Interesting visit to Home Depot today

Conductor562

On a routine visit to HD to pick up a table saw blade and some stain, one of my guys told me the had 2 new things brewing in the tool world.

1. Dewalt is in the process of converting many of their drill/drive tools to plastic gears

2. Milwaukee is preparing to roll out some updates to the M28 line.

Anyone else heard this? I can't, or at least don't want to believe that #1 is true. I can't believe #2 has taken this long.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Lets hope so Pal.

I am soon in the market for a 36v cordless drill because a manufacturer decided to make the 24v range out of toffee wrappers rather than the top grade materials they use on the 18v line up.

Metabo 24v blew up AGAIN and now it is out of guarantee so I will be paying for the fix. Hole for buck this has been the most expensive drill I ever bought.

Fantastic when it works,and out performs everything else out there, but it self destructs every few weeks because the internals are just made of crap.

• 2 months later...

Unless its some crazy plastic with carbon fiber I don't see how they could go to plastic with the torque these new tools are producing. It might be just be for the lower end Dewalt 99 dollar drills you see for sale all the time they just sell them to they dyier that does not know better. The old xrp and 20v max are designed and built to handle contractor grade punishment. Wow, I didn't write a post bashing Dewalt like I have been lately.

• 2 months later...

1. Dewalt is in the process of converting many of their drill/drive tools to plastic gears

I remember when The Garcia-Mitchell line of fishing reels went from bronze gears to nylon back in the 60's. Within the next couple years their entire line of open face reels literally vanished.

Any manufacturer who does this is clearly saying, "I'm going to take your money but I'm only going to give you junk in return."

• 3 weeks later...