2x20V lawn mower

Pouet

12 hours ago, Babysaw said:

There are websites that track ethanol free stations, price and octane. I go to a marina, which is everywhere in Puget Sound but may not be for you. Is electric the right option for you? Sure. But gas will always win in effectiveness. 

Ive tried plenty of electric trimmers, and there isn’t a single one that delivers a tenth the power of my Stihl 130R, and if you’re a homeowner, always buy the canned gas. Your mix machines run forever with no maintenance if you run premix. 

To be fair, none of this sounds 1/10th as convenient as taking batteries off the shelf that are intended for high drain applications, clicking them in place, and getting work done.

My FlexVolt string trimmer has all the power I could need and then some. I’d have preferred a system with attachments like the Makita, or your Stihl, for versatility, but the Dewalt cost me $65 USD over the cost of batteries I was getting for woodworking anyway; amazon one-day deal.

8 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

Not a single unit that has a 1/10th the power eh? I doubt you have tried the EGO models, especially the power head model.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ve ran Ego stuff, the blower is the best. Saying electrics don’t have a tenth the power of a 130r is more a comment on the 130r, which I limb trees with (chisel tooth saw blade). An ego won’t let you trim a 10” branch.

The EGO Power head has a 10" chainsaw attachment and it's pretty impressive.

I've never used a 130R so I've no more knowledge there.

I’ve ran Ego stuff, the blower is the best. Saying electrics don’t have a tenth the power of a 130r is more a comment on the 130r, which I limb trees with (chisel tooth saw blade). An ego won’t let you trim a 10” branch.

17 hours ago, Babysaw said:

Ive tried plenty of electric trimmers, and there isn’t a single one that delivers a tenth the power of my Stihl 130R, and if you’re a homeowner, always buy the canned gas. Your mix machines run forever with no maintenance if you run premix. 

+1

I've recently bought the EGO 15" trimmer which is  regarded as one the best battery trimmer on the market. It's a nice tool and can get some job done, but I still find it vastly underpowered compared to my Husqvarna 525LK. Rotation speed is what makes the difference.

I also think that alkylate gasoline is a good option for most homeowners. Cost is a bit high but a good small engine should not consume much anyway.

On 6/7/2018 at 5:21 PM, Bremon said:

I’m unaware of any stations around me that don’t have at least 10% ethanol, and a cordless/electric mower has less maintenance, less noise, and no fumes. For my purposes basically all gas OPE is obsolete. 

Where I live at least, the cheaper option has 10% sometimes 15% ethanol. If you pay a higher price you can buy fuel with 0% and sometimes there is a third option that would be 5%. I buy the 0%.

16 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

Not a single unit that has a 1/10th the power eh? I doubt you have tried the EGO models, especially the power head model.

Is the power head string trimmer more powerful than the non power head 15 in model?

13 hours ago, ChrisK said:

In short....battery power. For a guy who lives in the deep woods who had a pretty decent sized lawn inside my wood palisade is a winner. I cannot speak to the string trimmer but the day my old Echo finally bites the dust (which I have beaten this thing with a stick...it runs and runs and runs and...) I’m going battery power. It gets the work done just fine.

I have been impressed with my Echo too. It keeps on running with no startup issues and doesn't use much fuel. I wan't to go battery as well but I am in the same boat you.

7 hours ago, Jronman said:

Is the power head string trimmer more powerful than the non power head 15 in model?

7 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

That is a great question. I'm honestly not sure. I will reach out to my contact at EGO and see what they have to say.

Yes it is. I asked that exact question to the support a couple of days ago, trying to decide if I should simply replace the trimmer with the power head or switch to another brand.

Under no load, the 15" trimmer max rotation speed is 5800 rpm, the power head goes up to 7000 rpm at max setting (that's 20% more). Having held both in my hands to compare, the difference in sound pressure is very noticeable at full throttle and seem to confirm that the power head spins faster. Unfortunately, it comes at the cost of added weight and way more vibrations.

Back to the Dewalt mower, I noticed the relatively low runtime in many reviews. Not a good sign for those expecting a self propelled version.

17 hours ago, Jronman said:

I have been impressed with my Echo too. It keeps on running with no startup issues and doesn't use much fuel. I wan't to go battery as well but I am in the same boat you.

Echo trimmers run pretty hot, which is why the carbs tend to stay cleaner. 

A note for gas users: buy stihl ultra synthetic oil if you’re not gonna go premix. I’ve been able to ‘fix’ friends tools just by running a couple tanks of the good stuff through their machines. 

