Dcf887 problem ?

Craigh9916

I have the dcf887 and just recently it jumps between speed 2 and 3 when it's in speed number 3 , I don't mean the switch moves it's in speed 3 but the speed keeps fluctuating up and down so one minute it's really fast then it slows down it's really annoying ! Has anyone else come across this at all ? I'm thinking of buying a new one and selling this on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a couple of issues that required the use of DeWalt's warranty...  The DCB102 dual charger stopped charging on the right side a few months after I bought it.  I contacted DeWalt and was told to ship it to the closest repair center, where they would almost definitely replace it as opposed to repairing it.  Granted, I had to pay for shipping on that one, but a brand new charger was on my doorstep within a week.  I also had a DS450 ToughSystem box with a snapped-off handle.  They sent me a mailing label and within a week of shipping it to them a new one was on its way.  Not too bad, especially for the latter as they might have tried to claim the damage was through abuse (fortunately, the box was pretty clean and unscathed besides the broken handle).

• Like 1

Had a Porter Cable drill that i bought from Amazon, I smoked the motor and called Lowes, they said bring it in with everything that came with it, I did, they checked the date in the battery slot and said no problem and swapped it out for a new in the box kit batteries and all.  Porter Cable and DeWalt are part of the same company... give it a shot at Lowes.

I'm VERY hard on my 887, I mean really hard, fell of 2 stories many times, mud, drywall screws and dust, sawdust, some car work, lots and of deck screws, lags, heck even a bunch of cabinets.  I easily have over 400 hrs of motor spinning time on mine.  I'm sure @Framer joe has pushed his just as hard or harder or a lot harder, but really the 887 is a tough MOFO.  I once thought I had a rough chuck wobble after dropping it off a roof..... turns out i bent the bit extension. 

Seriously find a local retailer that will just swap out another for you, sounds like the problem is the board but hey there is always a bad apple in a bushel, don't let this hiccup make you wanna use a red tool from a company owned by red China with a name from an American city. 

• Like 1

Ya, I've had a bad Dewalt tool just never used a repair center..whoever I got it from just sent a label and sent a new one back, quick.....Dewalt always stood behind their tools for me even 3/4 years later.....maybe because I buy a lot of tools,don't know...

........I have many 887 and they see hard work driving lags,timberlocks,big screws, every weekend...15/20 hrs x50 weeks a year ..1000's of hours on them and no problems...that's why I love Dewalt tools,,they take real world abuse, like @Cr8ondt dropping them from high up.....great company,great tools!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Sparky Maker said:

I am using a DeWalt DCF887, today it started not engaging the impact clutch sometimes, if I reverse it the next forward generally works.  Is there some type of lubrication that should be done to it?  What is the problem.  I drive 2.5" woods screws most of the day and the environment is very wood dusty.

its not really a clutch.  its a spring loaded hammer mechanism.  when enough pressure is encountered, the hammer rises, turns, and impacts.  if its not hammering, is it stalling?   any grease should work inside it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You may have or someone else used your drill and could have used 2 hands and accidentally pushed and switched gear speeds while driving in a fastener or screw at the same time. I burned out the gears on my 18v drill that way and my gen 1 887 just started squealing bad recently while drilling with 3/4" auger. Drill has been a beast, maybe time for a new one. I'll have to look for an older dated gen 1 model because I dont trust the new Stanley black and decker models

• 4 weeks later...

I see a few remarks "did you push the tool too hard?" Seriously, it's a Dewalt, it's supposed to be pro grade tool. I know this, in a few tool challenges against Milwaukee and Makita, the 887 has been known to fail to the point of smoking and nearly catching on fire. They don't have an over load sensory where they shut down if they are over- loaded like other impacts do. Dewalt 887 is a middle of the pack, apprentice/serious DIY impact. 

Edited by The Buff
More detail to my statement

With the 887 slow/fast intermittently is usually either a bad contact on the 3 position switch at the bottom which u can rectify with some crc and just working the switch a bit OR the winding in the motor is burnt and it’s only a matter of time before it will just cease to work at all. Just be aware removing the screws on any tools will void any warranty you have so if it hasn’t expired,don’t do it 

• 8 months later...
On 8/4/2017 at 8:25 PM, Craigh9916 said:

I have the dcf887 and just recently it jumps between speed 2 and 3 when it's in speed number 3 , I don't mean the switch moves it's in speed 3 but the speed keeps fluctuating up and down so one minute it's really fast then it slows down it's really annoying ! Has anyone else come across this at all ? I'm thinking of buying a new one and selling this on eBay.

On 8/4/2017 at 8:25 PM, Craigh9916 said:

I've have same problem -i do use it over a year and didn't register it with dewalt.