DYIer looking for a good tool platform.

Wesley S.

Also don't be afraid of buying into two or even three(12v, 18v/20v, OPE) battery lines. OPE mostly has a different battery platform for anything good; Dewalt Flexvolt or 40V, Milwaukee HD 9.0, Ryobi 40v, Kobalt 80v...so it makes it pretty easy to go to EGO or whatever. There's a benefit with Flexvolt and Milwaukee HD 9.0 is that it's backwards compatible and you can use the chargers on the 20v/18v batteries.

Makita has X2 for OPE which is nice as it uses the same batteries.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wesley S. said:

Thanks for all the help guys. I have narrowed down the first purchase between the DCK287D2 compact hammer kit  from Dewalt and the 2799-22CX compact hammer kit from Milwaukee. I feel that either one will be a solid start for me.

Excellent choices, between those 2 kits DeWalt has the advantages of better (more powerful) tools, BUT the red red kit has a high capacity battery.... Winner: Dewalt.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wesley S. said:

Thanks for all the help guys. I have narrowed down the first purchase between the DCK287D2 compact hammer kit  from Dewalt and the 2799-22CX compact hammer kit from Milwaukee. I feel that either one will be a solid start for me.

What's the pricepoint you're finding these at? Maybe we can find a better deal on them or a newer generation for not much more.

You may also want to browse CPO's promo. http://www.cpooutlets.com/deal-zone/deal-zone,default,sc.html

Out of those two, I'd probably go with Dewalt BUT I think you're doing yourself a huge disservice by basing your choice on just a hammer drill and impact driver, both are going to be professional-level tools. You'd hate to get whatever brand then be stuck having to either buy into the other brand or wait until your brand comes out with a certain tool. Lots of stuff Milwaukee has that Dewalt doesn't. Dewalt has better large saws, can't think of too many things that they have that Milwaukee doesn't. Even pairing head-to-head, sure one is going to win in whatever test but they're all going to be professional tools. Also keep in mind that a lot of people make money off of cheaper brand tools. You can't make a bad choice between drills and impacts, the tools available and availability of tools (local retailers that carry your brand) is a bigger factor. More retailers, more likelihood of sales. Just my wordy $0.04

• Thanks 1

I actually prefer the 5 cell/compact batteries for a drill or impact. For saws I skip the 10 cell and go 15 cell with my flex batteries. I can think of quite a few tools DeWALT makes that you can't get with Milwaukee and vice versa. Either way you will find both brands have most of the basics. I would focus on specific features unique to each brand or tools available to one brand but not the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...