Only 1 120v Tool

JakeDewalt

The hyperbole in this thread is reaching levels that my rants do when I'm on a tangent.

I find it hard to believe anyone is laying employees off or losing bids because Dewalt's FlexVolt line isn't diverse enough. Other cordless platforms exist and extension cords are still readily available.

@glass it sounds like a discerning craftsman with high standards such as yourself probably owns or plans to own a TSC55, you know; the industry standard for cordless tracksaws 😝 leave the yellow knockoff for us plebs 😂.

• Like 1

Not going  to beat a dead horse ....but the point is that we went in one direction " Flexvolt " based on the "rapidly expanding line" ....I love Flexvolt , but more was promised and needed...and not delivered.....we could have gone in another direction had we known this.....ya cords will be around a while, ya we can buy into a dozen other platforms with a dozen other batteries and chargers, not logical but doable..

I'm just saying be upfront with your line of tools and the plans for them,  so that people who own and run companies...large or small.... people who spend thousands  can plan accordingly..........probably not going to happen, but sometimes when you complain,,," the squeaky wheel gets the grease " ..........I don't go to work for my health....it's for money ...money for me, my employees families, the other businesses I run........it's all very easy if your just a DIY guy and it doesn't matter when or if anything comes out........rant over......MORE POWA !!!!   

what does 'rapidly expanding line' mean to you?  Personally, I would have thought a few tools a year at most (especially when looking at the 20V line for reference).

I guess this is the crux of the matter.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dwain said:

what does 'rapidly expanding line' mean to you?  Personally, I would have thought a few tools a year at most (especially when looking at the 20V line for reference).

I guess this is the crux of the matter.

I'd say 2017 wasn't rapid but not lacking either. A bunch of tools released at once seems like more than the same amount spread out over the year. We still gotta consider there is still 4 months left in the year which is plenty of time to announce new flexvolt tools. We have already gotten 9 or so flexvolt releases this year which is an average of 1 tool a month. 

59 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

" Flexvolt " based on the "rapidly expanding line"   more was promised and needed

@Framer joe what flexvolt was promised and what is needed?

Plenty of guys above this comment have stated what we need and want...and the relative ease it should be to make them Flexvolt.....example they release the 20v sds plus but no dust extractor.yet .? .no flex vacuum....flex 10" hybrid mitre saw...flex 10" hybrid table saw....we buy flex circ saws ?..Then...you add a rafter hook after we buy them ? Wait years for more lighting and you just copy the Milwaukee rocket and don't even add rubber boots to the base so it won't scratch a finished floor ? 

........I'd be happy to wait for a mower..a fan..a carbon fiber sledgehammer....instead give me......a trim router...a 5" orbital sander...a belt sander...more Tstak....happy about the new tough system stuff...........less cowboy hats that say Dewalt.....more Tools.........  @Jronman.....i love Flexvolt,,just want more tools...more batteries 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 2:00 PM, kornomaniac said:

Damn that's crap.  Why is 110 volt considered safer ? It's not voltage but amps that kill you surely ? 110volt tools do draw more amps then 240 tools I think ?

This is a debate i see alot but dont fully understand so i stay out of it

On 22/08/2017 at 11:15 PM, Turner85 said:

Yes they do on site.  I stay away from sitework though so i stick with 240v tools it just means if i ever do get offered site work they wont allow my tools in the gate

wow that's crazy most places around the world run 240v on site. You are just required to have and RCD which is no hassle as you almost always need a multi box on site anyway and they are pretty much the same size as a standard multi box. It is good practice to run and RCD at either voltage anyway plus modern electrical switchboards have RCDs in them.

On 22/08/2017 at 6:50 AM, Turner85 said:

Im not too sure what you mean by 240v power station. Do you mean the one that takes 4 batteries? If so not available in europe along with the stud drill as far as i can see

yes. I was just making my point that if a tool that runs on two of the same batteries is a different platform then so is a tool that runs on 4. I would argue that a platform is defined as 'a group of tools that can all be run off the same style of battery and charger'. Otherwise you get silly like what I was saying above

5 hours ago, zinzander said:

I'm pretty much just stoked dewalt are putting out a decent 18v angle grinder about 15 years after every other brand😂

By which you mean, the same year as Bosch and a couple of years later than Makita?

Now I'm just being argumentative. Or am I? No, I think I'm being indecisive?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JakeDewalt said:

Yeah Tell that to Joes profit at the end of the job.

Do you pay 5 guys on Friday every Friday?

I do and while I'm not necessarily making a statement myself, I can hear where Joe is coming from.

Buildings have been built for thousands of years. Do Joe's competitors have access to futuristic tools that Joe doesn't that allow them to undercut them? How are other companies making money? How do they manage to pay their employees? Maybe more people should stick to what works and buy into platforms based on proven results and existing product rather than loose promises and projecting their hopes into how those promises will be fulfilled. Meanwhile I'll play the world's smallest violin for you poor guys that have these horrible things called "employees". 🤔

I'm employed by someone else, yes. I've also subbed out as a one man operation to save other companies money. I've also ran crews of over a dozen people, and know all about hiring, firing, and layoffs. My two points are 1) when it's time to sharpen the pencil and cut costs casting blame in the direction of cordless tools makes little sense, and 2) having employees isn't donating to charity; it's being successful enough to have too much work to do yourself, hence the world's smallest violin. 

