Should I swap brands?

3 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

What is your definition of power in that reply. That's something I'm not quite getting being kind of new. Because reading specs they all seem in line. The differences I thought was overall build quality.

I'm talking torque and rpm. Ryobi and Milwaukee both have 1600 in-lbs of peak torque, but the Fuel has an extra 400 rpm. Won't matter when you're using one in place of an impact wrench, but if you ever find yourself driving fasteners (building a deck for example) you will theoretically be 11% faster with the red tool, which is not nothing. 

It all boils down to you though. If you want to switch, then it makes sense to switch. You will use the tools more if you feel more comfortable with them.

• Like 1

it is great that you are conscious of the options economically but trust me when I say if you eventually get the tool bug full blown, you will not be able to control all the purchases. You have a Milwaukee set, keep them and if you want to get into ryobi just buy them minus the milwaukee tools you have already. as for all the specs and features don't worry about them if your buying DIY level tools.

• Like 1

I paid 269$ CAD for a Hammer Drill and Impact with 2 4ah batteries. I think I'll keep them but just get the Ryobi Combo Kit (4ah battery, charger and tool) for the Impact since it's 200$ CAD on Ebay for 300foot pounds. I can't find a Milwaukee one just the tool that has 300 foot pounds that's around that price. 

Like you said, I'll pan out and if I ever need a grinder for example I'll be able to get the cheaper Ryobi. It's more special tools like that the difference was big between Milwaukee and Ryobi. @rrmccabe

• Like 1

BL motors can't do very low RPMs, so if you're doing delicate work a brushed impact is actually more desirable than BL. Or use a screwdriver. 

Only recently started getting different brands, got some 12 and 28 Volt red kit, then some Ryobi that I'm not fussed about being stolen. I also use Ryobi for things an electrician doesn't need in high-end form; jigsaw for example. Now got some flexvolt from Yellow because...........I just really wanted it. Then got some 18 Volt from Yellow to compliment the 54 Volt sds. I need to stop buying, a sparks only needs so many drills. 

Stick with what you got, they have a very comprehensive line up that is only getting better. The tools are more durable than a ryobi and higher resale value. Yea they cost more but unless you switch to a makita or dewalt of such I'd stay red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[mention=56288]Tug[/mention] isn't rpm just a matter of gearing? Brushless motors spin pretty damn fast but the motor in a brushless drill still spins faster than it's max speed or 2k rpm or so. Brushless is more than capable of delicate work. 

Speed control is handled by electronics/speed controller with a brushless motor, and you usually hear the whine from the mosfets etc at low speed. The lower the speed the greater the whine and strain.

A brushed motor can be very simply controlled through the trigger switch / variable voltage. Much simpler design. The Newer 4 poles are damn near bulletproof. A brushed will always take more punishment!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm not real familiar with Canadian tool prices but I just went to ebay Canada and it looks like for around $170 you could pick up a m18 2663 bare tool.  Its a brushed model and has about 450 ft/lbs of torque.  For $215 you could have the new brushless m18 2860 which has 450ft/lbs of torque as well but it's much smaller in size.  I would say both of these are superior to the ryobi and really in the same price range.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I'm not real familiar with Canadian tool prices but I just went to ebay Canada and it looks like for around $170 you could pick up a m18 2663 bare tool.  Its a brushed model and has about 450 ft/lbs of torque.  For $215 you could have the new brushless m18 2860 which has 450ft/lbs of torque as well but it's much smaller in size.  I would say both of these are superior to the ryobi and really in the same price range.

Hmm yeah you're right... it would actually be around 30$ cheaper than the Ryobi Wrench kit since I already have 3ah batteries.

You talking about this wrench right? 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Milwaukee-2663-20-M18-1-2-High-Torque-Impact-Wrench-w-Friction-Ring-Bare-Tool-/222526464092?hash=item33cf9c605c:g:NfQAAOSwmgJY6GIz

16 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yep that's the one I was looking at.  I have one and it's not the latest and greatest but it's still a lot of impact for diy/home auto.  

Yeah well that's the thing. I was just looking for something cheaper or same price as ryobi while giving the same specs.. This blows it by 150 ft pounds and I don't need brush less... I won't ever burn out the brushes, if I do, it's a easy fix right? 

Yea brushes are pretty easy to change but I doubt you would ever wear them out.  To me the biggest advantage of brushless is runtime but with the 4.0 batteries that won't be an issue for you either.  The one downside to the 2663 is that it does have some weight to it.

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yea brushes are pretty easy to change but I doubt you would ever wear them out.  To me the biggest advantage of brushless is runtime but with the 4.0 batteries that won't be an issue for you either.  The one downside to the 2663 is that it does have some weight to it.

