Milwaukee M18 Jobsite Radio - Broken power knob issue.

Nick Tanasy

I'm sure this topic has probably been discussed but I just can't seem to find anyone who has figured out a fix for this issue.

I have the Milwaukee M18 Bluetooth radio/M18 Battery charger combo. Fantastic radio, love it a lot. Only problem I've ever had with it is the power knob in the center which is also the volume, has somewhat collapsed into the radio. It still (kinda) works, although to turn it on you have to press as hard as you can to make it turn on.

This has become increasingly frustrating, and I'm tired of it. I spoke directly with Milwaukee Tools and short of replacing the whole circuit board, he couldn't come up with a solution. He said he never knew of the issue even though in the past I've run into countless people that had the same problem. Does anyone know of a fix?

IMG_6380.JPG

IMG_6381.JPG

IMG_6382.JPG

Sounds like the switch is either lose or has a bad connection.  I can't tell from the picture, but is the switch integrated with the circuit board?  If it's not, it is possible that there is a screw or connector behind it that has come loose.

Your other option would just be to have it fixed under Milwaukee's e-repair program.  It doesn't look like it's been abused, so I'm pretty sure they'd just replace it for you free of charge.

Can you get it to work just twisting the post?

Generally these are mounted butted up against the board, for this application. It's possible to find another pot to replace it but it's working, so it's probably not really the problem. I imagine the board itself is pushed it and a little loose, generally those use self-tapping plastic screws so they aren't terribly strong. You'd have to take out the board for me to give you any real advice, right now it's just guessing.

From the picture, it's hard to tell the issue.  Might be a dumb question, but are your sure the plastic isn't broken where the knob sits against the metal rod?  Does the metal rod turn easily without the rod?

I don't think these radios have been out longer than 5 years and if that's the case, it's still under factory warranty.  Double check, but I believe the radio has a 5 year warranty.  If they don;t want to send a know or something simple, send it in.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/eservice

• Like 2

On 8/1/2017 at 8:25 AM, Eric - TIA said:

From the picture, it's hard to tell the issue.  Might be a dumb question, but are your sure the plastic isn't broken where the knob sits against the metal rod?  Does the metal rod turn easily without the rod?

I don't think these radios have been out longer than 5 years and if that's the case, it's still under factory warranty.  Double check, but I believe the radio has a 5 year warranty.  If they don;t want to send a know or something simple, send it in.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/eservice

Radios unfortunately only have a 1 year warranty.   I guess they expect them to be thrown off of the roof of a garage or a really tall ladder, not that anyone would do that around here...

• 1 year later...

Hey mate I was having the exact same issue. When you take the cover of the front under the probe sticking out where the button is there is a little hex nut. I pulled my probe out as far away from the speaker as possible than tightened the nut up. This fixed the issue for me. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017 at 11:42 AM, khariV said:

Radios unfortunately only have a 1 year warranty.   I guess they expect them to be thrown off of the roof of a garage or a really tall ladder, not that anyone would do that around here...

It's because Milwaukee doesn't manufacture them. The Hong Kong manufacturer that does also makes radios for Hilti and Metabo.

• 1 year later...