Converting garage to a workshop - sound, light, power etc,

dwain

Hey folks,

Over the next few months, I'll be finalizing house plans for a new place (the build is over 12 months away still). As I won't have much backyard, I'll be ditching my current sheds and making the garage my one and only workshop / storage place. I was wondering if I could get some advice about the things that concern me: sound-reduction, lighting and power.

First up the basics, it's a 7m wide x 6m deep garage (23' x 20'). It will have a double sectional garage in the middle of the 7m frontage. Presumably the internal height will be 9" (2.7m). It will need space to store one car only. Unfortunately, the builder is going to be plastering/drywalling all walls and roof. Sketch below:

594c9f4e009b7_DwainsGARAGE.thumb.jpg.5f3ba75879793d678eec77843fa447ba.jpg

For me it will function as a combined filming studio, woodwork workshop and storage. So I'm looking for very good lighting, heaps of power points, good sound-proofing and general workshop utility.

WALLS:

I thought I might ask the builder to put sound-insulating batts into the house-adjoining wall cavities. Also make the internal access a solid (external) door. Then might attach 3/4" plywood (lime washed) to all the walls for general utility, further sound-insulation and appearance. Problem is, will the sound just go straight through the ceiling then, which will only have regular insulation? Might ask builder to locate switchboard in garage.

CEILING:

Need lots of lighting, and will put the manhole in here. Would like to make use of the space in the ceiling for storing timber etc, but not sure how I'd achieve this neatly. Happy to cut up the drywall, but I'll have lots of lights/wiring to worry about.

POWER: 

I don't know my internal layout yet, so I'm planning to put power points everywhere. But then again, if I put a second cladding on the walls (ply), I should wait until this is done to make it easier. Ultimately I'd like double GPOs at ~5' spacing around the shed (just above bench height), with a couple of 15A (Australia power, 15A x 240V = 3600W) points also. I'm thinking of wiring these 15A GPOs ready for electric car charging (32A).

It may sound like I've got it all sorted, but I really don't. I'm second guessing myself constantly, and would love the TIA communities thoughts and ideas!

Cheers!!!

Dwain

• Like 3

Dwain,

it sounds like a great plan. 

Dont stress. Shops never have enough space, power, tools .....etc. 

stare at it, and things will come to you, if not.... have the fun of having a shop is working ON the shop ....(maybe) 

????

I could help with Plumbing if there was any of that involved here lol!! But the rest of it would just be me playing by ear so hopefully you have your resources to make this work.

The lighting makes all the difference for sure

My only advice for garage electrical is to run 2-3 separate circuits for your workbench area, and 1-2 separate circuits along your wall for large equipment, table saws, welders etc. There is nothing worse than tripping breakers in a workshop. Being able to stagger your loads means almost no chance of accidental overload. This would be in addition to basic receptacles as required by your local code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweep an area in the middle of the shop, get your favorite hammer drill and bust a couple holes in the floor, make a big enough hole to put all your money in and concrete it over.....I didn't do this but you still have a chance......

• Like 3

Sounds like you have it under control. Perhaps these are a few to think about. Either way keep us updated. 

In my dream shop I want a utility sink. Wash out paint brushes and stuff. Expensive to do after garage finished. Only problem there is freezing in winter, 

My parents have battery back up garage door opener. Not a big deal for those who  can do it manually. It's nice for my mom who couldn't do it alone an just wants to get to work. She can still open close door normally. 

My buddy had electrical ran in his ceiling for cord reels. Literally every were in his 60x100 shop theres easy access to electric an air. He also has electric along walls of his horse barn for wall mount fans. 

Heard a guy say his builder got minimum drywall required for garage. After 3 years of parking snowy/wet cars drywall started to buckle. He said it was because the drywall put in wasn't meant for moisture exposure. That's something I heard so not 100% sure. I can't be sure on that one, an think there could be something in building code for drywall applications. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fletcher94 said:

Sounds like you have it under control. Perhaps these are a few to think about. Either way keep us updated. 

In my dream shop I want a utility sink. Wash out paint brushes and stuff. Expensive to do after garage finished. Only problem there is freezing in winter, 

Don't worry about it freezing in the winter... since it's your dream shop you will have a thermostat set at 66 degrees so you wont have to worry about anything freezing.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fletcher94 said:

My buddy had electrical ran in his ceiling for cord reels. Literally every were in his 60x100 shop theres easy access to electric an air. He also has electric along walls of his horse barn for wall mount fans. 

Cheers! I have been pondering whether a sink would be worthwhile. I'm just not sure whether I want to give up the space... hmmm.

I've also thought about hanging power leads, not sure whether I'd use them or not as I've never had them. Do you like them?

7 minutes ago, dwain said:

Cheers! I have been pondering whether a sink would be worthwhile. I'm just not sure whether I want to give up the space... hmmm.

I've also thought about hanging power leads, not sure whether I'd use them or not as I've never had them. Do you like them?

I just think dragging a bunch of stuff into the house to rinse off is a pain. In summer I usually just end up using the garden hose. 

I Love my buddy's power in the ceiling. Not sure the cost but he has really nice air hose reels an electrical reels as well. A garage you could just do a 25' extension cord an have no isssues. In a bigger shop it really helps productivity.  

In my garage I have a extension cord I just leave out. It can get in the way an get tangled cause just lays on the ground. Overhead reels would be much nicer. 

49 minutes ago, dwain said:

Do it Dwain, I've wired my shop with ceiling outlets, very useful for some of my bigger tools that I move about.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have it all under control. (Compared to me anyway)!! :)

My whole workshop is run off 1 power point and about 4 power boards.

I have about 4 temporary $10 halogens from bunnings because the fluros don't work anymore!

I suppose I am saying that there is no need to stress if you put in a 2 gang instead of a 4

Hey Dwain

One thing to consider maybe the tilt panel door, you mentioned that you may remove the ceiling for storage at a later date. Might consider a standard roller door to make that removal a little easier for you in the future.

In regards to removing the ceiling I'd give it some extra thought though as it will make it harder to contain dust from tools and testing. With a standard timber trussed roof there will be a lot of timber exposed for dust to collect on, verses a contained plasterboard area.

Personally I'd look at a good racking system along one wall for any longer lengths of timber, or even some compact external racks on a side wall maybe behind the smaller rear roller door access.

Also lighting for the studio would also be better in a fully sheeted / painted room. If you can get recessed fluros installed even better.

Re insulation, yes installing another layer over the plasterboard when the builder is finished will certainly help. If you can batten the walls out slightly and use a product called "Air Cell" underneath, then even better!

I'd also check with the builder on what an upgrade to 'Sound Check' gyprock will cost you as that could be worth the investment!

Good luck with any road you go down mate, and remember you have years to perfect the ultimate man cave, so don't stress :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On June 29, 2017 at 7:00 PM, dwain said:

A guy at work has a sink in his shop but it is kinda a cool. He set it up in in such a way where his work bench covered the sink but where the sink was he had a pair of hinged doors that would open up to allow access to the sink but would close over the sink for increased work area. Would allow for a sink and yet not take up valuable work space.

15 hours ago, Jronman said:

A guy at work has a sink in his shop but it is kinda a cool. He set it up in in such a way where his work bench covered the sink but where the sink was he had a pair of hinged doors that would open up to allow access to the sink but would close over the sink for increased work area. Would allow for a sink and yet not take up valuable work space.

Clever!!