I actually have the 3.0ah battery, I confused them with 4ah but they should still serve well right, I got 2 of them.

Watched a video it's around 7 pounds but shouldn't be to bad.

Hey this is a bit off topic, but regarding impact sockets, do you need them? I know if you use regular and they break they shatter everywhere but if you're in a pinch, they won't break if you use them 2 or 3 times eh?

I would guess using it in the home garage for a project you'll go all day without having to worry about the battery.  I'm using it in production where I'm tightening hundreds to thousands of bolts at a time.  

I have impact sockets and I know people say it's a big no no to use a chrome socket but at work we have guys grab chrome sockets all the time and I've never actually seen one shatter.  I have seen them crack but I would say you'll probably get away with some occasional use.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bremon said:

@Tug isn't rpm just a matter of gearing? Brushless motors spin pretty damn fast but the motor in a brushless drill still spins faster than it's max speed or 2k rpm or so. Brushless is more than capable of delicate work. 

Going from zero RPMs, a brushed motor is far smoother. BL motors will always be slightly notchy, it's inherent in how they work. It can be tamed through more expensive electronics, but that pushes prices up and can make them more fragile. BL will do small delicate work, but I don't think they'll ever be as good at ultra low RPMs as the tried and tested brushed variants. 

And as Hilti mentioned, you're not likely to wear the brushes out. My V18 set was eight years old and the brushes were still showing no sign of wearing out. Then they were stolen. :(

• Like 2

In my opinion what tool brand you go with depends on your needs. I am a Ryobi user myself and it suits my needs just fine. I am a DIY guy like you and I find their tools to be perfect for my needs. They are much cheaper than most pro brands and they almost always get the job done just fine. In my opinion they are so far above other DIY brands that they are almost approaching some lower end pro brands. The only tool that made me wish I was a Milwaukee user instead is the cordless shop vac. If Ryobi ever made one of those again (apparently they made one many years ago but it was not successful because it was ahead of it's time and the batteries of the time (ni-cad) could not adequately support it and now those vacs are rare and expensive since they have long been discontinued) I would buy it as soon as I could. I have their latest impact wrench and it has worked perfectly for taking off lug nuts when I rotate my tires.    

On 5/29/2017 at 5:59 PM, Biggie said:

I don't want to keep the story going if it isn't true, but I know in the past I've heard of ryobi batteries having some issues. I have no personal experience with them and I also know they've been making improvements in their battery technology.  I've actually considered ryobi as a cheap way to fill some holes in my line up but never done it because its another battery line and if they don't last there goes your savings. 

Are you talking about the NiCad or Li-Ion batteries? If it's the latter are you talking about first gen or second? Most of mine are several years old at this point and they all still work fine. I don't use them all the time though so I'm sure that is a factor as well.

In my entire life I don't think I have ever looked at a prior purchase regretfully and said, "Gee, I wish I'd bought something crappier."

In fact, I have kind of the opposite thing going on right now.  I have a whole lot of Craftsman hand tools, bought new 20 to 30 years ago.  By spending extra for Craftsman over other consumer channel brands, I thought I was buying for the future.  Now the future is here, Sears is circling the drain, Craftsman is owned by Stanley, my investment is devalued, and I wish I'd spent a little more to buy actual pro tools (Matco, Snap-On, etc) instead of "prosumer."

There's nothing wrong with Ryobi per se, for what it is, but it's a cheap tool and won't give you the quality or the service life of a better brand.  Cheap tools are expensive in the long run because you have to keep buying them again and again.  Spend money to save money.  Buy the best thing you can afford from the best brand you can afford.  

Keep the Milwaukee.  If you want something better than Ryobi for your next purchase but less expensive than Milwaukee, look at Hitachi.  They're ugly as turtle dicks, but some of them are great deals.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cliu said:

Are you talking about the NiCad or Li-Ion batteries? If it's the latter are you talking about first gen or second? Most of mine are several years old at this point and they all still work fine. I don't use them all the time though so I'm sure that is a factor as well.

Like I said I have zero personal experience with ryobi but you don't have to scroll too far over on the ryobi page to find a topic talking about battery issues.  Is it really a widespread issue? I don't know but it's enough to make me not want to start up another battery platform with them.  But I'm pretty well invested in milwaukee and dewalt so having a lot of those batteries makes spending a little more on a bare tool from them more advantageous to me.

• 1 month later...

if you just started to collect tools then by all means switch over to Ryobi.I work as a electrician during the day and woodworker at night and Ryobi will serve you fine.Milwaukee and dewalt and mikita are overpriced.I have used all and I can do anything with the Ryobi as the big names and half the cost.Bosch is nice but they too are expensive and they are falling behind in new tool releases