The person I feel bad for is investing in Bosch they are good tools but don't expect much in specialty tools at all. I will say its a little better now, but in general Bosch has the smallest lineup, and is the slowest growing.

So let me see if I have this straight, all you are asking for is a lot of new tools (some of which do not exist on any battery platform at the moment), If the tool exists, you want them out of the factory door better than any competitor's tools and at a lower price than the competitors. You want tools to include features you want, not necessarily what other people want, rafter hooks, blade left/ blade right, 4 way blade/ variable orbital cut, onboard dust collection/ bluetooth dust collection control, long battery life/ faster battery charge times to name a few. It doesn't seem to matter that the ideas come into conflict with each other as to what is "best". Some folks want to be the first to purchase the latest and greatest tool, then they are unhappy when the next generation tool comes out after the company gets feedback and makes a few changes.

I think I have figured it out, for some folks their "Comfort Zone" or "Happy Place" (if you are fan of Adam Sandler's Happy Gilmore), is actually an unhappy place, finding all the flaws with things instead of the high points. Just a year ago, you didn't have cordless tools with the power of corded tools, now you can't wait for DeWALT to come out with a full size 10 inch table saw or full power vacuum. Allow me to predict the argument to go along with that one will be it should be on an X stand/ rolling stand, not the one it came out on. In the meantime why don't you learn to think outside the box and use what you do have, instead of being unhappy with what you don't.

I think the intent of the argument is based on what one has vs what they want to invest in. 

For instance, I need a proper lighting solution in spaces where electric isn't hot yet, and I'm actually working in one right now. I've been waiting for Dewalt to have a proper, affordable light solution for these instances. Logically you'd assume that with their being a hole in the platform that everyone else has an answer for, competitively it would drive them to do the same. 

I've been waiting for that lighting solution for years. In hindsight of course I would have bought into some other solution if I had known but to invest into something and then have them push out a proper product just after my investment means I spent money on something I didn't really want. I could have gone with Miluaukee last year, and now we're just a few months away from Dewalt's copycat. So I'd have crossed platforms to have the same thing...why is that logical? 

Now you can take this one example and place it across every category on the jobsite. There's got to be a dozen things I've needed for a long time that I haven't bought because I know it's coming down the pipeline. I'm generally happy by what they produce but not knowing it's going to take years to make these basic logical tools is what's so frustrating. 

Nobody wants buyer's remorse. I think that's what he's saying when he's talking about tools making him money, not just because of performance/simplicity but because he's not buying across multiple platforms just to maintain a uniform increase in productivity, spending much more money in the long run. 

I could go out tomorrow and buy corded tools for everything pretty much that I want, but if half of those are going to be available in cordless within a year I'm going to go postal for making that decision. Except years go by without some of these ever coming to fruition. The snail's pace for existing tools just to adapt is frustrating. 

Corded tools are rapidly becoming obsolete. Who wants to buy into that? Not me. 

And yes the power station is a game changer, but the initial investment to keep that running all day is more than double the cost to be able to cycle batteries in 60v x 2 for the same runtime. 

Power Station - 8 60v batteries for a complete cycle, the power station, and 4 rapid chargers = $1,765 investment. 

120v tool - 4 60v batteries for a complete cycle, two rapid chargers = $716 investment.

I think I'll stay inside the box on this one. 

• Like 1

Batteries are nice but they introduced an issue that you did not have with corded. With corded you could buy the best of the best period. With cordless you can buy the best of the best but only from the battery platforms you own unless you buy into a new battery platform. Would be nice to have "universal batteries" any brand of battery fits any brand of tool. Kinda like what Fein and Bosch tried with Starlock on OMT's.

56 minutes ago, Jronman said:

Batteries are nice but they introduced an issue that you did not have with corded. With corded you could buy the best of the best period. With cordless you can buy the best of the best but only from the battery platforms you own unless you buy into a new battery platform. Would be nice to have "universal batteries" any brand of battery fits any brand of tool. Kinda like what Fein and Bosch tried with Starlock on OMT's.

Battery is actually superior, it's just taken until now for it to get there. Mains power is inferior due to amperage limitations that batteries can now surpass. A few years from now high energy cordless tools will be much more powerful than corded. 

People already report the DWS790 is more powerful off the cord. Right now Dewalt is the only name in the game...which is why we want them to stop dragging their damn caveman feet like it's 39,000 BC. 

• Like 1

I can almost guarantee we are just behind a curtain of goodies.

I assume 120v tools that adapt to corded are going threw additional testing because I remember reports of the Miter tripping every breaker in houses and other electrical problems confirmed by Dewalt to be a tool issue. 

Gotta love the passion on here.....ya I'm passionate about tools, especially Dewalt tools...I have never missed a contract deadline in thirty plus years doing this, running two companies and my own ....if I say we can build it by that date ,,by god it will be done....no hurricane Bob or typhoon sally, trucker strike or forest fire will stop us...if I have to cut down the damn tree myself to make 1x8 pine ,,I will......

.....I take great pride in a job well done and on time and budget...we have never advertised and I can count on 1 hand the number of days I actually didn't have work in all that time......basically....just keep your word Dewalt , we do !