Millwakee tool chest

WeldfabNeil

Does anyone have thoughts on millwakees 30" wide 12 drawer tool chest? 

Considering one for my woodworking tools an stuff I don't use a lot. It doesn't have to be heavy duty, literally touch them once a month. Currently there just sitting in buckets an boxes in a cabinet. 

I am taking out the cabinet to make room for a hydraulic press. 

I have the 46in bottom box at work and I would not buy it again. The box is not very deep, its only 18in deep so the drawers are less than that. In less than a year the drawers are no longer opening / closing smoothly. 

They are built a little better than the Husky boxes, I've seen two people try and move their boxes and break the welds right off the handle. 

They are decent for the money when compared to a Matco, Mac tools or snap on box. But they will have issues in a commercial environment.  In a home garage they should give you years of good svc.

I think Milwaukee is redoing their tool chests and making them deeper, so there may be some good deals around on the old line.

• Like 1

It's a nice sized cabinet for most people. The problem is there's only one tall drawer, a circular saw will take up almost half of it. It's great for hand tools but a bit limited for power tools. If you can store it with the lid up, you can a few more pieces up there or hang some off the side. Most boxes have the same problem though.

It should work for you. To me it looks like the new Husky and Milwaukee boxes are made by the same company. One thing I like over the old husky boxes is that the top doesn't have a lip, I'd trade this one for my old-style Husky in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Spent the money and got the Millwaukee box. 

I totally agree that Millwaukee boxes wouldn't hold up to heavy use. Honestly I don't think any of the boxes at Home Depot or lowes would hold up to commercial use. 

That said I just needed something for light home use. I just don't need my woodworking tools enough to justify something expensive. Literally I touch them once a month. I have a snap on box for some tools at home. Its about 15 years old, but works fine. There is also a craftsman bottom box an a Kennedy machinest chest. I really don't do much work in my garage. A majority is done out of my truck, that's were most of my tools are.

At work I have a lista triple bank 25 drawer box an a proto 3 drawer service cart. Those are both able to withstand daily use in a industrial environment.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Framer joe said:

You can't fit a toolbox in an f450 ? Really .? Something wrong there @Fletcher94

Lol that was what I was thinking as I called my mom. I have my welder in the middle of the bed an my backseat is full of tools. 

If I wanted I could of put it on a angle on the side an just tied it down. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, Fletcher94 said:

Spent the money and got the Millwaukee box. 

I totally agree that Millwaukee boxes wouldn't hold up to heavy use. Honestly I don't think any of the boxes at Home Depot or lowes would hold up to commercial use. 

That said I just needed something for light home use. I just don't need my woodworking tools enough to justify something expensive. Literally I touch them once a month. I have a snap on box for some tools at home. Its about 15 years old, but works fine. There is also a craftsman bottom box an a Kennedy machinest chest. I really don't do much work in my garage. A majority is done out of my truck, that's were most of my tools are.

At work I have a lista triple bank 25 drawer box an a proto 3 drawer service cart. Those are both able to withstand daily use in a industrial environment.

Sorry, I am late to the party on this one. Yeah, I agree about the heavy use on the Milwaukee box. I am convinced that none of these boxes and Lowes or Home Depot would... regardless of the brand name on them. It's not like Milwaukee or DeWALT actually manufactures them, since they are the same box for the most part... the main difference is a paint job and a logo. 

5 hours ago, FrosBros82 said:

Sorry, I am late to the party on this one. Yeah, I agree about the heavy use on the Milwaukee box. I am convinced that none of these boxes and Lowes or Home Depot would... regardless of the brand name on them. It's not like Milwaukee or DeWALT actually manufactures them, since they are the same box for the most part... the main difference is a paint job and a logo. 

Husky too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Can’t speak on commercial use but Milwaukee Tool Chests are great for home use. I’ve had mine (350 lbs monster) for a year now and by far meets all my needs.

811D1A17-51BA-4E5C-874E-C50E69EDC351.jpeg

• Like 2