Always amazed at Extreme Woodworker.

rrmccabe

On 4/9/2017 at 0:34 PM, Conductor562 said:

I can relate. I got into woodworking when Mrs. Conductor got into primitive home furnishings. I just built stuff for her, never for sale. Then her friends started bringing me lumber and having me make stuff for them.

I'm never comfortable giving someone a price. I give them a material list and they bring me what I need. Eventually, she'd decide she wanted something different so she'd sell her old one and I'd use the money to finance the new one. She sold a coffee and end table for a couple hundred dollars, a hutch for $400, and got $500 out of an entertainment center. Everything in our house that I've made has someone who has dibs on it if she gets rid of it. 

I dont mind her her selling the stuff I've built, but I don't like to build stuff for sale if that makes any sense. I make stuff for family members upon request too, but usually as gifts. I have a local primitive seller that has tried on numerous occasions to get me to build stuff. I'm not afraid of my work being judged, but like you I'm reluctant to let one of the few things that bring me joy become a job. 

I hear what your saying! I am the same way, I hate giving prices for the fact that some people just don't and never will understand what goes into making something with your hands, and always want to pay bottom dollar for a handmade piece. I am also not afraid of having my work judged I just hate having it judged by someone that doesn't know how to use a hammer.

9 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I guess I'm trying to figure out who buys Lamello tools and fastener systems? 

I work at the largest non union set shop in LA. 10 table saws, 18 new chop saws, water jet, 6 CNC one more on order, full metal shop, a bunch of festool in the tool room. Yada yada yada.

I recently interviewed at a place that does high end permanent installs in large institutions across the country and their equipment was no where near my current shop.

I have been in woodworking shops, cabinet shops etc... I have been collecting tools for about 30 years now and I have never even heard of Lamello till Rich posted that video.

Someone must be buying this stuff, who?

Go to Festool owners group. A bunch of those guys have Lamello. Pretty neat biscuit jointer but my Domino is where it's at.

40 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Go to Festool owners group. A bunch of those guys have Lamello. Pretty neat biscuit jointer but my Domino is where it's at.

Do you spend much time there?  I selectively visit when needed, but have a hard time relating with the majority of that crowd.

46 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Do you spend much time there?  I selectively visit when needed, but have a hard time relating with the majority of that crowd.

No I don't Rich. They've bashed our forum in the past which I addressed, some of the members are just dicks. I use the FOG as a research tool if I have a technical question. There is a lot of useful information in the search key. I've been a member for three years and don't interact with any of the members there. If I have a question I don't post it on the FOG, I just use the search bar.

• Like 3

Yea, a shallow cut is less inclined to tear the bottom surface of the board out. I often score the board with a quick pass over it at about 1/16" and then make a deeper cut.

If you look at the blade a shallow cut is slicing the fibers parallel to the board. The deeper the cut the more the teeth on the blade are pulling straight down.