Cordless Tool Trivia

dwain

23 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

Thank you :) what's the full name of an ' oz' ? :D

ounce in this case liquid ounces,  there is 2 different ounces

1 liquid ounce measures volume 

1 ounce measures weight

but same name????

however 8 ounces of water is equal to 8 ounces of weight go figure but it is only that for water, everything else might be a different 

8 hours ago, comp56 said:

ounce in this case liquid ounces,  there is 2 different ounces

1 liquid ounce measures volume 

1 ounce measures weight

but same name????

however 8 ounces of water is equal to 8 ounces of weight go figure but it is only that for water, everything else might be a different 

Not the simplest for an outsider :)

@comp56 I'm out of ideas so you can ask the next question

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I will keep this going

Name 5 tools from DeWALT that are hybrid meaning corded or cordless. Cannot include radios. Avoid similar tools like drill vs drill with hammer mode or fixed saw vs sliding. Something like a spot light vs an area light would be different enough to count as different guesses.

@fm2176 I thought the vac was corded too but I checked and saw nothing mentioned about being able to plug in. I could be mistaken though, I'll give it to ya though. Your up.

The other one I was thinking of was an old 18v fluorescent light. There was this 18v/20v led  light I thought was corded but same deal as the vac. No mention of being able to use a cord.

14 hours ago, Jronman said:

@fm2176 I thought the vac was corded too but I checked and saw nothing mentioned about being able to plug in. I could be mistaken though, I'll give it to ya though. Your up.

The other one I was thinking of was an old 18v fluorescent light. There was this 18v/20v led  light I thought was corded but same deal as the vac. No mention of being able to use a cord.

DeWalt offers 2 versions, cordless and hybrid.  I have the cheaper battery only version. 

Next, I'll offer a convoluted question with an easy answer:

What did early ni-cad to lithium battery conversions require the purchase of?  What would happen if the original equipment were used?  To clarify: Ryobi, Porter Cable, and other manufacturers offered 18v ni-cad systems that later adopted lithium ion batteries.  These batteries were not compatible with all components of the original ni-cad kits.

1 hour ago, fm2176 said:

DeWalt offers 2 versions, cordless and hybrid.  I have the cheaper battery only version. 

Next, I'll offer a convoluted question with an easy answer:

What did early ni-cad to lithium battery conversions require the purchase of?  What would happen if the original equipment were used?  To clarify: Ryobi, Porter Cable, and other manufacturers offered 18v ni-cad systems that later adopted lithium ion batteries.  These batteries were not compatible with all components of the original ni-cad kits.

a new charger?

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Quick question, this seems like the right thread. In the film The Driller Killer, the killer adapts a mains power drill to run off a power pack on his belt. How feasible is this? How practical would it be to run amok with a power pack on your belt? Asking for a friend

51 minutes ago, SFLDave said:

Quick question, this seems like the right thread. In the film The Driller Killer, the killer adapts a mains power drill to run off a power pack on his belt. How feasible is this? How practical would it be to run amok with a power pack on your belt? Asking for a friend

In 1979, when the film was made, it would be impractical.  Now, maybe not so much.  While not designed to run power tools, Milwaukee and Ryobi both make cordless single-battery inverters, while the DeWalt power station could easily run a drill and would be able to fit on a harness or in a backpack.

Tell your friend to invest in a cutoff saw instead.  They'd probably be much more effective, even if a lot messier.  👶

4 minutes ago, fm2176 said:

In 1979, when the film was made, it would be impractical.  Now, maybe not so much.  While not designed to run power tools, Milwaukee and Ryobi both make cordless single-battery inverters, while the DeWalt power station could easily run a drill and would be able to fit on a harness or in a backpack.

Tell your friend to invest in a cutoff saw instead.  They'd probably be much more effective, even if a lot messier.  👶

Pretending it is approximately 1983 what would be the difficulties of adapting mains drills to, I guess, a DC power source? 

35 minutes ago, SFLDave said:

Pretending it is approximately 1983 what would be the difficulties of adapting mains drills to, I guess, a DC power source? 

Good question.  I'm no expert, just a lowly Soldier who did some quasi-electrical work in my civilian job twenty years ago, but I'd say that some sort of DC converter would be needed, and a smallish car (motorcycle, perhaps?) battery would be the most optimal for power versus size/weight.

I'll have to check out the movie, but if I go on a spree I'll be glad I've got multiple cordless drills and saws along with numerous bits and blades.

I know (hope?) your questions are theoretical and meant to add some dark humor to the forums.  Even so, I'll state that my responses are in no way to be considered advice.  As an American I own a few dozen firearms, none of which have taken a life since the mid-Twentieth Century (Mosins, and Mausers, and Enfields, oh my!).