New Makita LS1019 10" slide saw

Trident167

I was about to invest in a new mitre saw and this was my choice but it seems there is an issue I think should be made aware for others. It was pointed out on instagram and it seems others, as they are purchasing this saw, are noticing this out of the box. The detent stops have a little play, ever so slightly and it's more noticeable at 0. 

• Like 1

Every Makita mitre saw I have used has that issue. The detents are just a quick find, you should then lock it in place before cutting. Once you do your initial set up and get your zero set to the orange arrow the rest will line up. Not a big deal like toolaholic is making out.

Hes made a big deal about stuff like that on other miters too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Even if it's not a big deal, if other saws have a better, nicer lock, it will still make people second guess

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I saw this video on IG too. I am with @KnarlyCarl on this. While I don't think it is the biggest of deals, I do think that other saws don't have this issue, so that could be a negative to buying Makita. I have the 1016, which for me does not have this issue, however.

• Like 1

What bothers me... He's been using that saw for 2 weeks. Not a single problem. So it's not a ' problem' you notice in real life.

Then someone points something out and all of a sudden ' I can't find the 90 degrees. Where's my 90 degrees colder

And EVERY saw, even the mighty kapex, has a millimeter or more  play from left to right  when the sawhead is extended fully. 

• Like 2

Unless you have only just started in the world of tools, you will remember that not that long ago mitre saws never even had indents, you just lined up the arrow with the degree line, which you still need to do with the detent on this saw, no big deal. Would this put you off buying the saw? Maybe if everything else about it was identical to another model, but that won't happen. "I love the left/right bevel, the side rail system, the bluetooth, the dual dust collection system, the cut capacity, front bevel control, being able to put it up against a wall, but I am not buying it because I have to line up an arrow to a line by half a mm to make a cut" Really?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tool Lover 69 said:

Unless you have only just started in the world of tools, you will remember that not that long ago mitre saws never even had indents, you just lined up the arrow with the degree line, which you still need to do with the detent on this saw, no big deal. Would this put you off buying the saw? Maybe if everything else about it was identical to another model, but that won't happen. "I love the left/right bevel, the side rail system, the bluetooth, the dual dust collection system, the cut capacity, front bevel control, being able to put it up against a wall, but I am not buying it because I have to line up an arrow to a line by half a mm to make a cut" Really?

Don't misunderstand me, it's a great saw and even with the detent issue, it's still one of the better saws. When you compare to other saws of this calibre, they don't have the same problem and that''s something that Makita should fix. As a customer I shouldn't have to bring a product home and then re adjust parts to make things work.

The sloppiness at 0 degrees isn't that bad but it can be frustrating to try and get as perfect to 90 cut as possible.

Glad to know there's a fix for it now.

9 hours ago, Trident167 said:

Don't misunderstand me, it's a great saw and even with the detent issue, it's still one of the better saws. When you compare to other saws of this calibre, they don't have the same problem and that''s something that Makita should fix. As a customer I shouldn't have to bring a product home and then re adjust parts to make things work.

The sloppiness at 0 degrees isn't that bad but it can be frustrating to try and get as perfect to 90 cut as possible.

Glad to know there's a fix for it now.

Sorry but you are wrong. With EVERY mitre saw you have to do a calibration check when you buy em new. There isn't a single saw that Always comes 100% calibrated out of the box except for maybe the kapex. 

You can get lucky and get a nicely calibrated one but in transport these things get banged around on the truck and there's a big chance some calibration will be off Abit. That's why all decent saws have adjustable end stops/detents/etc...

This is not an issue. This is taking 10 minutes of your time to dial in a € 500 dollar investment so it can serve you for years

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Craig13 said:

So I just bought this saw I’m on second saw with the same problem when I lay it over to do a bevel cut it won’t cut square can any one help please? I really like this saw but not cutting square makes it pretty much useless!! Thanks Craig

0CDEDFEE-7F02-4EDB-AB67-307AAA12874D.jpeg

YouTube has tens of videos how to square up the saw. 

On 11/2/2017 at 9:30 AM, SchenzhenSpecial said:

As much Makita as I have and I have had mitre saws from Makita in the past, I wouldn't buy one now. They just don't scream accuracy at me and now it seems it's becoming plain to see. 

Couldn't give you a percentage of course but imma guess 90 of 100 come square out of the box and off the remaining 10  it's 8 then just need to be adjusted ( which you pretty much should do for every saw )

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

Couldn't give you a percentage of course but imma guess 90 of 100 come square out of the box and off the remaining 10  it's 8 then just need to be adjusted ( which you pretty much should do for every saw )

You wouldn’t happen to be a little biased would you 😜

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

You wouldn’t happen to be a little biased would you 😜

I am. 

But only people with negative experiences call it out on Facebook/Instagram/forums. People who get a normal one don't make posts about it.  And people are not too rational about it.

There's already thousands of these saws sold. And while there have been a few with bend bars ( like the wood whisperers in Instagram ) that's a production error. That happens and that's what u have warranty for. But 9 out of 10 people complaining there saW is faulty haven't even tried to square it up. 

Because it's easier to make a fuss on social media that your tool is broken, then to take 30 minutes of your time to square the saw up.

2 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

I am. 

But only people with negative experiences call it out on Facebook/Instagram/forums. People who get a normal one don't make posts about it.  And people are not too rational about it.

There's already thousands of these saws sold. And while there have been a few with bend bars ( like the wood whisperers in Instagram ) that's a production error. That happens and that's what u have warranty for. But 9 out of 10 people complaining there saW is faulty haven't even tried to square it up. 

Because it's easier to make a fuss on social media that your tool is broken, then to take 30 minutes of your time to square the saw up.

Sorry dude. I was kidding. Hence the winking happy face 🤘