Flexvolt Battery Won't Charge

Jronman

@Framer joe one of my flex 2/6 batteries that I have hardly used was not charging even though it was low on charge. The charger may appear to charge for a short bit then the light on the charger would show as solid like the battery was fully charged which it clearly wasn't. I sent it in and DeWALT sent back a brand new battery.

• Like 1

I did have a battery drop onto the garage floor. Ima guess this could've been the one that dropped. Can't say for sure. I have 3 I use for work which clearly show signs of use at work doing demo and whatnot. They got scratches and whatnot but I got 4 that I use in my garage and they clearly look almost new. They have little to no scratches or other noticable wear or dirtyness. The bad pack was one of the 4 nicer ones.

1 hour ago, Tug said:

This doesn't bode well, I hope mine don't go south! Is there a pattern? Are they going tits-up after heavy use? From being dropped? 

I got my Flexvolt this winter so cannot say but at least it’s not a crap tool like several I have had from Another manufacturer!

2 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I got my Flexvolt this winter so cannot say but at least it’s not a crap tool like several I have had from Another manufacturer!

I'll just keep using and report back to this thread should I suffer a failure. 

On this subject, AvE did a teardown on a flexvolt pack and I'm sure he said the method for switching between voltages is not a simple mechanical switch, but a more complicated set of electronics. I'll have to try and trace the vid and watch it again, this could be making them fragile? 

Found it, entertaining guy. 

@Tug ..rest easy. No Dewalt battery is fragile (pronounced..fra-geel-ee) lol...let me know if you know what movie that came from ?..  back to Dewalt.....I have dozens of flex6 and 9 and 5 and 4 and 3 and 2...no problems ,,,rain snow heat cold...

......shit happens and a bad battery can happen, the good news is ,Dewalt will send you a new one ....so fear not .....now use a another other company's batteries in those same conditions and see what happens...(I know the answer).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

let me know if you know what movie that came from ?..  

now use a another other company's batteries in those same conditions and see what happens...(I know the answer).  

that would be my favorite movie.

I'm guessing the answer is the Germans, Japs, and Milwaukee will probably replace the battery?

@Framer joe I watched an sds comparison vid, filmed in the far east I think, and they actually put the battery packs in a cement mixer with water and left them to get battered and wet for quite some time! Not all survived, hilti definitely did survive, can't remember all of the results, it was ages ago that I watched it. Must've cost them a fortune to put together! 

• Like 1

Hilti...hmmm ..IR...hmmm. Those are the best. ,the "Bugatti " of companies...if they made everything I needed in framing  I'd be all in.....i saw an Asian YT vid on Makita blowing away alll companies in an impact wrench test and the Dewalt was smoking supposedly...hmmm ya don't think so........

Some companies are the best at what they do, Hilti concrete..IR impact wrenches pneumatic tools, I never claim Dewalt is god...it's in my opinion the best for a framer ,construction company..a wide range of superior tools and batteries. ..

24 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

Just a lemon battery. It happens. That's what warranty is for :)

Lithium manufacturing does seem to throw out a lot of lemons, my concern was the complex electronics in these packs, in my book complex = fragile. 

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Lithium manufacturing does seem to throw out a lot of lemons, my concern was the complex electronics in these packs, in my book complex = fragile. 

Could be true ! I think a mechanical switch inside those flexvolt batteries, for the current they draw maybe would be too hard ? The contacts would have to be rather big. Pretty much as big as the contact rails on top of the battery but then you'd need 3 sets inside the battery.

7 hours ago, Framer joe said:

That's the best price I've seen.....i ordered another pair.....I think Milwaukee has a 199 deal for 2/9ah plus a charger.........thanks man !

You're telling me. I'd be paying nearly double that on Amazon UK. I ordered a pair as I have a friend over in Miami at the moment willing to carry them back to UK.........then I found out that all the airlines are limiting transportation of Li-Ion batteries to 160Wh (checked or carry-on). If it was me, I'd take the chance but I'd rather not ask my friend to run the TSA gauntlet so I cancelled the order.

4 hours ago, midogrumpy said:

check this link for battery shipping flexvolt

http://www.2helpu.com/uploads/May 2017 - XR FLEXVOLT Battery Shipping Website Copy- UK 9 0Ah update.pdf

this should help

That's a very helpful link. Thanks.

But asking my buddy to act as a mule is ok. Asking him to negotiate with a pissed off TSA inspector is a favour too far! I'll have to time my next US visit with a similar deal.