Rename forum section

JMG

I would like to suggest that the "Ultimate Tool Bag Giveaway" section be renamed to "TIA Announcements and Giveaways" or something similar and that new thread starts in that section be limited to forum staff. The current trend seems to be away from a single tool bag award at the end of the year and it seems that the section might be better served with a new name if that trend is going to be maintained.

I think it would be better to just delete it. Maybe move the threads with a winner to the giveaway section but at least hide it for guys with less than 100 posts. I stopped clicking in there because it's always a guy with 0 or 1 posts posting about wanting to win a tool that just came out. I mean I can't blame them, we all love giveaways but that's not what the forum is about.

• Like 1

Here is the tricky thing.  We want to reward the real users in the forum, but we also want to attract new people who might be cool and contribute to the forum.  Merging them would be great to keep things easy.  Just have to decide if we should hide it from new people where they only come on once or twice to chime in to win but never contribute.   Let me know.

• Like 1

Here is the tricky thing.  We want to reward the real users in the forum, but we also want to attract new people who might be cool and contribute to the forum.  Merging them would be great to keep things easy.  Just have to decide if we should hide it from new people where they only come on once or twice to chime in to win but never contribute.   Let me know.

Merging is a great idea!
As for loyalty giveaways, you could always have a minimum post count or minimum membership length.
Attracting new people pays the bills after all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

I would not hide the giveaway section from new users, the ultimate tool bag section seems to get the people that come in, post and leave. The member giveaway section tends to help initiate new members because we talk and joke around there...I think it shows them that this isn't just a forum but an online community of friends.

I've joined a forum because of a giveaway before so there's definitely people that will join and stay because of a giveaway. I don't mind the idea of combining the sections.I only mentioned hiding the forum for new members as an alternative to combining the forums(I've been thinking something should be done for a while). 

If you unsticky the UTB5 thread then the section will dissolve into the member giveaway section so it solves the problem. If you guys think you want to bring it back maybe just hiding it entirely is the easy solution...but then you lose the value of showing new members the big giveaways of the past. You could also lock the forum but that might confuse new members.

All in all it's not THAT big of a deal, it seems that the forum does well welcoming new members and they all seem to get the flow of the forum rather quick...like using the power tool section "What tools did you buy" thread for everything instead of having new members make new threads in different sections or even ask why we do it there. I don't see spam comments to get post counts up either.

I personally am for the "must post x amount of post until you can see the giveaways section" just to keep spam down but I could see the other side of the coin where leaving it open to all will bring newbies in. Will UTB ever come back?  Would UTB make a difference to what we decide? Another option is we could set it up to where you can see the section but can't post in that section until you have reached a certain amount of posts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Good points.  Will have to figure this one out.  Not sure about bringing back the UTBG.  Over the last couple of years, we wanted to spread the tools around instead of one person getting everything.

I really like seeing (nearly) everyone get something.

Interesting ideas.  As usual, I dropped the ball on giveaways.  We had some giveaways planned for the forum but got to caught up in the new website design.

What do you guys think about merging the two for now?  If it gets bad we can take the next step.    I can also let new people see the thread but if you like we can stop them from posting in there until they get 15 posts or something along that line.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Interesting ideas.  As usual, I dropped the ball on giveaways.  We had some giveaways planned for the forum but got to caught up in the new website design.

What do you guys think about merging the two for now?  If it gets bad we can take the next step.    I can also let new people see the thread but if you like we can stop them from posting in there until they get 15 posts or something along that line.

Sounds great to me!

The new website design is like a giveaway to everyone haha