Die Grinder

FrosBros82

• 1 month later...

I just got one the other day and i havent been able to really test it but after playing with it a little I've found a couple small annoyances. First thing the collet is almost impossible to get to release short of a vise and/or hammer.  Second is the collet requires a 11/16" and 1/2" wrench to release.  Which you would think is a nice standard size but they didn't machine enough of a slot to fit a normal 1/2" wrench.  Instead it's only wide enough for there cheap little spanner wrench which will be lost or not there when you need it.

I'm hoping that with some use the collet wedge will loosen up a bit.  The wrench thing I've found that some wrenches fit but the first 3 I tried didnt, I'm sure it will be fixed by taking a grinder and widening the slot a 1/16th".  It just not something I want to do on my new toy, I'll let it get a few scratches first haha.

I try to keep all the wrenches that come with tools in either a specific drawer or with the tool itself. For routers they stay with the router accessories, same for the drill press. My Rotozip has them in the bag with the tool and accessories. Others sit in my extra wrench drawer. 

Maybe store it with the bits? You need the bits and the wrench at the same time, might as well keep them in the same place. Organized => more efficient and less likely to lose things you need.

On 9/29/2017 at 8:15 PM, Biggie said:

I just got one the other day and i havent been able to really test it but after playing with it a little I've found a couple small annoyances. First thing the collet is almost impossible to get to release short of a vise and/or hammer.  Second is the collet requires a 11/16" and 1/2" wrench to release.  Which you would think is a nice standard size but they didn't machine enough of a slot to fit a normal 1/2" wrench.  Instead it's only wide enough for there cheap little spanner wrench which will be lost or not there when you need it.

I guess I don't know your level of experience so I don't know if this will offend you or not, sorry if it does. You are tapping the burr/attachment in toward the collet first to get it release, correct?

I try to keep all the wrenches that come with tools in either a specific drawer or with the tool itself. For routers they stay with the router accessories, same for the drill press. My Rotozip has them in the bag with the tool and accessories. Others sit in my extra wrench drawer. 

Maybe store it with the bits? You need the bits and the wrench at the same time, might as well keep them in the same place. Organized => more efficient and less likely to lose things you need.

Weird thing the wrench for the M18 drywall cut out Tool has a bottle opener on it 🤷🏼‍♂️ sorry to get off original topic OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

None taken, I'm always open to info.  But yep I've had pneumatic die grinders for awhile and while I can't say I've never had a bit get stuck.  Like you say you give the end a tap and it releases which is why it was a little annoying when the fuel didn't release that easily.  Maybe it's something wrong with my die grinder but I pulled the wedge out and I don't see anything obviously wrong.