Makita Impact Wrench for an idiot

novice121

Hello! I have a lot cordless Makita tools, except for an impact wrench. I need to spend between $200-$300 bucks in the US.

I am very ignorant to car mechanics except for basics. I have recently changed my rear wheel bearings for the first time without using a 20 ton hydraulic press, and only using a manual hand cranked press tool, and the power of leverage to turn the big bolt. I see that most Makita impact wrenches are 1/2", which is ok since I can always use adapters?

Here's more stupid questions:

Which Makita model has the most balls for that price for big 36mm bolts?

Will pneumatic guns always have more balls than battery operated guns for that price?

Is there more control over the force, and speed you drive bolts in with the battery operated one over a pneumatic impact? (mechanic drove a tire lug nut in with a pneumatic impact and tore.  the stud right out)

On 5/26/2017 at 0:13 AM, novice121 said:

Hello! I have a lot cordless Makita tools, except for an impact wrench. I need to spend between $200-$300 bucks in the US.

I am very ignorant to car mechanics except for basics. I have recently changed my rear wheel bearings for the first time without using a 20 ton hydraulic press, and only using a manual hand cranked press tool, and the power of leverage to turn the big bolt. I see that most Makita impact wrenches are 1/2", which is ok since I can always use adapters?

Here's more stupid questions:

Which Makita model has the most balls for that price for big 36mm bolts?

Will pneumatic guns always have more balls than battery operated guns for that price?

Is there more control over the force, and speed you drive bolts in with the battery operated one over a pneumatic impact? (mechanic drove a tire lug nut in with a pneumatic impact and tore.  the stud right out)

I think the wording should be "will battery operated impact wrench always have more balls than pneumatic guns" lol because cordless high torque impact wrenches have some incredible power..

Next, since you're in the Makita platform, it's a no brainier to get their brushless high torque impact wrench! Go on and have a look! 

There is more control, yes, at least from what I've experienced between the two with the impact wrenches I've been using ..

Finally, shame on that mechanic, never should have any reason to wrench down on a lug nut without a torque limiting device or proper torque wrench. I'm just a guy in my garage doing maintenance on my two personal vehicles and even I use a torque wrench!! 

There was one time when I worked in an auto shop I FORGOT to tighten the lug nuts and one wheel almost popped off a customers car (the horror!) 

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Finally, shame on that mechanic, never should have any reason to wrench down on a lug nut without a torque limiting device or proper torque wrench. I'm just a guy in my garage doing maintenance on my two personal vehicles and even I use a torque wrench!! 

There was one time when I worked in an auto shop I FORGOT to tighten the lug nuts and one wheel almost popped off a customers car (the horror!) 

Jaja, can you imagine if that one song came on the radio at that moment? "You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel..."

Can you please tell me the model of that brushless impact wrench?

Would a DIY car owner benefit more from a 1/2" with adapters for most tiny projects? (ie. caliper/struts removal/replacement)

Would you know if older 3.0ah batteries work with this tool? I have 4.0's and 5.0's too, but don't know much about compatibility.

10 hours ago, novice121 said:

Can you please tell me the model of that brushless impact wrench?

XWT08Z.

Looks to have about the same specs as my M18 Fuel HT, which hasn't met a challenge that it couldn't easily handle yet, even up here in rusty, crusty NH, including all of the suspension work on my full-size trucks.

2 hours ago, novice121 said:

Would a DIY car owner benefit more from a 1/2" with adapters for most tiny projects? (ie. caliper/struts removal/replacement)

Most definitely..  

2 hours ago, novice121 said:

Would you know if older 3.0ah batteries work with this tool? I have 4.0's and 5.0's too, but don't know much about compatibility.

I'm pretty sure they will work fine, just that some newer more powerful batteries wouldn't work with the older tools. But I would bet that any of the existing lithium batteries will work with the newer tools.  @kornomaniac maybe would know?

It's pretty common for mechanics to just torque a wheel as tight as possible. Even Dan's friend Pat does it(as seen in one of their videos), he's a long time auto guy with (Supposedly) a good reputation, he seems to know what he's talking about. I always redo my wheels if I take my car to a mechanic that takes them off..With alloys they can be a bitch to get off if over-torqued, so I do it at home...better than at the side of the road.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Most definitely..  

I'm pretty sure they will work fine, just that some newer more powerful batteries wouldn't work with the older tools. But I would bet that any of the existing lithium batteries will work with the newer tools.  @kornomaniac maybe would know?

They most definitly do :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2017 at 10:59 AM, KnarlyCarl said:

Most definitely..  

Well, so far the tool seems to be puppy-proof, which is my main concern with all my tools, of course.

I have used it so far successfully to:

Remove frozen axle nut.

Remove Honda crank pulley bolt.

Remove lug nuts.

Drive in manual press big bolt to press wheel bearings in.

Drive my wife crazy for spending this much on a tool.

I want to thank KnarlyCarl for his advise, as well as the other guys here.

20170604_152540.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, novice121 said:

Well, so far the tool seems to be puppy-proof, which is my main concern with all my tools, of course.

I have used it so far successfully to:

Remove frozen axle nut.

Remove Honda crank pulley bolt.

Remove lug nuts.

Drive in manual press big bolt to press wheel bearings in.

Drive my wife crazy for spending this much on a tool.

I want to thank KnarlyCarl for his advise, as well as the other guys here.

Nice! They say that's a very nice impact, the upfront cost is a little steep when comparing to pneumatic guns, but keep that wrench for many years to come and hopefully your wife will appreciate the research you put into this purchase. You never know, someday you'll need it for a roadside emergency, then your wife will see the benefit. 
Happy to help, i'm just fueling your tool desire hahaha

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...