I think the power head has the motor near the back instead of at the front. Might be why there is more vibration?
That would be my guess. I don't think it has much vibration at all. The power head is fantastic, motor constantly 'downshifting' when power is needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Stanley "dirt monkey" posted a very negative review video of the Dewalt 2x20 mower  on youtube. Perhaps his testing conditions are a bit extreme for this category of tool.

On 6/8/2018 at 2:42 PM, Makita_2233 said:

June/August will see a new x2 brushless metal deck mower from Makita, the photos look good 

Can't find information anywhere about this new Makita mower. Can you give  a link?

He was stalling it out in grass that was long enough to hide a dead body in lol.

That said; clearly the 5.0s it comes with are insufficient, the charger it comes with is a joke, and the kit itself was obviously put together to hit a pricepoint. The mower itself clearly has some design flaws, unless heating your batteries to fry your eggs on is actually a feature in Dewalt’s eyes.

I have about 1000 square feet of lawn to mow, and I don’t let it grow until it looks like a marshland. The mower is probably aimed more at someone like me. 

• Like 1

I think this is a case of "damned if you do and damned if you don't".  A lot of us were clamoring for a 20v Max mower, but the runtime has proven to be a disappointment for a lot of people.  A bit more refinement--or a kit with 12Ah batteries--could remedy some of the negatives, but then we'd be upset over having to wait longer or to pay a premium for the larger batteries.  Another example of this is the 18v adapter for stem batteries.  DeWalt took its time before releasing one, despite a lot of pleas for such an adapter.  Meanwhile they continue supporting 18v XRP tools, and when the DCA1820 is released a lot of people are upset because it came after they had switched to 20v Max or another brand altogether.

I think the 5Ah battery mower kit was probably bundled with the expectation that buyers would either already be heavily invested in batteries or that they would be cutting only a very small yard.  I'm still considering one as I have plenty of 4Ah to 6Ah batteries to run it with.  I was sorely tempted to buy the 40v mower as it's currently priced at $299, but it seems to have the same runtime issues and I have no other 40v Max batteries.

If the mower can fit 2 flex and some kits in some countries come with flex why not just upgrade the motor to 60v so the heat issues can be mitigated and the performance can be that much better in taller grass. With the better efficiency of flex, a couple 12/4 batteries would be adequate for the average lawn. I would like to see DeWALT come up with a system that a user can use to switch the mower between 60v sequential and 2x60v. It would have sequential for more runtime and 2x for more power. It would take flex to a new level. Not only would the batteries be Flexvolt but the motors as well.

• Like 3

I ended up buying the mower ‘bare’ here in the UK (where that is an official Dewalt option, rather than a reseller removing the batteries/charger from a kit and selling separately).

Expensive but allowed me to just throw in 2x 9Ah batts I already owned.

• Like 3

After many uses...the mower works great..but with higher ah ...flex 6ah is good..my 9ah work amazing...

Design flaws...it has tons of power,built well, durable....just needs larger batteries...

Watch workshop addict...great review of it cutting tall grass with 9ah in it....

• Like 3

Check DeWalts DCMW220P2 2X20V 

I have used my mower for several months and really happy with it. The adjustment lever is quick and easy. It is light and simple to break down and with the handles it is easy to load in the truck. With the 20v 5Ah Batts that came with the mower on normal grass they last about 15 min. I also have two of the 60V Batts 9Ah they last about 30 min. I mowed anther lawn this last weekend and it was very very high and think, as long as I went slow it did fine with only the occasionally lift the deck up so it would not bog down. " I should of used the rear discharge" in any case, after a quick 2nd pass it cleaned it up and cut the grass evenly.
I think the mower is AWESOME!!! My Beef with it is they only send a single battery charger with it!!! So the you have used the mower and put it away, but now I need to make a 2nd trip out to the shed to change the batteries around. Very short sighted and cheap on DeWalts part. At the end of the day I really like the mower, it is quiet and easy to use, cuts well, easy to push and no frustration on starting it.

• 3 years later...

I agree. The DeWalts DCMW220P2 2X20V is a great mower. I work as a lawnmower, and I recently bought it. It's a pleasure to work with it. It fits perfectly in my pickup, and I can quickly drive to my orders. I used to have an older model, and it kept breaking down and lacked power. I had to go over the same area several times. I stopped mowing the grass on my property a long time ago. At some point, I decided to buy artificial grass at artificialgrass-manchester.co.uk. Often people tell me it's a massive detriment to the environment. But I have mown so many lawns that I only want to rest in my home.