nails or nailers at my local big boxes stores.

Thanks again,

Brad

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had a play with all the tools below at a recent Makita trade expo... so here is what I can remember...

Some of the tools on display were apparently the only ones in the world and were just prototypes.

All of the below items are battery tools.

• 165mm 18v mitre saw
  • 10" 18v x2 sliding mitre saw with bluetooth, huge dust extraction port (x2) which will turn on your bluetooth dust extractor vac when you pull the trigger on the saw.
  • Trim router, they gave 2 away, unfortunately I didn't get one, but was informed a shop up the road from me is going to get the first shipment of these in NZ so I am happy.
  • 18v x2 plungesaw very nice, also with bluetooth for the vac
  • (not sure how new this one is) Rebar blush cutter for cutting reinforcing flush with concrete, kinda looks like a cross between an angle grinder and a biscuit cutter.
  • x2 rear handled circ saw that most of you have already seen by now.
  • 12v fan
  • 12v laser level with adapter for 18v (quite cool)
  • 2 new 12v jigsaws
  • 12v carpet/vinyl shears (much quicker with a knife than this this thing)
  • Wheelbarrow!!! Can you believe it

That is all I can remember at the moment. Will add more if things pop into my head, and add more detail on some of the above.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tool Lover 69 said:

I had a play with all the tools below at a recent Makita trade expo... so here is what I can remember...

Some of the tools on display were apparently the only ones in the world and were just prototypes.

• 165mm 18v mitre saw
  • 10" 18v x2 sliding mitre saw with bluetooth, huge dust extraction port (x2) which will turn on your bluetooth dust extractor vac when you pull the trigger on the saw.
  • Trim router, they gave 2 away, unfortunately I didn't get one, but was informed a shop up the road from me is going to get the first shipment of these in NZ so I am happy.
  • (not sure how new this one is) Rebar blush cutter for cutting reinforcing flush with concrete, kinda looks like a cross between an angle grinder and a biscuit cutter.
  • 12v fan
  • 2 new 12v jigsaws

That is all I can remember at the moment. Will add more if things pop into my head, and add more detail on some of the above.

Did they have a fully functioning cordless Bluetooth vac? Do you know the model number? 

Was the 10" saw double bevel? Always 18v x2 or operate on 1 battery as well? How about the plunge saw? Always 2 batteries? Based on the SP6000J?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tool Lover 69 said:

• 165mm 18v mitre saw
  • 12v fan
  • 2 new 12v jigsaws

More important..   did you make any pictures ?

• Like 2

On 14/05/2017 at 11:08 PM, marsh942 said:

Did they have a fully functioning cordless Bluetooth vac? Do you know the model number? 

Was the 10" saw double bevel? Always 18v x2 or operate on 1 battery as well? How about the plunge saw? Always 2 batteries? Based on the SP6000J?

Yes the vac was fully operational and was being operated by the 10 inch and the plunge simultaneously. The tools did not yet have model numbers assigned to them. Dual bevel, operated from the front, no having to reach behind which I really liked.

Both the plunge and 10 inch need both batteries as far as I am aware.

• Like 1